G37 Sedan

Follow-up to passenger side leak, 7 years later

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 12:48 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Follow-up to passenger side leak, 7 years later

After 7 years the dreaded issue I had in this post is back (Passenger side dashboard leak - MyG37). The worst part about that post was that the water ended up frying my BCM so it had to be replaced under warranty. The dealer solution was to remove the gasket and apply silicone on the drain hose plug and it worked. Until a few days ago.

It happened when I washed the car. I did not notice there was water until I started to clean the leather on the seats and I noticed water on the rubber mats, a pillar and inside the plastic trim piece by the glove compartment. My first thought was '**** this, I am trading it to a dealer and I will let them deal with it' I did not care what I got for my G. Then I took time to calm down because at least my bcm isn't fried.

After a few videos I took the a pillar, ac vent and glovebox apart. More water drops. So I put a few damp-rid bags inside the car while waiting for the new sunroof plug to arrive.

Once I received the new plug I removed the old plug. It was completely clogged with dirt right at the baffle. So I cut the baffle from the new unit and installed it. Poured water right into the sunroof hole. No leaks, all water drained to the bottom of the car. The longest part was scraping the silicone residue left from the dealer so that the gasket can get a good seal. I highly suggest some extra long needle nose pliers. I just ordered some and will also do the driver side as well, although it looks like it's harder to reach.

How this passed engineering QA is beyond me.

Car has about 110k miles. I love this car, except when in traffic when I hate it and want an automatic.

Last edited by gannicus; 08-13-2024 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that the dealer removed the gasket
Old 08-13-2024, 02:47 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 331 Likes on 253 Posts
These days, most folks reroute the sunroof drain tubes to entirely bypass those firewall grommets (they’re def a poor design). Typically this is done by tapping into the existing A/C condensation drain tube, which exits the cabin in the passenger side footwell. Here are some pics from my project:

Old 08-13-2024, 03:05 PM
gannicus
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I thought about that but I did not want to make more connections. I also thought about making a connection and snaking it to the ac drain hole.
Old 08-15-2024, 01:41 PM
2010sedanS
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
These days, most folks reroute the sunroof drain tubes to entirely bypass those firewall grommets (they’re def a poor design). Typically this is done by tapping into the existing A/C condensation drain tube, which exits the cabin in the passenger side footwell. Here are some pics from my project:

I went with this same route and I recommend it as well. The whole project went flawlessly and took around 4 hours if i recall correctly.