General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:41 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
cheap gas can also clog your injectors!!!!! DONT BE CHEAP!! If you can buy a "G" you can afford the gas!
Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
So I just got the G and had a question on octane. I know the owners manual says 91 or higher is recommended....

Does this car sense the type of gas you are in and slightly change its tuning to accomodate? I looked up all the gas stations to see if anyone sold 91 or 92 but they all sell 93 in my area.

I dont plan on putting 87 or 89 in the car, but I was just curious if this car 'tweaks itself once it recognizes you are putting in 93 instead of 91. I would gander that you could probably get a 5 whp increase due to tuning it for 93 instead of 91 so I was curious if the car can recognize this.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:56 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
So I just got the G and had a question on octane. I know the owners manual says 91 or higher is recommended....

Does this car sense the type of gas you are in and slightly change its tuning to accomodate? I looked up all the gas stations to see if anyone sold 91 or 92 but they all sell 93 in my area.

I dont plan on putting 87 or 89 in the car, but I was just curious if this car 'tweaks itself once it recognizes you are putting in 93 instead of 91. I would gander that you could probably get a 5 whp increase due to tuning it for 93 instead of 91 so I was curious if the car can recognize this.
yes the car will automatically adjust depending on the type of gas your running. can you run 87 if thats all there is sure? it wont hurt your car using it a couple times. you could even run just 87 and it wont hurt your car. but you will get far less performance, lower gas mileage, more dirt/soot on the rear bumper from exhaust blowing out the dirtier fumes.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:21 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to clarify the last point, the car does not detect the type of gas directly, but rather the performance of the engine based on detonation (and pre-detonation as previously mentioned) to adjust timing and other engine performance parameters to keep it running properly. But don't interpret that as the computer compensation for using cheap regular gas as a reason to use it since performance will still be affected and hard acceleration can still cause pinging or other issues that the ECU cannot compensate quick enough for, hence the warning in the owners manual.

Another clearer reason to use premium fuel is the design of our injectors. Our injectors are designed with 12 nozzle holes vs. the standard 4 nozzle design, and the nozzle holes are almost 1/2 the size. Premium top tier fuels like Shell are formulated to run cleaner and prevent deposits. Regular fuel will like result in deposits and clogging of these injector nozzles.

See here (6M file): http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCU...02_X-1a-05.pdf

The are just too many reasons not to use regular gas on this premium engine.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:35 PM
magoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choices

Interesting to read that the Hyundai Genesis Coupe will allow either - Premiumor or Regular. In the Hyundai, that's true for both the V6 and 4 cyl. The manufacturers specifically designed the engines to allow both, with a difference in HP resulting (from Wikipedia):
  • 3.8 V6
    • 312 hp (233 kW) (Premium Fuel) / 306-hp (regular)
    • 263 lb·ft (357 N·m) @ 4,700 rpm (regular and premium fuel)
    • 0-60 mph in less than 6 seconds[15][16]
    • 'Top speed of 149 mph (240 km/h) (Govt.)
  • 2.0T
    • 223 hp (166 kW) (Premium Fuel) / 210-hp (regular)
    • 223 lb·ft (302 N·m) @ 2,000 rpm (regular and premium fuel)
    • 0-60 mph in less than 7 seconds[17]
    • Top speed of 137 mph (220 km/h) (Govt.)[16][18][19]
I think the same is true in some other cars (it may have been even a BMW?) Anyway, interesting technology - you get a choice - savings or performance, without having to risk your engine!
Old 05-30-2009, 03:46 PM
magoo

91+ Octane Required, not just Recommended!

Came across this in my manual:

VQ37VHR engine
Use unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 91 AKI (Anti-Knock Index)
number (Research octane number 96).
If premium gasoline is not available, unleaded
regular gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI
number (Research octane number 91) may be
temporarily used, but only under the following
precautions:
c
Have the fuel tank filled only partially with
unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up with
unleaded premium gasoline as soon as possible.

c
Avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.

The situation is different for the G35, in which it was simply an option:

If unleaded premium gasoline is not available,
you may use unleaded regular gasoline with an
octane rating of at least 87 AKI number (Research
octane number 91), but you may notice a

decrease in performance.

