General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Survey about oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:16 AM
snail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Survey about oil consumption

Hi,

I have a 2008 G37S that has just 10K miles on it. I did my previous oil change at approximately 5K miles switching to full synthetic oil and using a full Mobil1 filter. Just the other day, my car started running erratically and shortly after died. I received no check engine lights or anything else, it just died. It would not start any more after it died.

After several days at the dealership, they thought it was a wiring problem but could not pull any codes from the engine. On Friday, I received a call from the dealership saying that they found that my engine had less than 1 quart of oil in it. They blame me for the car dieing due to not putting oil in it. I asked if it had leaked, and was told that it would be very noticeable if it were leaking and was not noticeable. Then I asked if it had burned the oil. They said no, no way a new car would burn 3 or more quarts of oil. I asked where would 3 quarts of oil go, and was told "I don't know".

Now that they have established it is my fault, they want to charge me for 3 hours of diagnostics up to this point and I would need to authorize 3 more hours of diagnostics to determine the condition of the engine. Basically I am liable for the repair or replacement of the engine because they think I didn't put oil in.

I have religiously changed oil in my cars since I was able to drive, and this is a first. I show no evidence to support my "lack" of care for my car, and though the car is squeaky clean they feel I am not caring for it. I have my receipt, mileage, and everything for the last change.

I had a G35 that I changed my own oil on, and actually never heard about them having oil consumption problems still I started searching online about my car and ended up here. I read last year people were saying this problem has been fixed in the 37, only to start seeing people saying they are consuming oil.

Can everyone chime in here on if they are consuming oil, how much, mileage, and what dealer they have reported this to? I would like to direct my local service department to those dealerships to get some information about consumption to help support my theory that I am being inaccurately accused of an issue that is notably documented around the net on the previous revision of the motor and is creeping up on the new version.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:19 AM
snail

Also, I did read that the Magnuson-Moss act covers me as far as not being required to change my oil at a dealership, so their claim now is bogus. I'm not concerned about that part, I am just trying to open their eyes to the bigger issue so that we can come to terms with the actual problem and resolve it.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
So you are down 4qts. in ~ 5,000? Did you ever check the oil levels in between changes? Probably not worth the extra $300 to have them look at the engine, nothing you can really do at this point and replacement/repair is not covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by snail
Also, I did read that the Magnuson-Moss act covers me as far as not being required to change my oil at a dealership, so their claim now is bogus. I'm not concerned about that part, I am just trying to open their eyes to the bigger issue so that we can come to terms with the actual problem and resolve it.
Their claim is not bogus if you failed to add the oil or left something loose down there. Now you're stuck with proving to them the engine burned the oil.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:19 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From the owner's manual:

It is normal to add some oil between oil maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions.

CAUTION
Oil level should be checked regularly. Operating the engine with an insufficient amount of oil can damage the engine, and such damage is not covered by warranty.

While this may be a way for Infiniti to use a blanket disclaimer, it's a reasonable warning whether you change your own oil or have it done at the dealer considering I know many people that never check their oil (or even tire pressures for that matter). It's unfortunate that you're in this situation, but I'm surprised that you didn't check your oil level in 5K miles. When you say you've changed your oil religiously, I'm not sure if you mean you change it yourself or go somewhere to have it done. I personally never leave a dealer or service center without popping the hood and checking the basics (dipstip in place, filler cap in place) and I have found times when everything wasn't in place. I once found my transmission dipstick lying across the engine, and I know people who've had all their oil spray out because the filler cap wasn't replaced.

There are many cars today that consume some amount of oil. Subaru's (WRXs) are notorious for using a quart in 2K-3K miles which is not considered abnormal by them, but is not what most people would consider normal. It's possible a slow drip from the filter or drain plug could cause this. Unfortunately, there's not much in your favor.

Last edited by SkyMG37x; 05-31-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM
snail

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
So you are down 4qts. in ~ 5,000? Did you ever check the oil levels in between changes? Probably not worth the extra $300 to have them look at the engine, nothing you can really do at this point and replacement/repair is not covered under warranty.

Their claim is not bogus if you failed to add the oil or left something loose down there. Now you're stuck with proving to them the engine burned the oil.
I did check it, approximately 3K miles ago or so. It was not down considerably, but did need a top off (may be a 1/2 quart). As I said, I wasn't aware of them consuming that much oil. I didn't check the level at my first change to know how much it may have consumed originally.

They already verified that nothing was loose, and there was no indication of leakage from drain plug or otherwise. They confirmed this.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
snail

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
From the owner's manual:

It is normal to add some oil between oil maintenance intervals or during the break-in period, depending on the severity of operating conditions.

CAUTION
Oil level should be checked regularly. Operating the engine with an insufficient amount of oil can damage the engine, and such damage is not covered by warranty.

