General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Teach me how to drive my 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:05 PM
teekaywhy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not shifting w/o the clutch might be one of those cases where ignorance breeds false realities.
I for one, have not tried to shift sans clutch but I have read about it. That method is not taught at most driving schools and it does require a working knowledge of how a manual tranny even works to pull off (in my opinion).
Most folks who do drive standard transmissions do not commit to memory exact shift points and can't tell when it is possible to shift with no clutch. I fall in that category. The readers in this forum may be different but then I'd argue that they fall into a great minority of drivers.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:07 PM
jungwoo0622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have brought up the shifting without using the clutch pedal issue several times. The majority opinion (although grossly misinformed) is that it is horrible for your clutch, transmission, synchros. This is patently false. I have done it for years on various different cars and trucks with no ill effects. I sometimes do it on this car and all is still great so far at 45K. I had a car with over 200K on the original clutch and transmission. That's right, 200K miles on the original clutch. I shifted the way all the time in that car, it is the car I learned to do it on. However, the masses cannot be convinced that this is true so I won't continue to try, there's not point in me doing so. If someone could please simply explain to me why they so adamantly believe it is harmful to the car, I'd be willing to listen. Please provide your personal relevant experience to back up your claims that it's harmful.

BTW, the '92 Nissan Stanza is my nephew's car now and has over 230K on that same clutch.
Black betty knows "how to"
others dont even know how to
Old 08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have brought up the shifting without using the clutch pedal issue several times. The majority opinion (although grossly misinformed) is that it is horrible for your clutch, transmission, synchros. This is patently false. I have done it for years on various different cars and trucks with no ill effects. I sometimes do it on this car and all is still great so far at 45K. I had a car with over 200K on the original clutch and transmission. That's right, 200K miles on the original clutch. I shifted the way all the time in that car, it is the car I learned to do it on. However, the masses cannot be convinced that this is true so I won't continue to try, there's not point in me doing so. If someone could please simply explain to me why they so adamantly believe it is harmful to the car, I'd be willing to listen. Please provide your personal relevant experience to back up your claims that it's harmful.

BTW, the '92 Nissan Stanza is my nephew's car now and has over 230K on that same clutch.
I'll definitely give this one to BB because I know for sure that he knows more than me about this subject

I guess I would just say I think that unless you know how/when to shift w/out engaging the clutch then you run the risk of causing damage. I've driven w/out engaging the clutch on older cars and jeeps and gotten the timing off and just the sound of grinding gears makes me uneasy about it...if I'm totally paranoid then so be it, but I'll take that chance with my G and just use the clutch
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
The thing is, it's not some magical exact RPM shift point. This transmission is particularly forgiving. I'm not saying that everybody should do it, just that it will not tear up your transmission like a number of people have claimed. I have been using the technique for over 15 years and have yet to have any transmission, clutch, or synchro damage or wear. I have yet to see or hear of anyone who is claiming that is is damaging to give me a persona example of anything they are aware of or has happened directly to them.

If you care to try it, simply drive your car normally and pull the shifter firmly out of first and right into second as soon as you back out of the accelerator before the RPMs fall low. Have the RPM at least up at 3500K before shifting out of gear, and make sure the car is not under acceleration when taking it out of or into gear. No need to force it. No rev matching or anything else necessary. If it grinds, that's not good. It shouldn't grind unless you are at very low RPM's. You can get it to go into gear by a quick stab on the accelerator the get the engine back up to the proper RPM. Same goes for the 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 upshifts, as well as the same downshifts. It hangs a bit on the 5-6 shift and so I don't do it. I could if I cared to by finding the exact RPM that it needs to be at becasue the gearing is much closer apparently and it needs to be more precise.

Keep in mind that IMO you gain little if anything by shifting this way, but it won't hurt your car. Again, this is only my opinion based on my automotive knowledge and personal driving experience. I am not an ASE certified technician by any stretch of the imagination, just a dude who's worked on a few cars and is always trying to learn more.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 AM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
I understand that it is possible and won't damage the transmission if done properly but if the op is trying to learn to drive a 6mt smoother i don't think shifting without the clutch is on the top of the list.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:22 PM
teekaywhy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I did the clutch mod today and drove around for a while. I took in about 1 1//4 turns on the threaded rod.

You still have to ease out the clutch, just not as far as the original position.
I'm not totally sold on the mod, but that's probably because i was getting used to the high position to begin with.
I'm back to a "grabby" 1-2 shift but takeoff from red lights seems a little easier.
Jury is still out...