General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Got my UOA from blackstone labs, Now what the **** do I do with it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 11:51 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Got my UOA from blackstone labs, Now what the **** do I do with it?

As the title says. I heard about people getting these, so i figured I try it out to see how the mobil 1 is doing. I'll attach the pdf for people to look at.

Pretty much what I got from it is that the engine was still finishing breaking in, there wasnt anything serious to worry about, and I can go about 6k before my next change.

Last edited by wakeboardr116; 09-11-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
nogoodname
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats with the wrong engine description and leaving ur address on there...lol

print screen and remove it
Old 09-11-2009, 12:03 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha yea, might want to take that off. I'm no expert at UOAs, maybe Mike can chime in.

Does it matter if his sodium and calcium levels are a little higher than the average?
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by nogoodname
whats with the wrong engine description and leaving ur address on there...lol

print screen and remove it

I dunno why they have it as a 3.6, but I'll take my address off. Thanks for pointing that out. Didn't even think about it.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:04 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
post it over here for comments:

VQ Oil Analysis and Info - MY350Z.COM Forums
Old 09-16-2009, 04:21 PM
goomba

I'd be very weary of high levels of lead in UOA... that indicates higher than normal bearing wear. However, if this is only your third oil change, then that may explain it. With a new car, I don't see why you would exceed 3750 mi factory specified change interval at risk of voiding warranty claim should your motor blow for some reason.
Also, how are you collecting the sample? The right way is to collect the sample as its draining from them motor. Don't get a sample from the drain pan after since it will be contaminated.

Another option is to switch to another brand of oil and see if theres any improvement. I've only heard bad things about Mobil 1 5W/30. UOA's on other cars have shown that the 5W/30 sheers down to ~20 W over time.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:37 PM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by goomba
I'd be very weary of high levels of lead in UOA... that indicates higher than normal bearing wear. However, if this is only your third oil change, then that may explain it. With a new car, I don't see why you would exceed 3750 mi factory specified change interval at risk of voiding warranty claim should your motor blow for some reason.
Also, how are you collecting the sample? The right way is to collect the sample as its draining from them motor. Don't get a sample from the drain pan after since it will be contaminated.

Another option is to switch to another brand of oil and see if theres any improvement. I've only heard bad things about Mobil 1 5W/30. UOA's on other cars have shown that the 5W/30 sheers down to ~20 W over time.
Infiniti doesn't require 3750 between changes. Its just recomended. I changed it at that interval for the first 2 changes, then i switched to synthetic and the guy at the service dept. said i could probably go 5000 between changes now. I'm not sure how they collected the sample, i just gave it to them and asked them to do it.

I'm planning to go away from mobil 1 soon. The only reason i got it again cause i was in desperate need of an oil change and that was the best availible at the moment. Everyone talks about motul oils and i track the car every now and then, so i will probably switch to that on my next one.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:44 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try Eneos. My UOA is floating somewhere on the forum. Result was good.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:59 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoa whoa, you've ONLY heard bad things about Mobil 1? I've heard lots of good things about it??? So what are these bad things? Man, just when I thought I at least had the oil part kinda figured out.... Actually, I've even heard some people say that oil is oil, and that if you change it frequently enough, it really doesn't matter what brand you use.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 PM
goomba

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Infiniti doesn't require 3750 between changes. Its just recomended. I changed it at that interval for the first 2 changes, then i switched to synthetic and the guy at the service dept. said i could probably go 5000 between changes now. I'm not sure how they collected the sample, i just gave it to them and asked them to do it.

I'm planning to go away from mobil 1 soon. The only reason i got it again cause i was in desperate need of an oil change and that was the best availible at the moment. Everyone talks about motul oils and i track the car every now and then, so i will probably switch to that on my next one.
Lets say for some reason your engine blows and you bring your car to the dealership in order to have it fixed under warranty. The first thing they will look at is your service records. All car manufacturers "recommend" a certain interval; in this case 3750 mi for the VQ. They then proceed to deny your warranty claim since you failed to follow their recommended oil change interval.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37
Whoa whoa, you've ONLY heard bad things about Mobil 1? I've heard lots of good things about it??? So what are these bad things? Man, just when I thought I at least had the oil part kinda figured out.... Actually, I've even heard some people say that oil is oil, and that if you change it frequently enough, it really doesn't matter what brand you use.
Welcome
Good reading.

Originally Posted by goomba
So when your engine blows and you tell the regional rep that you changed your oil every 5k and then he denies your warranty claim you are going to cite that guy at the service dept who told you so?
I guess he'll cite his Owner's Manual that says the car is designed to go up to 7500 miles between scheduled oil changes.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:06 PM
goomba

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Welcome
Good reading.

I guess he'll cite his Owner's Manual that says the car is designed to go up to 7500 miles between scheduled oil changes.
If thats wat the manual says, then no problem. Thought it said 3750