General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Programming TPMS yourself

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 02:01 PM
IvoryG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Programming TPMS yourself

Are there any Nissan or Infiniti techs here? From reading the G37 factory service manual it seems you can wake up and register the tpms sensors with just the kent-more J-45295 service tool. Is this correct? I have found were I can purchase the tool but can't get a price until Monday. I am diy person for everything so I want to be able to swap my wheels and just register them to the car myself. If I buy the tool and it works I was thinking I could do a rental deal for all the people that would want to use it. Like put a deposit down. I will ship it to you and when I get it back I refund you less the shipping and maybe 10 bucks or so. Depending on the cost. That way we all don't have to go to the dealer for something so dumb.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:11 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most dealerships should do it for free thoguh
Old 01-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
most dealerships should do it for free thoguh
not really! the dealer around here charges $150 for programming if you have aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:29 PM
vINCe_Inc

Originally Posted by vrquick
Are there any Nissan or Infiniti techs here? From reading the G37 factory service manual it seems you can wake up and register the tpms sensors with just the kent-more J-45295 service tool. Is this correct? I have found were I can purchase the tool but can't get a price until Monday. I am diy person for everything so I want to be able to swap my wheels and just register them to the car myself. If I buy the tool and it works I was thinking I could do a rental deal for all the people that would want to use it. Like put a deposit down. I will ship it to you and when I get it back I refund you less the shipping and maybe 10 bucks or so. Depending on the cost. That way we all don't have to go to the dealer for something so dumb.
very good idea actually.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Not free at my dealership either. As the TPMS on our cars is almost completely useless anyway as far as real functionality, I'm not going to pay that to get it working again. I'd rather just find a way to get the light to turn off. I guess I'm going to have to take apart the dash and remove the bulb from behind the indicator as nobody seems to know another way.

For those who actually care about its functionality, I think your idea is great vrquick.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:13 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really 150? damn my service guys a G!! He hooked me up last time but wasn't able to get it programmed b/c one of the sensors were mounted improperly. I think Infinti of Valencias new guy Alex is the man. He has taken care of me. Had a loaner for like 7 days, other time for like a 4 day cruise. damnnn 150
Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vrquick
Where in the G37 factory service manual did you find this information? I can't find it anywhere.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Something happened with mine when I got my Volks on and the dealer charged $100 to resync them.

Ideally you shouldn't have problems, but it happens.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:32 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Something happened with mine when I got my Volks on and the dealer charged $100 to resync them.

Ideally you shouldn't have problems, but it happens.
Yup, and thankfully you have an awesome shop that covered it for ya!

It is strange. 95% of the time, simply swapping the TPMS sensors will not require a reset. In fact, if you swap wheels, for example...some track only wheels...once you return your original wheels to the car, it automatically resyncs and the light goes off. Blackjack's wheel was special...I think he had a defective/funny sensor....at least that is my story and I am sticking by it.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sharif@forged
Yup, and thankfully you have an awesome shop that covered it for ya!

It is strange. 95% of the time, simply swapping the TPMS sensors will not require a reset. In fact, if you swap wheels, for example...some track only wheels...once you return your original wheels to the car, it automatically resyncs and the light goes off. Blackjack's wheel was special...I think he had a defective/funny sensor....at least that is my story and I am sticking by it.
Haha... Yeah, Something was funky for sure.

And yes... Kudos to Forged for following through and getting things right for me.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
Really 150? damn my service guys a G!! He hooked me up last time but wasn't able to get it programmed b/c one of the sensors were mounted improperly. I think Infinti of Valencias new guy Alex is the man. He has taken care of me. Had a loaner for like 7 days, other time for like a 4 day cruise. damnnn 150
yeah! man! $150 is quite a bit. i could understand if they'll charge like $50 bucks but $150. i say f that.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you figure it out, be sure to post.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Not free at my dealership either. As the TPMS on our cars is almost completely useless anyway as far as real functionality, I'm not going to pay that to get it working again. I'd rather just find a way to get the light to turn off. I guess I'm going to have to take apart the dash and remove the bulb from behind the indicator as nobody seems to know another way.

For those who actually care about its functionality, I think your idea is great vrquick.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:23 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, the system in this car sucks. Its nice that it lets you know if a tire is low, but it would be much better if it gave you the PSI of all the tires.

I think you are right about the light too, the only way is to pull the bulb.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I think the reason some people have to resynch when they swap is because they don't put the sensor back in the same wheel position that it came from. To work properly when you change wheels, the sensors have to go back in the same position on the car (FR, FL, RR, RL) that they were in before.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:39 AM
IvoryG

I think the reason some people have to resynch when they swap is because they don't put the sensor back in the same wheel position that it came from. To work properly when you change wheels, the sensors have to go back in the same position on the car (FR, FL, RR, RL) that they were in before.
This is correct. When they are programmed they are done in a specific order and they sensors have to stay in that order to work. The section of the service manual is E: Suspension > WT: Road wheels and tires > WT4: Transmitter wake up and ID registration.

Quick Reply: Programming TPMS yourself