General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

VDC Off, Does Infiniti Know?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 PM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VDC Off, Does Infiniti Know?

So after reading about all the GTR owners having their warranties voided because driving too often with the VDC off, I was wondering if Infiniti has the same ability. I for one turn the VDC off almost every time I get into the car.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 PM
vINCe_Inc

its the launch control that is disabled. i dont believe its the vcd
Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 PM
peterbanks

You have to turn off the VDC to activate the launch control. The below quote is from Autoblog:

We've previously reported cases where Nissan GT-R owners have brought their cars to the dealership with transmission trouble only to be told their warranties won't cover it. It turns out that disabling the car's VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control) too often, in order to use the Launch Control function, meant Nissan wasn't covering the repairs.
I just think it would suck to have your warranty questioned because they said the VDC was off too much. I rarely drive aggressively, I just don't like to be restricted when I want to get a little crazy.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:09 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

I can't see Infiniti getting bent and checking the amount of times VDC was turned off in these cars.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
w0ady

ya it was launch control that was damaging the transmissions. 6 years with the g/z's and no vdc issues so you're ok.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM
willizm

As far as I understand it, the G37 does not log data.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Infiniti Esc

No the G37 does not log any data. The only data it loggs is when a DTC is set the ECM takes a snap shot (freeze fram data) of the operating paramaters when the DTC was/is set.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
peterbanks

↑ Good to know.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 AM
LAG37

we have launch control?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 AM
AussieV36

yup, sidestep the clutch or mash the brake and throttle if it's an auto
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
bunluvsvw

I think that is total bull that Nissan can void warranty if the vdc is pressed too much, why you put it there in the first place? Car manufactures can get away with anything they want. Seriously, 450hp skyline, you gonna drive like grandma in it? No excuses, item should be covered under warranty. the only thing they should can get away with is if you over revved your engine. Thats understandable. whats next, your headlights hid bulbs are not under warranty, you turn them on too much and too long. total crap
Old 11-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Infiniti Esc

Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
I think that is total bull that Nissan can void warranty if the vdc is pressed too much, why you put it there in the first place? Car manufactures can get away with anything they want. Seriously, 450hp skyline, you gonna drive like grandma in it? No excuses, item should be covered under warranty. the only thing they should can get away with is if you over revved your engine. Thats understandable. whats next, your headlights hid bulbs are not under warranty, you turn them on too much and too long. total crap

If you wern't aware of it ...............it clearly states in the owners manuel/ warranty guidlines that if you use the launch control and a problem occurs then you void your warranty !! BUt on the other hand If you hav $90,000 dollars to dump on a car and are willing to abuse it then you better be willing to pay the price !!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
soldier9599
Registered Member

If you don't like it don't buy the car. The option was either not have launch control, or stick it in there as long as the driver takes responsibility for it. Either way it's a really fast car for a good price, it was just that Nissan decided to say "you can use it as the fast car it is, or you can do this one potentially reckless thing and make it even faster, but if you do any damage from using it is your fault." The driver doesn't have to use it, but if they choose to they have to be careful with it. I don't see what the problem is; people have to take responsibility for their actions. If you drive like a complete idiot and never have your car serviced like you are supposed to after every tracking, then yes, you may potentially cause some damage.

Originally Posted by Infiniti Esc
If you wern't aware of it ...............it clearly states in the owners manuel/ warranty guidlines that if you use the launch control and a problem occurs then you void your warranty !! BUt on the other hand If you hav $90,000 dollars to dump on a car and are willing to abuse it then you better be willing to pay the price !!!!
Yeah, that too, owners even had to sign a waiver saying they understood the whole vdc/launch control warranty policy.

Last edited by soldier9599; 11-25-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM
bunluvsvw

Seriously, whats the point of having that button then? Its like having a car that can rev up to 9000 rpm but manufacture tells you that warranty is void if you rev it past 2500rpm. And then have ppl telling me that if you dont like it, you dont have to buy it, its like me telling you, i dont approve of the nissan polluting the air with a such a car. yeah, I sound just as retarded as the manufactures. LOL
Old 11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
w0ady

vdc and launch control arent the same thing. get your facts straight before you rant. you can still drive the car hard without launch control. the only thing it will prevent you from doing is hard launches for drag/street racing. its built to be a track car and you can still do that with no problem.

Quick Reply: VDC Off, Does Infiniti Know?