General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

6MT vs. auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
yahookendogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this thread is getting longer than i thought... lot of good info. tho.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM
GodWhomIsMike

Originally Posted by patel511
I had a question: Can you redline with the auto or does it cut off right at redline?
In manual mode or DS?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
patel511

^either
Old 02-09-2008, 12:54 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Ya i am guju and being indian you know how hard it is to convince indian parents, yet i finally have, so I have to get this deal done by the 31st because that is when the offer ends...IP G37S 5AT, Premium, moonroof, Spoiler, Nav.

That is the goal...

Got a insurance quote today: $538 for 6 months. On dads' name.

Do you like the 6MT, and if u don't mind me asking, what's your age?
Hey Patel - I am 23 years old and work full-time. My parents gave me a couple grand on my down payment as a blessing type of thing but other than that I pay for my car so getting a M/T at my current age was not an issue as the G is for me only and I don't intend on ever letting anyone drive it (except some car enthusiast cousins of mine). Anyhow yeah Indian parents can be strict but mine have gotten liberal with some things over time and being as the car is for me they didnt care about whether it was M/T. If anything - it shouldn't matter at your house unless your other family members are interested in using the car from time to time and of course if they are paying all or msot of it then they do have a say! haha! Like when I got my Honda Accord when I was 17 they obviously would not have let me get M/T since I was younger, they wanted to use the car time to time AND they paid for it in full.

Anyhow one note I want to make. I had about 500-1,000 miles of manual driving logged so I was an amatuer to begin with. I learned on Civics, Golfs, low power cars...Test drove some high power ones (my cousins' M3, s2000 and Supra) However I must warn you that even I had to put about 1,500 miles on my G to really get the clutch and shifting down. And still I have some room for improvement that I want to get down this summer.

It's NOT a beginner M/T gearbox. The RSX Type-S, s2000 and RX-8 are all easier M/Ts. Once you get used to it - the Nissan/Infiniti M/T gearbox does feel more raw and unleashed though. It's pretty exciting - but I personally would not want to LEARN driving manual in it. I recommend learning basics in a lower power smoother shifter before getting your G37 M/T. The last thing you want to do is gear grind, mis-shift, downshift to mechanical overrev, and stall way too many times in a brand new G. Find a friend with an old M/T beater that doesn't mind teaching you.

My 25 cents...

Oh and btw IM me if you have any Q's bro - Detroit Malu Joe

Note: I got a good insurance quote on my dad's policy as well. About same as yours - $550/6 months...Would be double that if I got my own insurance. I just pay him the amount every 6 mos. He usually forgets to collect though lol.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 02-09-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kg37
My girlfriend is from Kerla ( im an American Jamaican ). Anyway, im glad that u enjoy manual but, just remember that not everyone is excited about shifting.
Yeah I am Kerali/Malayalee. Im also Catholic Christian - our state is surprisingly about 33% Christian even though India is thought to be very Hindu/Muslim. Is your girl also from a Christian church of Kerala? Anyhow that's cool that your girl is from Kerala. I am first American generation. Born and raised in Chicago and Michigan but my parents came here from Kerala when they were 22 years old. All my cousins and uncles and aunts are America so I'm as Indian as curry and American as apple pie.

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 02-09-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:52 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Yeah I am Kerali/Malayalee. Im also Catholic Christian - our state is surprisingly about 33% Christian even though India is thought to be very Hindu/Muslim. Is your girl also from a Christian church of Kerala? Anyhow that's cool that your girl is from Kerala. I am first American generation. Born and raised in Chicago and Michigan but my parents came here from Kerala when they were 22 years old. All my cousins and uncles and aunts are America so I'm as Indian as curry and American as apple pie.

Yeah my girl is Christian. Enjoy ur G budddy
Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 AM
patel511

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
Hey Patel - I am 23 years old and work full-time. My parents gave me a couple grand on my down payment as a blessing type of thing but other than that I pay for my car so getting a M/T at my current age was not an issue as the G is for me only and I don't intend on ever letting anyone drive it (except some car enthusiast cousins of mine). Anyhow yeah Indian parents can be strict but mine have gotten liberal with some things over time and being as the car is for me they didnt care about whether it was M/T. If anything - it shouldn't matter at your house unless your other family members are interested in using the car from time to time and of course if they are paying all or msot of it then they do have a say! haha! Like when I got my Honda Accord when I was 17 they obviously would not have let me get M/T since I was younger, they wanted to use the car time to time AND they paid for it in full.

Anyhow one note I want to make. I had about 500-1,000 miles of manual driving logged so I was an amatuer to begin with. I learned on Civics, Golfs, low power cars...Test drove some high power ones (my cousins' M3, s2000 and Supra) However I must warn you that even I had to put about 1,500 miles on my G to really get the clutch and shifting down. And still I have some room for improvement that I want to get down this summer.

It's NOT a beginner M/T gearbox. The RSX Type-S, s2000 and RX-8 are all easier M/Ts. Once you get used to it - the Nissan/Infiniti M/T gearbox does feel more raw and unleashed though. It's pretty exciting - but I personally would not want to LEARN driving manual in it. I recommend learning basics in a lower power smoother shifter before getting your G37 M/T. The last thing you want to do is gear grind, mis-shift, downshift to mechanical overrev, and stall way too many times in a brand new G. Find a friend with an old M/T beater that doesn't mind teaching you.

My 25 cents...

Oh and btw IM me if you have any Q's bro - Detroit Malu Joe

Note: I got a good insurance quote on my dad's policy as well. About same as yours - $550/6 months...Would be double that if I got my own insurance. I just pay him the amount every 6 mos. He usually forgets to collect though lol.
Thanks, man that was some useful info well right now I am stuck between the G or an Evo X
Old 02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well right now I am stuck between the G or an Evo X
Go sit in both and the choice should be clear to you. I was considering an Evo IX MR till I sat in it and decided it just wasn't enough luxury for every day driving.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
patel511

^ya the 9 had the crappy interior but the 10 looked good but not as good as the G