General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

6MT vs. auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:47 PM
yahookendogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT vs. auto

is 6MT faster than auto because it's a 6-speed? do you get better gearings? and for the auto, how good are the paddle shifters?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:49 PM
G-WIZ KID

It's greeeaaat!!! It's up to personal preferance. Car is fast either way.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:50 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
The paddle shifters are super duper they haven't broken off yet!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The paddle shifters are pretty cool. The only problem is the lag between shifts when you use them. By buddy's IS250 has almost instant response. As far as performance difference, it's minimal for most unless you are really really good at shifting manually.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
paddle shifters have a rev match feature which on downshifts especially is supposed to be cool. me personally i dont think paddle shifters are something i'd want in a GT like the G37 - I feel the torque and essence of the car at my fingertips with the 6 M/T...I understand paddle shifters in Ferraris and Lambos and exotics with amazing amounts of power...But me personally I prefer to manual shift on a car like the G...I rev a little lower and get better mileage on the highway in 6th and once I perfect my launch I should be about .10 to .15 seconds faster on the 0-60 than a 5AT. There are some closer ratios and more optimization of power on the M/Ts but it takes a skilled driver to master the clutch and gearbox on the M/T. If you want tips - Chilibowl's nice guide can be found in the DIY section of the forums.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 01-16-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:58 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Advantages:
1) Much more fun during spirited driving
2) Able to be controlled a lot better
3) Less drivetrain loss, aka more power to the wheels
4) Better gas mileage as you can manually keep the revs down
5) Better gearing...6 speed MT vs 5 speed in the auto
6) No lag b/t shifts as you're controlling what gear you want to be in

Disadvantages:
1) Pain in the a$$ during stop/go traffic
2) You learn to hate hills and inclines
3) Have to pay more attention as you have to prepare a bit more
Old 01-16-2008, 11:02 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by JLai
Advantages:
1) Much more fun during spirited driving
2) Able to be controlled a lot better
3) Less drivetrain loss, aka more power to the wheels
4) Better gas mileage as you can manually keep the revs down
5) Better gearing...6 speed MT vs 5 speed in the auto
6) No lag b/t shifts as you're controlling what gear you want to be in

Disadvantages:
1) Pain in the a$$ during stop/go traffic
2) You learn to hate hills and inclines
3) Have to pay more attention as you have to prepare a bit more
what he says. hills and inclines are a bish..
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 PM
dangeruss17

Talking

Its called being able to use ur hand brake efficiently on them hills boys and girls. The thing about stop and go traffic is that u got to leave a buncha room in front of you and just coast in 3rd, thats what i do every single day and I will still not give up that 6 speed manual joy.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're able to drive 6MT efficiently, then the 6MT has potential to be faster. However, if not, then the 5AT may be faster.

But the one that's more fun to drive is obvious. Just depends on personal preference. Then there's gas mileage difference, trim factor (depending on what you want, although it's pretty negligable), etc.. If you're planning on buying, then go with what you prefer to drive. I only got 6MT because I've never had a manual before (although I've driven it on several occasions).

If what I said makes no sense, it's probably because I'm drunk and I'm happy that we're in first place in my bowling league. Go Ball Busterz! hahahahaha
Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see that this thread has stayed on track and hasn't turned into a typical immature 5AT vs 6MT p1ssing match. Let's keep it that way.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:58 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
once I perfect my launch I should be about .10 to .15 seconds faster on the 0-60 than a 5AT.
Yep what he said. If you look at the "mag" tested times thus far it looks like both cars have been tested within a tenth or so of eachother 0-60 and in the quarter mile, but with pretty much the same trap speed. Actually the highest trap speed I have seen has been on the 5AT.

Not many folks have been to the drag strip yet to indicate their personal experiences but if you search the forums you will find enough info to help you out.
I think the term "fun" is subjective however and my 5AT has been the most fun car I have owned - even over other manual cars I have driven.
If you learned the quirks of the 5AT you will be able to operate it without experiencing delays in shifting.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 01-17-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:04 PM
SantiagoDraco

I probably would have chosen 6mt if it was available with the colors/options I wanted, but the auto was. I must say I'm pretty damn happy I didn't.

I'm sure most of us drive normally most of the time and it's so nice being able to just use the gas pedal and not have to shift all the time... but when you do want to play you have the paddles.

I've had numerous cars with manual prior to the G, and at this stage I don't miss em.

If it didn't have the paddles (can also use the shifter to up/down shift as well, just push up/down as needed) I'd not feel this way.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

6mt is great but I live in NYC and traffic here is ghastly, plus I'd be satisfied with paddle shifters.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Gday
Banned

Manual cars are definitely more fun to drive. I was given a 07 sedan to drive for a week and a half. When I got my coupe back, I was like dam, big difference. The 6mt is just more fun to drive.

Traffic doesn't bother me at all. I hit the 55 Freeway every day to Newport for work. Basically 1+ hr stop and go traffic.. No problem at all.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM
0to60

It's such a personal choice there is no "right answer" except what is "right" for you. I drove an Acura CL-S m/t for 5 years and really got burned out. You could make an arguement that the FWD took a lot away from the "fun factor". My a/t G is perfect for me. Choices between D, DS, and Paddle shifters is enough to go out and have loads of fun and offers both a variety in performance and your interaction with the car.

Quick Reply: 6MT vs. auto