General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help What size hex key for MT and rear differential fill/drain plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What size hex key for MT and rear differential fill/drain plugs?

Does anybody know for certain the size of hex key needed for removal of the drain and fill plugs in the rear differential and the manual transmission case? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:01 AM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't help you with the hex key sizes. But, after you figure it out, can you also let us know which crush washers are needed for the MT and rear ends. I was told one uses the same as the oil drain plug, but one uses a totally different crush washer. Thanks.

P.S. I'm about 4K miles/4 months behind. I plan on switching over to synthetics probably around late October.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by notalk
I can't help you with the hex key sizes. But, after you figure it out, can you also let us know which crush washers are needed for the MT and rear ends. I was told one uses the same as the oil drain plug, but one uses a totally different crush washer. Thanks.

P.S. I'm about 4K miles/4 months behind. I plan on switching over to synthetics probably around late October.
I just went ahead and bought 2 full sets of metric and SAE Allen wrenches, I needed them anyway. I'll post up what the right size is when I get the job done. I'll probably make a DIY with photos for those who need it (I doubt you do).

As for crush washers, I got Nissan PN 11026-01M02. They are the same ones for the oil pan drain plug. I was told (without much conviction or certainty) by a Nissan parts guy that they are the right one for all 4 plugs. We'll see. I got them cheap and shipped very quickly here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-N...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-01-2009, 03:57 PM
notalk

Here's deal for the 350Z manual tranny; you'll need a 10mm hex. Using a hex socket on a 1/2inch drive socket wrench should give more leverage to loosen the bolt than a hex key.

The crush washers may be the same for the both the tranny and rear end. I guess you can confirm this when you take off the bolts. If so, like you say, they should be the same crush washers as for the engine oil drain plug.

Last edited by notalk; 07-01-2009 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

UPDATE:

notalk, you were 100% correct, 10mm is the correct size. I didn't need much leverage at all to break them loose, a long hex wrench worked just fine with only moderate effort. The torque spec is only 25 ft/lbs on the transmission and 26 ft/lbs on the rear diff.

Also, the 11026-01M02 copper crush washer is NOT the correct one for this application, they are for the oil drain plug. I just reused the ones that were there.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 4476
Size:  123.5 KB
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
UPDATE:

notalk, you were 100% correct, 10mm is the correct size. I didn't need much leverage at all to break them loose, a long hex wrench worked just fine with only moderate effort. The torque spec is only 25 ft/lbs on the transmission and 26 ft/lbs on the rear diff.

Also, the 11026-01M02 copper crush washer is NOT the correct one for this application, they are for the oil drain plug. I just reused the ones that were there.
So what brand did you use for the replacement fluid? I'm assuming synthetic. Can you tell any difference with the swap?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Silver37
So what brand did you use for the replacement fluid? I'm assuming synthetic. Can you tell any difference with the swap?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ssion-oil.html

I'm going to drive it a bit more to make sure it's not all in my head. I think that the shifting is a bit smoother, particularly noticeable into 5th and especially 6th where it was a bit stickier than the other gears. I know that 1st gear engagement isn't as abrupt as it was originally. More forgiving of a less then perfect clutch engagement when starting from a standstill.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:26 AM
notalk

UPDATE:

Just to update this thread, in case someone does not read the DIY threads, we think the correct washer is Nissan part number 110264N200, and the retail price should be about $2.64 each.

I haven't read of a fluid change where the washers were also changed. I guess we'll all be waiting to see if you have any leaks with re-using the original washers. Thanks for posting this.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by notalk
Just to update this thread, in case someone does not read the DIY threads, we think the correct washer is Nissan part number 110264N200, and the retail price should be about $2.64 each.

I haven't read of a fluid change where the washers were also changed. I guess we'll all be waiting to see if you have any leaks with re-using the original washers. Thanks for posting this.
Thanks for the update. That is the correct part number that you posted. I've verified it to make 100% certain. You are also correct in stating that it seldom ever gets replaced, even by the dealership when they do the work. I called 4 Infiniti dealerships around the country and none had this part in stock.

I can also report that Betty hasn't leaked a drop of oil since I performed this service.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

FYI - Just noticed per the owner's manual, it looks like the rear end comes with synthetic oil from the factory...no real need to change it early.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

FYI - Just noticed per the owner's manual, it looks like the rear end comes with synthetic oil from the factory...no real need to change it early.
Good point. The way I see it though, a quality synthetic should last 100K miles or so on a car that isn't abused. That means I will spend about $25 and less than an hour of my time probably only once in the life of my car doing this job, maybe twice. While I certainly don't agree with wasting money on changing stuff that doesn't need to be, I guess I considered this for my peace of mind. There is a noticeable amount of metal shavings in both the transmission and differential from break in.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Good point. The way I see it though, a quality synthetic should last 100K miles or so on a car that isn't abused. That means I will spend about $25 and less than an hour of my time probably only once in the life of my car doing this job, maybe twice. While I certainly don't agree with wasting money on changing stuff that doesn't need to be, I guess I considered this for my peace of mind. There is a noticeable amount of metal shavings in both the transmission and differential from break in.
Getting the shavings out would be reason enough for me to swap it out. Did you notice if the drain plug had been magnetized?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Getting the shavings out would be reason enough for me to swap it out. Did you notice if the drain plug had been magnetized?
MT plug no, rear diff drain plug has a large magnet. Covered with metal.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
notalk

My 2008 owner's manual says Nissan Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90. Are you saying this is a synthetic oil? No where on the label or description does it say synthetic. What am I missing here?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

MT plug no, rear diff drain plug has a large magnet. Covered with metal.
Interesting. The change would be worth it just to get rid of the shavings.

Quick Reply: Help What size hex key for MT and rear differential fill/drain plugs?