General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Help Do i have to change my OIl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do i have to change my OIl?

hey I im a noob when it comes to maintenance. I been using Royal Purple SAE 5W30 oil since i bought my car. I change my oil every 3k miles exactly and if not then before. I finally just hit 12k yesturday and going to change my oil again. I was wondering if i should be using a different oil or change to a diff oil. I always hear people say when you get to a certain mile, you change up your oil to something else but i dont know what that is.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:15 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
oh synthetic? hehe there's too many theories out there, we'll have the experts chime in shortly
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if you read the manuel it says our car need full syntheic oil so I'm guessing we need it everything we change our oil.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by aliiin
oh synthetic? hehe there's too many theories out there, we'll have the experts chime in shortly
um i think so hahah. i dont know, hopefully expert do chime in
Old 03-19-2009, 02:24 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by DashKid
well if you read the manuel it says our car need full syntheic oil so I'm guessing we need it everything we change our oil.
really? the only reason im using Royal Purple SAE 5w30 is cause i called the dealership and they told me they use Mobil 1 5w30 at the dealership for all oil change so i just got Royal Purple 5w30 cause its the same Heat temperature or whatever and a better name
Old 03-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
IMO, if you are using full synthetic oil and changing it every 3K miles you are just wasting tons of money! Stop right now. If you use a full synthetic, which is great to do, you can safely change every 5K at a minimum. Even Infiniti only recommends every 3750. Personally, I'd recommend changing your filter and topping off after about 5K and then oil and filter after another 5K but that's just me and my personal experience with Nissan engines and synthetics.

Royal Purple or Mobil 1 it really doesn't matter as both are high quality fully synthetic oils. Any quality synthetic will work.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Black Betty
IMO, if you are using full synthetic oil and changing it every 3K miles you are just wasting tons of money! Stop right now. If you use a full synthetic, which is great to do, you can safely change every 5K at a minimum. Even Infiniti only recommends every 3750. Personally, I'd recommend changing your filter and topping off after about 5K and then oil and filter after another 5K but that's just me and my personal experience with Nissan engines and synthetics.

Royal Purple or Mobil 1 it really doesn't matter as both are high quality fully synthetic oils. Any quality synthetic will work.
thanks for the input. So is my Royal Purple SAE 5w30 synthetic or is it isnt. i just know it says with Syneric hahah. I just change every 3kmiles cause i love my car and want take the best care for it but if i can change at 5k then that be much better haha
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
thanks for the input. So is my Royal Purple SAE 5w30 synthetic or is it isnt. i just know it says with Syneric hahah. I just change every 3kmiles cause i love my car and want take the best care for it but if i can change at 5k then that be much better haha
RP is full synthetic. That's the whole point of fully synthetic oil is to extend oil change intervals while giving better protection that conventional dino oils. If you are changing it every 3K you might as well be using regular oil becasue there is no benifit to using synthetic in that scenario; you're just paying $4/quart too much. The 10K change interval I recommended is somewhat conservative for some people, some change it every 20K or once a year with no problems. I personally wouldn't stretch it that far, but IMO 10K is safe especially if you change you filter half way through ath 5K.

I have 212K on my '96 Maxima and 270K+ on my '92 Stanza with no engine wear related issues.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Ahujadaddy

^^ i concur !

7500 mi between oil changes for me, on German Castrol 0w-30. Sent my used oil to Blackstone for analysis and they said i could run it even longer. So i think im good at 7500 miles.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
jnguyen

oh alright thanks guy. i guess ill continue to just use Royal Purple 5w30. im prob change my oil today then wont change it for another 5k or so. Do yall use 5w30? some people say to switch to 10w30 after awhile but i was like nah ill just listen to the dealer
Old 03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Black Betty...this one's for you: I'm really interested in starting to change my own oil (and going synthetic: Motul, Mobil 1, or RP), but am worried about voiding my Infiniti warranty since my car is brand new. How do you get around this issue as far as documentation of oil changes, etc? Or is the thought that if you do the oil changes regularly and correctly, there shouldn't be an issue to begin with?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Ahujadaddy

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Black Betty...this one's for you: I'm really interested in starting to change my own oil (and going synthetic: Motul, Mobil 1, or RP), but am worried about voiding my Infiniti warranty since my car is brand new. How do you get around this issue as far as documentation of oil changes, etc? Or is the thought that if you do the oil changes regularly and correctly, there shouldn't be an issue to begin with?
*waits for Black Betty to answer this mans question*

Did you send him a PM? That might be faster, than waiting for him to come in here and view the thread and answer the question you specifically asked him.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy

Did you send him a PM? That might be faster, than waiting for him to come in here and view the thread and answer the question you specifically asked him.
he prob be in soon. He a master when it comes to changing oil and stuff haha.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy

LOL good one buddy....actually anyone is free to answer this if they have knowledge/experience. Is there butter on that popcorn?
Old 03-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Ahujadaddy

LOL =)

We'll let Black Betty confirm, but from what i have researched, seen other ppl post, and my own infiniti tech answer for me... is that you just need to save the receipts of the oil that you bought and the filter. Make sure it has date printed on receipt. Also you can write down in a log, of the date and mileage when u changed the oil, and staple the receipts to that log page.

I blv the book we got, which contains the manual, also has some service log there for you to get started. cd be wrong about that cuz i need to get around to logging it. Thats how it was for the other cars i've owned.

Just err on the side of caution, and save ur recipts and keep detailed records.

Quick Reply: Help Do i have to change my OIl?