G37 Sedan

G37 sedan / coupe front sunroof drain FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2024, 11:39 AM
gdirty.7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37 sedan / coupe front sunroof drain FIXED

So this is my first post on here and I thought I'd give my 2 cents on how I went about fixing the dreaded sunroof drain problem. This is my third G and my third time fixing it this way, this method has always been the last time I've had this issue, always works! By now it looks as close to as OEM+ as possible. so please forgive me this is my first write-up lol.

Here is what you will need: (2) 3/8 connection tees, (2) 3/8 straight barbs, some silicone, and 20-ish feet of clear tubing (the more flexible, the easier it will be). You can see all the parts in the pictures below.

Steps 1:
The first step is to make sure your sunroof drains are the actual issue, everybody throws that excuse around but, I've had so many areas that have leaked inside my Gs throughout the years that there are multiple ways for water to get in. Not just the sunroof drains. ( examples of other previous problems I've had: Passenger side wiper cowl plastic seal failed and let water behind it, and poured directly into my cabin filter or had my rear roof seam open up a little letting water enter through the rear window area). I told you, I've really seen it all with my cars, but I still love them. This time it's my beloved 2013 G37s sedan with a M/T. Once you've made sure this is your issue, welcome and hopefully, it goes as smoothly as possible for you.
Step 2: The first step would be to remove the plastics. This includes your 2 A-pillars ( these are easy just pull and pry with a plastic prey tool. There's a green tab you'll see when you loosen the A-pillars, just grab longer needle nose pliers and twist that green tab 90 degrees. It will come out. In my other cars I've usually cut this and never had an issue but, I thought I'd keep this as OEM+ as possible), the plastics by your foot( image to follow showing these), and finally the little panel that is very easy to remove underneath the glovebox.

Here are the said plastics.
Step 3: this is the hardest part, not hard but ever so slightly annoying, set the seat as back as possible to give you more room, and fish the new clear tube down next to where the original drain tube is. This will make more sense once you see the pics. I passed the new tube in a way that gravity helped the water drain as much as possible. Doesn't have to be perfect but, the more angle the less water will get stuck and just sit in your new tube. Not that it's a real problem but a perfectionist type of thing. So once you finally have your new tube running down your A pillar and making its way under the dash, you can run it past the pedals any way you see fit, You'll see how I passed mine over the steering column to still try and keep the downward angle of the tube to keep the flow good. Once you pass the pedal it is now time to somehow route it so we can have it appear on the passenger side. OHH but I think Nisan knew I would be in here and left me a wonderful little hole to pass my new hose. How nice of them.

Please keep in mind these were all taken with me on my back facing up. So take that into consideration when looking for a routing method LOL

Please keep in mind these were all taken with me on my back facing up. So take that into consideration when looking for a routing method LOL

Step 4: Now that the driver side is routed into the footwell of the passenger side it's time to work on the passenger side A-pillar. This side is much easier, you have much easier access to fish your new tube down into the footwell area. Just remember to remove that lower plastic panel or else you will be confused about what is holding it back ( ask me how I know LOL).
Step 5: So now that all the new tubes have been run, time to connect them to the existing AC drain underneath the passenger side carpet. This is very easy to fold back since we removed all the plastics beforehand. Once folded back you will see the AC line there. That will be our new sunroof drain tubes new home. So, now that both tubes have been run to the passenger side footwell well connect them all to simply drain by the AC line. All you need to connect here are x2 3/8 TEE joints from Home Depot. ( https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sio...tee/1001002039 ) . So with a fresh razor blade slice the AC line open. Add a little clear silicone to the tee and go ahead and connect the AC line with the new tube we routed ( it is important to add some silicone here since the original AC hose is a bit bigger than our 3/8 barb, little silicone goes a long way, ( pics to follow). And to the same thing for the hose from the passenger side A pillar. Here take a look,

This is coming from the passenger side A pillar connecting it to the AC line with the Tee fitting. I used some silicone and zip ties cause I'm paranoid LOL.

This is the connection for the driver-side A pillar tube connection to the same AC line. Again silicone and zip ties are used.

This is the same driver side, but a wider angle to show you where the tube is run. Following the clear tube in this image with lead you to the driver's side ( no need to remove the driver-side carpet, it's fully accessible)
Step 6: Hooray, you finished the "hard stuff". Grab a beer and feel free to stretch your now destroyed back from being under there LOL. So this would be the time to reinstall all the plastics and carpet but, I left it open to make sure it worked. It's up to you. I just like making sure it all flows well.
Step 7: Now the easiest part connecting the tubes in the A-pillar to the original sunroof drain. This is done using another 3/8 straight-through barb. Here is the Home Depot link ( https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sio...cer/1001001397 ) for anyone wanting to use all the same items I got. It costed about $20 including the 20ft roll of clear 3/8 hose.
I spread a little layer of silicone too here. You'll have to obviously cut the old tube to connect it to the new one. Then just slide the 2 together and VOILA you now have a brand new and better drain tube that will work way better. Here on some pics at the A-pillar connection ( same for both sides).

This is the final product for the Passenger side A-pillar.
t
This is the final product for the driver-side A-pillar.
Step 8: The last step would be to just plug the old drain tube we are no longer using with a bit of silicone so nothing can get in, including humidity since this is now just open to the outside. Once you do that, reinstall your A-pillar trims. They fit fine but, you might have to just play with the new hose to make them fit perfectly. Pretty easy you have enough room for them both.
ANNNNNND boom you have now completely fixed your sunroof drains. Finally. Now you can open your sunroof and test the draining by pouring some water down. You can even use some soapy water to clean out the tubes and run some warm water after that to flush them. Mine needed this as they were full of crud.

Like I said at the beginning, I have done this to my 3 G37, and it's worth every minute it takes me. I would do this even as a precaution. Feel free to ask me any questions, shoot me a DM on my Instagram @ 6speedsedan. Thank you for the read and hopefully my first write-up helps some of my fellow VQers. Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails G37 sedan / coupe front sunroof drain FIXED-2013_infiniti_g37_sedan_dashboard.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Shane D (09-06-2024)