General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

Gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:22 PM
hbaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline

So I was in getting my tint redone and the service manager said by the way dont get your premium gas as walmart or sams club because it will hurt your performance....get it somewhere else.... Is this true? I thought super was super....I have already filled up like 4 times at sams club...oops
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Its chevron only for me. That cheap gas will rust your tank over time and build gunk in your valves, don't do it!!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Eh it's all about perception. Gas is gas to some, to others, they stick to brands Shell, Chevron, BP only. Will it hurt? Any "damage" would be negligible and likely could not be proven. Might as well save your money and bring your service manger some cookies.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
http://www.shell.us/

looking at that... only after 5 k miles looks a bit scary to me... i usually fill up at shell
Old 10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Shell/76/Mobil/Chevron for me... I don't discriminate... Just as long as its not from the local Kwik-E-Mart type place... Or ARCO! Well, I guess I do discriminate a lil bit then...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by aliiin
http://www.shell.us/

looking at that... only after 5 k miles looks a bit scary to me... i usually fill up at shell
What's scary is how convincing their marketing department is
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
What's scary is how convincing their marketing department is
Agree, someone should do a test and if the result is different, sue the hell out of them.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Don't listen to anybody who tells you different: gas is gas. Brand isn't truly relevant, at least not in this country. Shell, BP, Exxon, etc, etc, often get their supply from the same distributor. In other countries, there truly is a difference in brands. The difference in the US is in the additive packages that each brand uses. Is one any better than another? It depends on who you choose to believe. Gas from Sam's Club won't harm your car any more than any other gas unless there is some type of contaminant in the storage tanks, and that's very unlikely. Gas is a petroleum product and as such CANNOT "rust" your tank. If there is a small amount of water in gasoline you buy, that's what fuel filters are for. Not likely at all.

Buy your gas where you can get the highest octane for the cheapest price whether it's a branded station or the corner convenience store.

You service manager is either a blatant liar or a moron.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The "rust" comes from discount gas stations that use gas with the maximum amount of ethanol they can legally use. Higher priced gas companies don't do this and they use more additives that remove deposits. If your plan on taking care of your car with synthetic motor oil, cleaning products that aren't mass produced and sold at walmart, why would you give in to cheap gas? Thats just my opinion but its your car so feel free and do what you want.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
hah diamond that's what you think
Old 10-07-2008, 10:17 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We got 110 metric tonns of bad fuel oil it screwed every injector on our 4 cat 3516's and blacked out our rig ( jack up oil rig). Ran on the e-gen for 2 weeks waiting on parts. It turned out to be bacteria in the fuel. The faulty injectors screwed up everything timing went out turbo's got red hot and exhaust temps when through the roof. Broke 4 springs on 4 injectors and you should have seen the gen shake.

Last edited by shumby; 10-07-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:19 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wish they had a Hooters gas station. Is it to much to ask to have a cute woman in a Hooters or nurses outfit pump the gas for you?
Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by amoney805
The "rust" comes from discount gas stations that use gas with the maximum amount of ethanol they can legally use. Higher priced gas companies don't do this and they use more additives that remove deposits. If your plan on taking care of your car with synthetic motor oil, cleaning products that aren't mass produced and sold at walmart, why would you give in to cheap gas? Thats just my opinion but its your car so feel free and do what you want.
Having worked for several years at an Exxon Mobil refinery (one of the largest ones in the world), I have to respectfully disagree with you. You're correct that ethanol is somewhat corrosive to your engine, but how much ethanol is in gasoline is mandated by legislation and not by the price of the fuel. In many areas (where I live for example) it is mandated by law that motor fuel sold have a minimum of 10% ethanol. Exxon. BP. Shell. Chevron. Valero. It doesn't matter what the brand is.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:23 PM
SilverRSXJezus

So like others said...generally speaking, it won't really make that much of a difference. Different brands use different mixes and types of detergents and additives, that's about it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 AM
krayzrac3r

only thing i've heard about gas is to avoid the mickey mouse places. But any name brand such as arco,mobil,76,shell and chevron should be fine.

Quick Reply: Gasoline