G37 Sedan

Is no retaining clip for HID bulb acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 03:32 PM
azncopyrite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is no retaining clip for HID bulb acceptable?

Like some other DIY enthusiasts, I also changed my own HID headlights and found myself breaking the fragile retaining clip for the Y metal spring. The HID bulb fits with the ballast properly attached and the plastic cover over the entry. There's definitely not enough space with the ballast and cover on for the bulb to come out. It could potentially come loose.

My questions are:
  1. What's the likely hood of this being an issue? What's the worst that can happen if the bulb jiggles loose... no light? I just don't want to short anything or cause more damage.
  2. Is moisture an issue? There was no rubber gasket indicating the HID bulb is needing to be sealed from moisture. I also can't see the Y spring creating enough tension to prevent moisture from entering even in humid areas.
  3. What are people's recommendation regarding the necessity to repair?
    1. I see some folks did a DIY with metal wire on the Y spring to keep tension.
    2. Others replaced the projector cover.
    3. I've read some folks drove for a few months with no issues. Can I just keep driving and not fix?
Background: 2013 G37x Sedan. I live in Washington State (so it'll drizzle a bit). Swapped in 6k D2S bulbs from Diode Dynamics.

Other G37 forums on retaining clip:
  1. https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...headlight.html
  2. https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...eadlights.html
  3. https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...headlight.html
Old 05-25-2023, 12:16 AM
Martinez1041
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You could probably get away with of your waiting for a new in the mail or something but long term I wouldn’t let it rock. These bulbs in general are very sensitive. We hit bumps and s##t all day long. A clip is cheaper than having to get new bulb. Just order a new clip
Old 05-25-2023, 09:37 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by azncopyrite
My questions are:
  1. What's the likely hood of this being an issue? What's the worst that can happen if the bulb jiggles loose... no light? I just don't want to short anything or cause more damage.
  2. Is moisture an issue? There was no rubber gasket indicating the HID bulb is needing to be sealed from moisture. I also can't see the Y spring creating enough tension to prevent moisture from entering even in humid areas.
  3. What are people's recommendation regarding the necessity to repair?
    1. I see some folks did a DIY with metal wire on the Y spring to keep tension.
    2. Others replaced the projector cover.
    3. I've read some folks drove for a few months with no issues. Can I just keep driving and not fix?
1. With a loose bulb, light output (the beam) will "jiggle" as you drive. This will be highly irritating to other drivers and can present a safety issue. You might get away with it temporarily but eventually the bulb will "fall out" of the projector housing and "bounce around." Especially with the weight of the ignitor attached. Tough as these bulbs are, the inner glass capsule is very easy to break. One bad pothole and "pop," shattered bulb.

2. Moisture is not the issue as the outer cover has a gasket that seals the entire headlamp assembly. As the whole unit is sealed, the projector chamber itself does not need to be watertight.

3. It is your car. If you want to drive around with a half-așșed headlight that is up to you. If it were me, I would try the wire trick first. If there is a local "pull-a-part" (junkyard) near you, find any modern Nissan/ Infiniti and pull the clip from there. Could even try eBay. You're just replacing a clip, not the whole bloody headlamp.

Whatever the solution, the bulb must be secured to the projector housing just enough to keep it from moving freely in the projector housing. Fix it, or buy a case of bulbs to have on hand when they repeatedly break. And they will.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-25-2023 at 12:51 PM.