G37 Sedan

Unknown Loud Squealing Passenger Side

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 10:30 PM
zphillips62
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unknown Loud Squealing Passenger Side

Hi! I've recently installed new brake pads and front rotors for my 2013 sedan. Ever since then, my car has developed a really loud squealing noise while I am driving. The noise is a high pitch constant squeal that seems to only appear after the car has been warmed up and been driven around for a few miles, it is silent in the morning. It is most apparent at normal city driving speeds (30-50mph). The noise also stops as soon as I even tap the brakes, and comes back as soon as I let go. It is sometimes more noticeable while driving up a slope. It also turns more into a cyclic chirping when turning right after the sounds has started. It sounds as though something metal is in contact with my rotors but I can't seem to identify what it is.

The first 2 or 3 days after installing the pads, it was perfectly fine with no issues, then the squealing randomly started. I should mention I purchased the Duralast Elite pads for the front and Duralast gold for the rears. As far as I can tell from the driver's seat and lowering each window at a time, I am quite sure it is the passenger side that it making the noise. I first took it to a Les Schwab since they inspect the brakes for free and was told that my front rotors were hotspotted which was the cause. So the same day I bought new Duralast rotors and installed new front rotors. The sound persisted. I have now taken it to my usual mechanic shop and they first told me that the brake hardware on the right front brake was installed wrong. After taking it back and driving for about 40 minutes, the sound came right back so I took it back to them and then they regreased and lubed the brakes again, only for me to find that it has not gone away still.

The mechanic informed me that nothing seemed to be touching my rotors, but that my rear rotors have a small lip on them, and suggested trying to fix that. I took the opportunity to just order a full set of the StopTech pads and rotors in hopes that higher quality pads and rotors would help my issue.

I have attached a video of the sound that my car makes. I am hoping that someone may be able to help identify this sound so that I stop losing my mind while driving lol.

Thanks so much.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_6650.MOV (2.76 MB, 12 views)
Old 08-11-2023, 08:07 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Might be a dust shield that got bent during all the brake hardware swapping. When they rub it's a high pitched squeal.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:00 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
This is just a wild guess on my part. I think the rotors are expanding when hot to just barely touch the pads. And I think the pads were just a tad thicker than oem pads. But I could be wrong though, lol.
Old 08-11-2023, 11:29 PM
zphillips62
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Might be a dust shield that got bent during all the brake hardware swapping. When they rub it's a high pitched squeal.
Yeah I thought so too, I checked that but I'll give it a closer look again when I put in the new brakes. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2023, 11:30 PM
zphillips62
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mummy2
This is just a wild guess on my part. I think the rotors are expanding when hot to just barely touch the pads. And I think the pads were just a tad thicker than oem pads. But I could be wrong though, lol.
Ahhh maybe that could be it too, is there any way you might suggest how to go about fixing that, other than to just keep driving lol. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2023, 12:26 AM
mummy2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by zphillips62
Ahhh maybe that could be it too, is there any way you might suggest how to go about fixing that, other than to just keep driving lol. Thank you!
A different set of pads or switch the 2 front pads to the other side. Are they semi-metallic pads that you got?
Old 08-12-2023, 09:53 AM
zphillips62
Registered Member

A different set of pads or switch the 2 front pads to the other side. Are they semi-metallic pads that you got?
I'm pretty sure they're ceramic, its the Duralast Elite pads in the front and Duralast Gold in the rears, I've since ordered the Centric Posi Quiets now but in the meantime I'll try switching the pads to the other side like you said. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2023, 10:32 AM
zphillips62
Registered Member

also sorry this is still the first car I've ever worked on myself, but is there a specific side each pad goes on? and if so, how could I tell?
Old 08-12-2023, 12:21 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

also sorry this is still the first car I've ever worked on myself, but is there a specific side each pad goes on? and if so, how could I tell?
No they can go on any side though always put the pad with the wear indicator on the inside position.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-NC G37S (08-12-2023)
Old 08-12-2023, 12:31 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
+1 for mummy2's comment.
You should have 2 pads that have a metal tab riveted to the pad, like this:

These go to the inside of the caliper. The ones without that tab go to the outside.

also sorry this is still the first car I've ever worked on myself...
Never apologize for asking questions on how to work on your car and kudos to you for wanting to learn and do the work. That is what this forum is for- the sharing of information. We all had to learn at one point or another. The brakes on these cars are super easy to work on, I am confident you'll get it sorted.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:37 PM
zphillips62
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
+1 for mummy2's comment.
You should have 2 pads that have a metal tab riveted to the pad, like this:

These go to the inside of the caliper. The ones without that tab go to the outside.

Never apologize for asking questions on how to work on your car and kudos to you for wanting to learn and do the work. That is what this forum is for- the sharing of information. We all had to learn at one point or another. The brakes on these cars are super easy to work on, I am confident you'll get it sorted.

Hey thanks I appreciate that! Also I think I have that correct on my rear pads, I put the pads with indicators on in the inside, however for the front pads, they both seem to have wear indicators on all 4 pads for the front, unless I'm mistaking that.

This is from the front pads I have. So all the pads for my front brakes seem to have those wear indicators, and look like those.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:18 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I would check with AutoZone and make sure that is how the front pads are packaged. If that is how they come, you can always break the tab off of two pads. The outer pad should not have this piece on it per the factory manual.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:36 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

I would check with AutoZone and make sure that is how the front pads are packaged.
A lot of the "higher end" aftermarket pads from auto part stores come with wear indicators on all 4 pads, while the lowest end ones don't have any at all.
Old 08-12-2023, 01:44 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, mummy2. That's a new one to me, then again, I do not use chain store parts so,..
Old 08-12-2023, 01:47 PM
mummy2
Registered Member

+1 for mummy2's comment. The brakes on these cars are super easy to work on, I am confident you'll get it sorted.
The sport brakes are easy. Can't speak on the regular calipers. I can change pads in about 10 minutes per axle using an impact wrench and a screwdriver. And that includes taking the wheels on and off. Add a few extra minutes for changing rotors. The fronts are extra easy since you can turn the wheel out to get easy access to everything.

Last edited by mummy2; 08-12-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Unknown Loud Squealing Passenger Side