G37 Sedan

Ticking noise normal

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:22 AM
Dmaughon
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise normal

I just got my 2011 g37x. Engine was locked up when I got it so replaced with a used rwd vq37vhr. It had this annoying tick. I have replaced the flex plate, the cat converters, the fuel dampers. I have good oil pressure so it's not the gallery gaskets. Is this normal for them or is something wrong with the engine. I still have a warranty on the engine from the salvage yard. https://youtu.be/D-T4Jz1ZIQI?si=H82zFrUD57CCAvR7
Old Today, 10:57 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmaughon
I just got my 2011 g37x. Engine was locked up when I got it so replaced with a used rwd vq37vhr. It had this annoying tick. I have replaced the flex plate, the cat converters, the fuel dampers. I have good oil pressure so it's not the gallery gaskets. Is this normal for them or is something wrong with the engine. I still have a warranty on the engine from the salvage yard. https://youtu.be/D-T4Jz1ZIQI?si=H82zFrUD57CCAvR7
VVEL ticking noise?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/general...l-ticking.html

I only use Nissan Ester Oil, so I have never heard the noise but have seen numerous others post about it and often hear Gs that are near me in traffic or in parking lots ticking away

It's harmless, just annoying. The article I linked about goes into some of the challenges associated with lubrication of the VVEL setup.

Last edited by socketz67; Today at 11:03 AM.
Old Today, 11:17 AM
Dmaughon
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was my thinking, I just wanted to confirm. Initial startup was with royal purple 5w30 but changed it to mobile 1 0w40 after reading some on the forum. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and get some Ester oil.
Old Today, 11:41 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Dmaughon
That was my thinking, I just wanted to confirm. Initial startup was with royal purple 5w30 but changed it to mobile 1 0w40 after reading some on the forum. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and get some Ester oil.
Oil selection is a heavily debated topic. NEO is essentially a conventional base oil with an excellent additive package, so you will need to change it out every 3000-3500 miles (which is roughly 7 months for me).

ENEOS is rumored to have created the additive package for Nissan, and they now have a full synthetic that looks really good based on 1-2 Oil Analysis I've seen.

My latest NEO analysis is below. Some light shearing and viscosity breakdown, which is typical at 6-7 months/3K miles on conventional oil. Manganese is high because I ran octane boost recently (and the car ran extremely well, but I'm only at 91 Octane in CA otherwise).

Last edited by socketz67; Today at 12:37 PM.