General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Climate Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Frank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Climate Control Issue

I've got a question about the climate control. I'm not sure if this is normal or not so I wanted some feedback. When I turn the car on it automatically sets the climate control to blow air on my feet. Whether it was previously set to defrost or the top vents...it always defaults to just the lower vents. Do they all do that? I find it a little strange..not really annoying but just weird that it doesnt automatically switch to the last used function.
Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
EVO-to-G

haven't really noticed but that is strange that it would do that.

but i have a feeling it stays on defrost for me...i could of sworn i had it on defrost once and when i started it back up the whole windshield got foggy cause of the change in temp.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:09 PM
Frank

Hmm.. maybe it's just something with my car.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I believe this is by design. If the car is initially cold inside it will delay blowing air to the top vents until it warms up a bit. It will also make the same decision regarding outside versus re-circulated air. Yes, the term “control” has its limitations.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Moncleezy

I have the same freaking problem, and it's driving me insane. I guess it's a relatively minor thing, but my feet don't get cold, my hands do. I don't see why it can't just stay where I put it. Anyone know a way to reset the default?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Mid-Life Crisis

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There must be a setting to control the start-up functionality. My G37 always has the climate control set to off when I start the car which is anoying. I would like it to come back to where it was when I turned it off.

To make it worse, it is -20 degrees Celsius outside and when I first turn on the climate control, it begins with the AC on which I manually turn-off each time. Must be a configuration setting somewhere.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Meltdownblitz
Registered Member

I'll have to agree with you guys on that one, it does that for me too. If someone finds a fix, please post here.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One option that it prevents you from doing, is recirculate without the A/C. I was in heavy traffic and didn't want to inhale exhaust from the diesel infront of me. But when I'd recirculate it would kick on the A/C, when it's already 55 out I don't need A/C.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 AM
iwasgointo

My 2009 G37S switches from the feet setting to the dash vents after about 45 minutes of driving without any input from me. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour hoping this might reset the system, but it hasn't worked. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by iwasgointo
My 2009 G37S switches from the feet setting to the dash vents after about 45 minutes of driving without any input from me. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour hoping this might reset the system, but it hasn't worked. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
As previously stated, in Auto mode this may be normal depending on local temperatures. To get out of Auto just press the Mode button on the climate control console. Subsequent presses will cycle you through top vents only, both, bottom vents only, and the defroster. You can also change the fan speeds up or down with the two fan buttons. There should be no unintentional changes now unless you go back to Auto by pressing the main button on the left.

If this doesn’t work then a trip to the dealer is warranted. And I have to add, rather than disconnecting the battery, this stuff is in the owner's manual so that may be a better place to trouble shoot.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:41 AM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With mine, when it's on auto it defaults to floor for heating and the top vents for cooling. Generally those are the settings I'd use anyway (hot air rises, etc), but obviously some people would prefer something else. Unfortunately I don't know if there's any way to get it to remember your last preferences.

Initially when I bought the car I futzed with the climate control a lot more, but I found after a while it actually does a pretty good job if I leave it on auto and let it do its thing. It warms up pretty quick. When my hands are cold or I need defrosting, I'll just press the mode button to change it.

Originally Posted by Graham
One option that it prevents you from doing, is recirculate without the A/C. I was in heavy traffic and didn't want to inhale exhaust from the diesel infront of me. But when I'd recirculate it would kick on the A/C, when it's already 55 out I don't need A/C.
I think from what I've seen in other posts and my own experience the A/C being on in this car doesn't necessarily mean cooling, it is used for dehumidifying. For defrosting this is why the A/C light comes on concurrently. My guess is that with recirc the windows are more likely to fog up and therefore the system wants to dehumidify. But it still should be warming the car. The A/C is more of an air drier that can warm or cool the air. This is another thing that I found worked fine when I left it alone.

I think it has to be below something like 20F outside before it stops turning on the A/C like that.

On a side note, we had an unusually hot week last week--even too hot for the windows down a few days -- so I was using the cooling for the I think the first time. Man, that thing blows some cooooold air. I have to aim the vents away from myself and just get the indirect cooling or else it gets unbearable after a few minutes.

Or maybe I'm starting to show aging signs ("anyone feel a draft in here"?)
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
sick6speed

I had my AUTO setting at 70 degrees during the winter and it kept my car quite warm...but then the weather started to warm up some and it was 70 degrees outside and it was still blasting cold air even though the temp inside and outside was the same. I was expecting the fan to lighten up some...Anyone else notice this?
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
afaa

On my 09 G37, I have to set the temp to around 74-75 to feel comfortable. It seems the thermometer is messed up. On all other vehicles I've driven, I only need to set it at 70.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I set mine to 75 all the time. I only put it up to 80 if I'm cold in the morning. I'll put it to around 70 on an extremely hot day, but I'll eventually put it back to 75 since it gets cold so quickly.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM
g37musings

Mine is all jacked up. It was 90 degrees and I had it set to 80 on auto and it was BLASTING cold air. Is there an adjustment to this?

Quick Reply: Climate Control Issue