General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

mixing 86 & 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:17 PM
BHCubed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
In jersey theres somebody to pump gas for you?? They dont have that here in Florida.

Maybe pick up a little bottle of octane booster, that may help??! It wont take you to 95 octane, but it may bring it from 89 to 90? Has anyone had any experience with this?
yeah, jersey is the only state where you don't pump you're own gas. it's supposedly illegal to pump your own gas. but i've done it when the sation is really busy. they don't really inforce it or anything. it's a pain in the **** when they're busy, but it's nice in the winter, cause i don't have to get out of my car, haha. yeah, i dunno, i'd really rather not mess around with that octane booster stuff. some people swear bye it, others say it's one of the worst things for your car, i don't really have any experience with it. so, i dunno.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:05 PM
cbcadet04

Originally Posted by aliiin
newer cars should have knock senors, so you're fine, worst thing that happens is that you get worse mpg... that's about it
Actually your MPG should increase. The lower octane gas burns faster, and the engine runs more efficient on the lower octane.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:13 PM
pyctici

dude youll be find dont worry about it, you car will run regular u just will get crappy gas milage
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You're fine... Just put premium back in on your next fill up. It's not going to hurt anything from using it once.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:55 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been using 87 since June, doesn't hurt a thing. Just started using Premium again. I noticed a 3mpg decrease so if I calculated the ~2 gal of gas per tank I would have to use vs. the difference between $ of 87 93 fill up it was cheap to use Premium.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:48 AM
HP_John

Where I'm from, most stations have 87, 89, & 91. 89 is literally just a mixture of 50% 87 & 50% 91, If you had 1/2 tank of 93 left, then you're at about 89.5, which I'm sure would be fine. When gas stations have 3 octanes, the middle octane is usually just a mixture of the top & bottom octane.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Lije Baley
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BHCubed
yeah, jersey is the only state where you don't pump you're own gas. it's supposedly illegal to pump your own gas. but i've done it when the sation is really busy. they don't really inforce it or anything. it's a pain in the **** when they're busy, but it's nice in the winter, cause i don't have to get out of my car, haha. yeah, i dunno, i'd really rather not mess around with that octane booster stuff. some people swear bye it, others say it's one of the worst things for your car, i don't really have any experience with it. so, i dunno.
Oregon has the same rule. And gas stations enforce it! Sort of a full employment thing rather than a safety thing if 48 states let owners pump their own. It's like a time machine when the attendant comes to operate the magical, mystical pump (at least for those of us who remember the days before self-serve).
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
BHCubed

Originally Posted by Lije Baley
Oregon has the same rule. And gas stations enforce it! Sort of a full employment thing rather than a safety thing if 48 states let owners pump their own. It's like a time machine when the attendant comes to operate the magical, mystical pump (at least for those of us who remember the days before self-serve).
ORLY? Huh, I didn't know that. I thought Jersey was the only state. Yeah, I'm too young to remember that, but I've seen it in movies and t.v. shows, haha. I always have to remind myself I've got to pump myself when I fill up outside of Jersey.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
BHCubed

Update:

Well I've driven my car for a couple hundred miles(I have a long commute for work), and have filled up a couple of times. I made sure they used premium this time, I paid more attention, haha. No ill effects so far.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by cbcadet04
Actually your MPG should increase. The lower octane gas burns faster, and the engine runs more efficient on the lower octane.

Is this is a joke or being serious? How does the engine run more efficient on lower octane? Running on lower octane forces it to retard timing to prevent knocking which yields less a lower pressure profile during that combustion stroke.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM
SANS-G

The salesperson at my local dealer says he had been using 87 octane on his G37 for 12,000 miles with no ill effect...so you should be ok.....nothing will go wrong with your engine....
Old 10-22-2008, 03:55 PM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^Yes, it does effect the car. lol

VQ37HR with VVEL can only adapt one map at a time due to the complexity of the timing (or so I heard... lol). I bet that car is making like 220whp. hahaha
Old 10-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Frank

Co-worker of mine leases a G37 and she only puts regular in it.. sometimes she puts mid or super(dumb biatch!). It's still running fine.
I'm sure you're fine
Old 10-24-2008, 11:44 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's in the manual, you can mix if necessary, but recommended is straight not on the rocks and shaken not stired.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
BHCubed

yeah, it's been a while since this occurred, and no ill effects. i didn't really notice any at the time it happened either. i've made sure it's got nothing but 93 or 91 since though. luckily the price of gas has gone down, so it's costing me the same as i was paying for 86 not too long ago.

Quick Reply: mixing 86 & 93 octane