General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Gas stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:16 AM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, if you're driving your car every few days, I assume that gets rid of whatever crap has built up at the bottom of the tank?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37
Ah, learning every day. So if there's water at the bottom, and this gets into the engine, does this actually damage the engine in some way, or just makes it less efficient or decrease hp? I mean, none of us are ever driving around with an absolutely full tank all the time. If you fill up say every 2 weeks, then presumably, for a week, you're on half a tank or less. So isn't there always some condensation and water getting to the cylinders? Should I keep my tank full like all the time?
If there's water at the bottom, depending on how much there is it could hydrolock your engine. If it's just a little water that is mixed in with the fuel, it will just run like ****. If you're driving the car, the vapors that are created from being "sloshed" around will keep the air/moisture out. You only need to worry about condensation if the car is going to just sit for more than a month or so, and not be topped off. You only need to worry about a full tank of gas going bad if it's going to sit for 3-4 months or more.

Also, if you're driving your car every few days, I assume that gets rid of whatever crap has built up at the bottom of the tank?
If you're driving it every few days, it will be fine without having to do anything extra.

These fuel/water problems only happen when it just sits without being used for extended periods of time.

Example: I bought a used motorcycle in Aug. The previous owner had topped the tank off sometime in May and then would only ride it down the street and back a couple times a month. I never thought to look in the tank before buying, but I def will from now on. There was about a 1/4 tank left in it but where the gas wasn't touching in the tank was covered in surface rust and the gas had gone bad causing it to run like crap when at WOT. It didn't even smell like gas anymore. So because of the low fuel level and not really being ridden, the metal gas tank got air/moisture inside and rusted the exposed metal along with causing the gas to go bad.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 AM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thx a lot for the info. I'm glad that I haven't done anything bad to my car. What's your take on the whole "too little gas in the tank prevents the fuel pump from cooling well" bit that I keep reading about? I've been told that you should always keep the tank above 1/4 full at all times for this purpose.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thx a lot for the info. I'm glad that I haven't done anything bad to my car. What's your take on the whole "too little gas in the tank prevents the fuel pump from cooling well" bit that I keep reading about? I've been told that you should always keep the tank above 1/4 full at all times for this purpose.
If that was something to worry about, the car designers would make it impossible to go under a 1/4 tank. I don't think it would heat up enough either way.