General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Jack stand points

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:44 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jack stand points

Ok, I've read the manual....I know where the factory jack points are, both the sideskirt pinch welds and the front cross-member and rear differential.....BUT, what I DON'T know is where I SHOULD place jack stands. I have a set of Craftsman 2.5 ton jack stands and I just KNOW if I put these stands at those pinch weld points where the manual SAYS we should, that metal is going to crumple then I'm stuck with no jack points for my scissor jack in the trunk should I need it....

So I'm asking y'all....where are you putting your jack stands, if you use them? Are you using an alternate location? Are you using a special jack stand adapter? Does anyone have any pictures? That would be VERY helpful on here.....even the guys on G35driver and 6MT haven't posted any good solutions.....except using a piece of 2x4 or a hockey puck...

Ok...discuss.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
They say a pic speaks a 1000 words

Your best bet would be increasing the contact area to minimize the the stress on the jacking point
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM
splitmx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
omg thats the scariest thing iv ever seen

that should be in SAW 10

all my jack stand points are bent up lol
Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 AM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same concern. I did not want to mess up the jackstand places under the car in case I ever needed them on the side of the road one day.

My jackstands (old ones) were too big and not shaped correctly. So I bought two sets of these Jack Stands and two sets of these Rubber Caps. With this design, you can turn "sideways" just past the jackstand ridge on the car. Had the car on 4 jackstands for a few weeks while I was doing a bunch of stuff and no problems. Now I also always side a tire under the front and rear when I am working just in case.

Here is the only picture I have with one of the jack stands.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Did a search...maybe this will help
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...ck-points.html
Old 05-28-2009, 11:08 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Thanks for the links Hamster! Those stands look perfect with those rubber caps. So if I got those, if the way I'm imagining it, the V-shape design would match right up with the pinch welds.....kinda like the pinch weld being a hot dog and the V-shaped stand being the bun.....makes sense. I might have to order these.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the same craftsmen stands you have. if you position them correctly you can drop the car down and the weld sticking down your talking about will sit perfect in the middle no issues. take a little practice to get it right but it can be done. or you can do the wood method thats been around a long time. the tires under the car are a safe bet also in case. im planning on changing my fluids again this weekend so i will snap some pics
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
i have the same craftsmen stands you have. if you position them correctly you can drop the car down and the weld sticking down your talking about will sit perfect in the middle no issues. take a little practice to get it right but it can be done. or you can do the wood method thats been around a long time. the tires under the car are a safe bet also in case. im planning on changing my fluids again this weekend so i will snap some pics
Man, you're Mr. Helpful today. Thanks for the upcoming pics, etc. Subscribed.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:36 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my pinch weld is starting to bend. is there a better place to place the stand?

i have the stands by habor freight and the "U" shape piece (like in almost all jackstands) is too deep for the pinchweld... it seems that if i were to place the pinchweld-seam into the crevice (the stand would be perpendicular to the seam) then the fragile part towards the outside from the seam would to be damaged.
so i place my jackstands parallel to the seam so that the U-endpoints are making contact with the seam, instead of the crevice. However, the 2 points of contacts, i guess, cause too much stress and is starting to deform the seam. any suggestions?
btw... i dont wanna try the wood method. seems too unstable :\
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i also noticed that the scissor jacks provided dont actually make contact with the pinchweld seam but to the part of the frame behind it. can i possibley place my jacks parallel to the seam, right next to it? (twoards the inside.. instead of outside)
Old 03-12-2011, 11:04 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Uh?? Hello??
Has anyone ever really looked under their cars?
The frame rails just inside are there.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
if you set it down on the stand slowly, it will NOT bend it. I've had my car on stands all winter without a single issue. Have also jacked up plenty of other G's w/ no issues and using a "non-pinch" jack.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:02 PM
ToInfiniti
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a related question: If we want to rotate tires (back to front, front to back on each side (as pictured), how does one jack up one side (not front and back) of the car while also putting it on jack stands using a floor jack? If the pinch weld is being used as the jack point, then I can't use it or anywhere around it as the jack stand point. Any idea?

I have looked around the forum and don't really see anyone else asking this question. Seems like people either jack up either the front or the back using the rear diff, etc, but don't ever jack up the sides. I get one side up doing it that way, but it would involve only having one tire on the ground, which is a no-no.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Jack stand points-rotate.jpg  
Old 07-28-2014, 08:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by ToInfiniti
I have a related question: If we want to rotate tires (back to front, front to back on each side (as pictured), how does one jack up one side (not front and back) of the car while also putting it on jack stands using a floor jack? If the pinch weld is being used as the jack point, then I can't use it or anywhere around it as the jack stand point. Any idea?

I have looked around the forum and don't really see anyone else asking this question. Seems like people either jack up either the front or the back using the rear diff, etc, but don't ever jack up the sides. I get one side up doing it that way, but it would involve only having one tire on the ground, which is a no-no.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
There's two ways I would do it, either jack up & use jack stands under the rear axle tubes (safest and easiest place for jack stands). And then just jack up front driver side, swap wheels, then jack up the passenger side and do the same.

Or~

Use your spare tire, jack up front, change to the spare (only snug spare w/ 3 nuts), then jack up back, swap tires, and jack the front up again replacing the spare w/ your rear tire.