General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

6MT vs. auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:15 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gday
Manual cars are definitely more fun to drive. I was given a 07 sedan to drive for a week and a half. When I got my coupe back, I was like dam, big difference. The 6mt is just more fun to drive.

Traffic doesn't bother me at all. I hit the 55 Freeway every day to Newport for work. Basically 1+ hr stop and go traffic.. No problem at all.
+1 I can't see driving a sport car with an auto, JMHO! Could this be why the 6 speed comes standard on the sport edition??
Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Carolina_g37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one thing to keep in mind (just my personal preference) I plan on using the G majority of the week, at least three or four out of seven days of the week. Mainly commuting to work, weekend cruiser.

Since its pretty much my daily driver, I'd prefer the auto... Its fun with a manual, but going up and down hills, stop and go traffic in city, god it gets tiring after while once you run into traffic...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man, they need to create a real manu-matic already. u know, where you press a button and the manual retracts into the engine bay or something and an automatic shifter pops up. of course, the clutch and brake pedals would retract too and be replaced with a bigger brake pedal. how hard can that be?!?!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:09 PM
kg37

It's up to you. You have to drive them both and really think about what u like. I wanted a 6MT... until I tested the 5AT. Go figure!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Gday
Banned

True, all depends on what you want. If you don't know how to drive a manual, then yes, by all means get the auto. No need to make up stories or other excuses. haha.

But a lot of people after owning an auto gets bored and trade in their car for a manual years later. Some even think about converting their autos to manuals. (Waste of money).
Old 01-18-2008, 05:42 PM
tampa pb

i would never drive an auto again until i am retired. i love the feel of actually driving my car, so manual it is for me. this has nothing to do with the question of which is faster though. i dont know if it is possible to really compare the two.
to the best of my understanding, the sport only comes in a 6MT. it has diff suspension than the journey i believe. when more things than just the transmission are involved, it is no longer an apples to apples comparrison.

as far as track times are concerned, automatic is 100% the way to go. and dont paddle shift either. you want to be consistant with drag racing. you can mess up a manual shift, or shift at the wrong time with paddles, but if you leave it in regular auto, it should be the same times every time you race, and thus easier to see faster speeds with the performance mods you do along the way.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:56 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
The sport package includes the same suspension setup as the sport 6MT.
And yeah DS mode (without using the paddles) is more consistent and shifts aggressively.
D mode shifts a little early in 1st gear.
it is fun when you can master it on your own using the paddles however. It's all in the timing in 1st gear.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:11 PM
bryan3d4

Originally Posted by kg37
It's up to you. You have to drive them both and really think about what u like. I wanted a 6MT... until I tested the 5AT. Go figure!
I realize this is off topic, being that the thread is about speed comparisons of auto vs manual, but it appears as though the thread has morph into the justification/preference of transmission.

With that being said, I typically rotate my cars from m/t to a/t and like you KG my plan was to purchase my G with the m/t trans, but after driving both flavors of the G - I decided to go with a/t because I had some concerns with the feel of the m/t.
I won't go into details, because there is another thread that already covers this topic.

And finally, I agree with Tampa - it's hard to determine which is faster, if we're not comparing apples to apples.
However, I have always believed I could get more power out of a m/t (pre-paddle shifters).

Just my .02, well maybe .03
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by bryan3d4
I realize this is off topic, being that the thread is about speed comparisons of auto vs manual, but it appears as though the thread has morph into the justification/preference of transmission.

With that being said, I typically rotate my cars from m/t to a/t and like you KG my plan was to purchase my G with the m/t trans, but after driving both flavors of the G - I decided to go with a/t because I had some concerns with the feel of the m/t.
I won't go into details, because there is another thread that already covers this topic.

And finally, I agree with Tampa - it's hard to determine which is faster, if we're not comparing apples to apples.
However, I have always believed I could get more power out of a m/t (pre-paddle shifters).

Just my .02, well maybe .03
+111

As long as everyone enjoy what they like and don't attack other peoples choices by saying stupid things like "auto's are for girls". That stuff pisses me off.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was looking at an 08 Corvette, problem is I couldn't see buying a corvette with automatic and I definately wanted auto in my next car. I have the two mile an hour crawl too often in my commute and allowing distance just doesn't work with regular complete stops. That pretty much killed buying a full sports car. The next best thing, a Lux sport coupe and the ability to go manual for fun an added bonus. The AT's still offers some shifting fun, and you don't need to move it to DS to use the paddles, i usually use it to downshift when coming to a stop or engine breaking before a turn and then powering out. All this and I get to keep my Joe in my hand on my commute, G ain't life grand.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 PM
kg37

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I was looking at an 08 Corvette, problem is I couldn't see buying a corvette with automatic and I definately wanted auto in my next car. I have the two mile an hour crawl too often in my commute and allowing distance just doesn't work with regular complete stops. That pretty much killed buying a full sports car. The next best thing, a Lux sport coupe and the ability to go manual for fun an added bonus. The AT's still offers some shifting fun, and you don't need to move it to DS to use the paddles, i usually use it to downshift when coming to a stop or engine breaking before a turn and then powering out. All this and I get to keep my Joe in my hand on my commute, G ain't life grand.

I agree!
Old 01-19-2008, 12:28 AM
MAXIMKA

i own 6MT but i drove auto for one week and what i can tell u guys auto on g37 is not that bad stick is a bid faster and u can trully controll your car

so SHIFT ____ 6MT
Old 01-19-2008, 02:40 PM
ABQG35c

wow, Hasn't this topic been beaten to death... Doesn't MyG37 still offer a Search function? lol.. Come on noob tubes, use the Search button..
Old 01-19-2008, 03:49 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ah.. no, let me spice it up a bit...

Point I was trying to make is certain cars dictate the transmission. Auto on a sports car is a sin against God and Nature. Manual on a Luxury coupe... Weekend Warrior.
Jusk kidding, they both get ya there...

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 01-19-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 PM
tampa pb

anyone know the shift points on the AT? if we are talking for turbo, and shift points (not RPM, but MPH) are higher than vs the 6MT, if you can stay in boost longer, your car will do better. what MPH will the AT be when you hit top of each gear? (1st, 2nd, 3rd)? anyone taken our car to the track for a 1/4 mile? what gear are we in when we finish? FI wont change what gear you will be in when you redline each gear, but you will just get there faster. (unless of course you change the gearing)

Quick Reply: 6MT vs. auto