General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

6MT vs. auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:07 PM
chain492

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol fvck my old manual cars, i hate starting on hills. its a pain in the ***... i get leg cramps and traffic is gey. i go AT for now on becuase i drive to school everyday. paddle shifters FTW! the lag is normal, my moms bmw 5 series does that. the lag produces a more manual feeling.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 AM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The paddle shifters felt amazing, I liked it a lot, veyr precise and it even made me raise my foot a bit off the accelerator just like a manual transmission.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:45 AM
DJAY

I think those paddle shifts look hot and all, but my dislike is the position of them on the wheel is just not for me... i never hold the steering wheel at 9 or 3 o'clock.... therefore if i had paid the extra bucks for the sport trim, i would've probably never used them... but i tell you what i've used that slap stick a couple of times and really liked it!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Dominican_Capt
Registered Member

The other componets of the sport package matter, better suspension, vLSD, better wheels..etc. The paddle shifters are kick *** to me...
Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 AM
spyderbret

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as which car is faster, like others have said, its usually the driver. If you are very good with a manual you can beat an automatic everytime. Unless we are talking DSG in and Audi or a Ferrari's F1 transmission.
My last car was a 6 speed manual and although I loved it, it got really old in traffic. In a perfect world I would have my G for daily duty and a fun little manual sports car for the weekend. I am definately working toward that goal!!!
The paddle shifters are a lot of fun when you have time to play with them. I find myself using them more and more as time passes.
Drive both and get what you like...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
faston

Manuals have started to become a very good anti-theft device. Like the general public, fewer and fewer thieves even know how to drive a manual!

Oh, and manuals are not difficult on hills. If you know how to drive one well and have the timing down, you never need to use the parking brake. I don't use it and never roll more than a inch or 3 no matter how steep the hill. All it takes is practice.

Last edited by faston; 02-08-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im in the process of driving manual, went out today got caught at a red light on a hill a rice rocket decides to go ontop of my ***. I couldent move i got so nervous i ther the car in 1 held the clutch down and told everyone to go around me.

Im practicing bc i would like to get my g37 in stick, get the most out of the car as possible.

Besides the hill i think im getting the hang of it. Not bad at all
Old 01-21-2008, 08:36 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
im in the process of driving manual, went out today got caught at a red light on a hill a rice rocket decides to go ontop of my ***. I couldent move i got so nervous i ther the car in 1 held the clutch down and told everyone to go around me.

Im practicing bc i would like to get my g37 in stick, get the most out of the car as possible.

Besides the hill i think im getting the hang of it. Not bad at all
In this situation deploy your hand break, this will insure you don't go backward and allow you to take your foot off the break so you can bring up the RPM and slowly release the clutch. Once you start moving forward, release the hand break.

Get good with the hand break, you can keep the button down and control just how much breaking is applied.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
yahookendogg

i think if u own a manual car, you have to know how to use your handbrakes. i was in a situation where i was on a severe uphill in traffic and the car behind me was inches from my car, so if i didn't use the handbrake method, i would have hit his car.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
tampa pb

where are all of the lawyers now? if a car comes too close to you at a stop, and you roll back into them, it is their fault for being too close to you. "too close" is a relative term, but INCHES? that is absolutely too close. that is their fault. and weather or not you know how to move up that hill is irrelivent with that. they would have to pay for any damages, as it would be their fault.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's possible you both could get an unsafe driving ticket, the rear driver for stopping to close to the vehicle ahead and the driver in front for backing up and hitting the driver behind. I'd be more incline to believe the driver up front would get the ticket, there's no reason to ever be going backward against traffic, doing so is failure to control your vehicle.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 01-21-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Gday
Banned

haha. I know the feeling. I still feel itchy evertime someone is on my azz on a hill. It's usually "old people"..

I usually roll my car back and forth just as a warning to other drivers that this is a manual car so keep away from my azz. If that doesn't work, I always use my handbrakes as a backup.. The G clutch engages way to late which makes it more difficult to not "roll" the car.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:39 AM
medic165

i prefer m/t for fun, but wife "warned" me if i trade my Z for G37, it's got to be auto.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
patel511

I don't know which one to choose, and I am going thursday to pick one out. Which one should I choose??? I live in Cincinnati, OH where winter is unpredictable season by season. This year we haven't had much snow but last year we had more.... IDK...
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by patel511
I don't know which one to choose, and I am going thursday to pick one out. Which one should I choose???
Take your time, drive both multiple times.
At the end of the day it's a win-win situation; both will make you happy!!

Quick Reply: 6MT vs. auto