So, I take from this that, unlike some other engines in which you have a choice, Infiniti is basically saying, only use Regular when you have no choice, and get Premium as fast as you can into the engine!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 PM
G-Rocket

98 octane??? I come from Europe and there is no such thing as regular sale of 98 octane gasoline.... It is a different measure. 98 in EU = 93 in US

From Wiki:

This higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US (R+M)/2, and deliver 98 (RON), 99 or 100 (RON) labeled as Super Unleaded.
In the United Kingdom, 'regular' petrol has an octane rating of 95 RON, with 97 RON fuel being widely available as the Super Unleaded. Tesco and Shell both offer 99 RON fuel. BP is currently trialling the public selling of the super-high octane petrol BP Ultimate Unleaded 102, which as the name suggests, has an octane rating of 102 RON. Although BP Ultimate Unleaded (with an octane rating of 97 RON) and BP Ultimate Diesel are both widely available throughout the UK, BP Ultimate Unleaded 102 is (as of October 2007) only available throughout the UK in 10 filling stations, and is priced at about two and half times more than their 97 RON fuel.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G-Rocket
98 octane??? I come from Europe and there is no such thing as regular sale of 98 octane gasoline.... It is a different measure. 98 in EU = 93 in US

From Wiki:

This higher rating seen in Europe is an artifact of a different underlying measuring procedure. In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90–91 US (R+M)/2, and deliver 98 (RON), 99 or 100 (RON) labeled as Super Unleaded.
In the United Kingdom, 'regular' petrol has an octane rating of 95 RON, with 97 RON fuel being widely available as the Super Unleaded. Tesco and Shell both offer 99 RON fuel. BP is currently trialling the public selling of the super-high octane petrol BP Ultimate Unleaded 102, which as the name suggests, has an octane rating of 102 RON. Although BP Ultimate Unleaded (with an octane rating of 97 RON) and BP Ultimate Diesel are both widely available throughout the UK, BP Ultimate Unleaded 102 is (as of October 2007) only available throughout the UK in 10 filling stations, and is priced at about two and half times more than their 97 RON fuel.
he's in Dubai. not europe
Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
yes the car will automatically adjust depending on the type of gas your running. can you run 87 if thats all there is sure? it wont hurt your car using it a couple times. you could even run just 87 and it wont hurt your car. but you will get far less performance, lower gas mileage, more dirt/soot on the rear bumper from exhaust blowing out the dirtier fumes.
Just to clarify, I dont ever plan on putting 87 in it. The car recommends 91 but premium in my area is 93. I put 93 in my car but I was wondering if the ECU adjusts when using 93 gas vs. 91.

Depending on what it does, there could be a ~5 whp difference between using 93 vs 91.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:32 PM
pfizzle

Seriously, the cost to fill up the g on the avg gas price between regular and premium saves you around four to five dollars. Stop being a penny pincher and throw in the recommended fuel.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He said he did not have a problem paying. i wish everyone would not be so snobby.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
G-Rocket

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
he's in Dubai. not europe
Dubai uses metric units I believe and the measure of octane is the same as in EU. 100% sure that 98 octane = 93US

And YEAH, some people should stop cry about the gas prices. In the US and Canada we get the gas sooo cheap relative to the average income...
I just went to Germany it is $6 a gallon. Just put the premium and go.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM
w0ady

ive always said if you cant afford to put the right gas in the car, you shouldnt own the car.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:34 PM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2009G37
Well, I was under the impression that the knocking in the G was due to some funky engine issue, and didn't have anything to do with the oil. Apparently using the Nissan Ester oil solves the knock. But in general, is using fuel of a lesser octane rating actually bad for an engine (fuel economy and HP aside). Like, are there impurities in the crappier gasoline that leaves residue or corrodes your engine?
The oil has nothing to do with engine knock or gasoline octane rating. The higher octane gasoline grades burn more slowly and evenly in the combustion chamber and therefore do not "knock" or "ping" under higher compression. Detonation (knock) can quickly damage the pistons used in modern engines. You want to avoid ANY detonation.

BTW, the best Octane is XM 48!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Extra wear/damage to exhaust should be reason enough not to although I never got past the performance loss as reason enough.

Quick Reply: octane