General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

G37S Smart Key

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
darver415

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S Smart Key

Does anyone know how to get around the car locking after in ACC mode for an hour? I'm towing my new 2009 G37S Coupe 6MT four wheels down behind my motor home. I need to have the car in ACC so the steering wheel does not lock. I've been through the manual and all it talks about is starting the car every five hundred miles and not to exceed 70 mph.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may need to pull the fuse for the steering lock relay - the service manual shows it as Fuse 48 in the engine fuse block. The caution here is that the steering lock system may get confused. Maybe disconnecting the battery with the steering unlocked is another option.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 AM
darver415

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
You may need to pull the fuse for the steering lock relay - the service manual shows it as Fuse 48 in the engine fuse block. The caution here is that the steering lock system may get confused. Maybe disconnecting the battery with the steering unlocked is another option.

Thanks, for your reply, I tried the on position and the battery went dead very quickly. When I charged it back up the tire sensors were confused and need to be reset. I will look for the fuse.

Thanks again, Daryl
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
aznutx

learned somethign new with the lockup but i hope you get it resolved. as i see that as extremely dangerous
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe get a trailer? Make sure you some type of cover for your car when towing it, the RV's can throw up some serious rocks.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
darver415

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Maybe get a trailer? Make sure you some type of cover for your car when towing it, the RV's can throw up some serious rocks.
The problem with a trailer is you have to deal with it once you get to your destination. I have a shield to help with stone chips. I towed a Acura TL for 4 years with minimal problems. I just have to get around the locking steering wheel and I will have a real cool ( Toad Car )
Thanks, Daryl
Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here you go: http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...-autotransport

Every state I've lived in has a relatively near-by Uhaul business where you could return the auto trailer once you get to your destination. So IMO, go with the trailer and cover. Sounds MUCH safer than disconnecting fuses, etc. Just my $.02.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 PM
darver415

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Here you go: http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.asp...-autotransport

Every state I've lived in has a relatively near-by Uhaul business where you could return the auto trailer once you get to your destination. So IMO, go with the trailer and cover. Sounds MUCH safer than disconnecting fuses, etc. Just my $.02.
I do lots of weekend trips to different RV parks in States all over the eastern US and there is no where to store a trailer so that option is not available to me. I have already done the towing base plates, supplemental braking and lighting needed for 4 wheels down towing so I'm fully committed to the path I started down.
Thanks for your help, Daryl
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
pdarby

I too have done a lot of motor homing around the country. Towing all kinds of cars. I am planning on getting a bigger class A for retirement, soon, and plan to get a fully enclosed trailer for my G. True, a lot of campgrounds have no place to store a trailer for long periods of time but a lot do have areas for short term parking of trailers and dolly's and such. The beating some of my cars have taken flat towing is just not worth it with the G.. Most of the large trailers also come with wheel brakes and if you travel to Canada, be careful, they require dingy brakes.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
darver415

Originally Posted by pdarby
I too have done a lot of motor homing around the country. Towing all kinds of cars. I am planning on getting a bigger class A for retirement, soon, and plan to get a fully enclosed trailer for my G. True, a lot of campgrounds have no place to store a trailer for long periods of time but a lot do have areas for short term parking of trailers and dolly's and such. The beating some of my cars have taken flat towing is just not worth it with the G.. Most of the large trailers also come with wheel brakes and if you travel to Canada, be careful, they require dingy brakes.
pdarby,

My coach is a 2008 Newmar Mountain Aire 45Ft. If I was retired I would consider a trailer but the convenience of just unhooking is great. I do have a SMI Air Force One air brake that works of the coach air system and is true proportional system. It looks like the fuse sugestion worked.
Thanks, Daryl
Old 07-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Dipstix6996

darver415, did you ever find a solution to "flat towing" your G?