While this may be a way for Infiniti to use a blanket disclaimer, it's a reasonable warning whether you change your own oil or have it done at the dealer considering I know many people that never check their oil (or even tire pressures for that matter). It's unfortunate that you're in this situation, but I'm surprised that you didn't check your oil level in 5K miles. When you say you've changed your oil religiously, I'm not sure if you mean you change it yourself or go somewhere to have it done. I personally never leave a dealer or service center without popping the hood and checking the basics (dipstip in place, filler cap in place) and I have found times when everything wasn't in place. I once found my transmission dipstick lying across the engine, and I know people who've had all their oil spray out because the filler cap wasn't replaced.

There are many cars today that consume some amount of oil. Subaru's (WRXs) are notorious for using a quart in 2K-3K miles which is not considered abnormal by them, but is not what most people would consider normal. It's possible a slow drip from the filter or drain plug could cause this. Unfortunately, there's not much in your favor.

Well they asked if I had it changed somewhere or did it myself, and said they hope I had it changed somewhere. I told them I had done it, and they said having it changed somewhere makes them liable. I have a hard time understanding how I could stick that to a company like a Jiffy Lube, as they will just say that they filled it to capacity just as I would have. How would they be any more liable than me in this situation, just so I understand? That is of course also understanding about regular checks of the dipstick, which is on me I realize however as you said many people do not. I hadn't checked mine for some time, but not like it was a year ago either.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:01 PM
WhiteG37S

It's very simple..if the oil is not leaking then whoever was the last person to change it is responsible for the level being so low. In this case it's you and you have to pay for the engine. If it was Jiffy Lube, their insurance would be paying for you new engine instead of you!!

I also change my own oil but check it every sunday when I clean the car.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by snail
Well they asked if I had it changed somewhere or did it myself, and said they hope I had it changed somewhere. I told them I had done it, and they said having it changed somewhere makes them liable. I have a hard time understanding how I could stick that to a company like a Jiffy Lube, as they will just say that they filled it to capacity just as I would have. How would they be any more liable than me in this situation, just so I understand? That is of course also understanding about regular checks of the dipstick, which is on me I realize however as you said many people do not. I hadn't checked mine for some time, but not like it was a year ago either.
Have Infiniti start a oil consumption test . Thats the only way to get the ball rolling . Sounds like the same problem I had in my 06 Z . Went through three engines
Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
todd92

Mine uses 0, none, between oil changes. 10k mile OCI, too.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by todd92
Mine uses 0, none, between oil changes. 10k mile OCI, too.
Actually his OCI was 5K.

Why would your OCI be 10K if the longest recommended OCI is 7500 miles? Do you change your filter earlier since that's the weakest link? And if so, you would have to top off the oil. If you're not changing your filter earlier, then you're not doing your engine much good.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually his OCI was 5K.

Why would your OCI be 10K if the longest recommended OCI is 7500 miles? Do you change your filter earlier since that's the weakest link? And if so, you would have to top off the oil. If you're not changing your filter earlier, then you're not doing your engine much good.
He's running quality synthetic oil. Most high end synthetics are capable of running 15-25,000 miles (AMSOIL claims 1 year or 25,000mi between oil changes). Granted, this will not abide by Infiniti's warranty, but if he's doing regular maintenance with high quality materials, he likely won't have an oil related failure.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
He's running quality synthetic oil. Most high end synthetics are capable of running 15-25,000 miles (AMSOIL claims 1 year or 25,000mi between oil changes). Granted, this will not abide by Infiniti's warranty, but if he's doing regular maintenance with high quality materials, he likely won't have an oil related failure.
I'm aware that extended OCI are possible with synthetics, and assumed that's what he's using, BUT oil filters are not designed for that interval and should be replaced more frequently and typically at the recommended OCI. As I stated, the filter is the weakest link, not the oil.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
todd92

I'm aware that extended OCI are possible with synthetics, and assumed that's what he's using, BUT oil filters are not designed for that interval and should be replaced more frequently and typically at the recommended OCI. As I stated, the filter is the weakest link, not the oil.
OWT. I have never had a problem with a filter during an exteded OCI. There was a problem with certain brands over 10 years ago, but they all will last now. FWIW, the filters I have cut open still look new.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
For those of you using extended OCI, I hope you don't have to make an engine warranty claim. Amsoil/whatever other band certainly won't pay for your new engine...
Old 06-02-2009, 12:37 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
For those of you using extended OCI, I hope you don't have to make an engine warranty claim. Amsoil/whatever other band certainly won't pay for your new engine...
I completely agree with that statement. I plan on having this car for a while...I'm fine maintaining the 3750 interval for 4 years....no worries.

Quick Reply: Survey about oil consumption