G37 Sedan

2010 g37x manual swap AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 03:44 AM
Charzardbolt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 g37x manual swap AWD

Hey guys! 👋 bought my 2010 G37x in 2019. I've finally just paid it off🙌! I want to keep the car until it dies! And then I'm going to revive it everytime until I die! So I plan on fully building the engine, FI eventually, but I want to over bore it to 4.0 before-hand. I have Stillen Gen 3 long tube CAI as my only mod right now. Next up is full exhaust and then a tune. Then Akebono BBK with 19 in wheels. Then I want to figure out how I can keep the AWD system, but manual swap it. I know the original manual isn't compatible with the transfer case, but I wonder if there is another manual transmission that I could mod to fit it or some other way I can make it work. Keep in mind this is a work in progress and this is going to be throughout my lifetime ❤️ thanks guys! I will upload pics soon!
Old 04-27-2023, 10:46 AM
zoe infinity
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Congrats buddy ! enjoy it

Last edited by zoe infinity; 04-27-2023 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:17 AM
andrew_zimba

I wonder if you could transplant in a GTR drivetrain?
Old 05-19-2023, 10:55 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by andrew_zimba
I wonder if you could transplant in a GTR drivetrain?
Not without costing at least 2-3x more than the car is worth. Plus, the R35 GT-R is not a manual. It is a 6-speed DCT (dual clutch transmission).

Now, DCT swaps have been done in other Nissan's (none in the G37 that I know of). Keep in mind that the DCT on the GT-R is rear mounted so extensive modification to the "trans tunnel" as well as the rear suspension components would have to be researched/ fabricated. The torque tube and driveshafts would need customization. Not to mention the electronics. However, with enough resources and dedication, anything is possible.

This is why some folks are sticking with swapping in the 7AT from the newer VR30's. It is practically plug-and-play with very little modifications needed.

However, that is not the subject of this thread, so... back to topic.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-19-2023 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:01 PM
Charzardbolt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Not without costing at least 2-3x more than the car is worth. Plus, the R35 GT-R is not a manual. It is a 6-speed DCT (dual clutch transmission).

Now, DCT swaps have been done in other Nissan's (none in the G37 that I know of). Keep in mind that the DCT on the GT-R is rear mounted so extensive modification to the "trans tunnel" as well as the rear suspension components would have to be researched/ fabricated. The torque tube and driveshafts would need customization. Not to mention the electronics. However, with enough resources and dedication, anything is possible.

This is why some folks are sticking with swapping in the 7AT from the newer VR30's. It is practically plug-and-play with very little modifications needed.

However, that is not the subject of this thread, so... back to topic.
There is a R34 transmission adapter, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. That is the route i will be going, but first I need to figure out how im going to do the TCM. Because my car is a 7AT. https://www.lojkits.com/products/vq-...r-and-flywheel
There is mention that I will need to use the attesa hydraulic system, instead of the electronic one. I also need to figure that out.
Old 05-19-2023, 03:13 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
I have to admit I wasn't even thinking of the pre-2009 GT-R's. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 05-19-2023, 03:53 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Charzardbolt
There is a R34 transmission adapter, but I haven't seen anyone do it yet. That is the route i will be going, but first I need to figure out how im going to do the TCM. Because my car is a 7AT. https://www.lojkits.com/products/vq-...r-and-flywheel
There is mention that I will need to use the attesa hydraulic system, instead of the electronic one. I also need to figure that out.
If you're serious about this.

ECM will need to be flashed, NATS deleted and converted to M/T.
You'll most likely have to delete the OEM AWD unit being that it might not be compatible with the R34 transfer case. There is some info out there that the transfer case of the G will work on the R34 GTR trans however it would require you to use the G transfer to obtain keep the electronics from it since it wouldn't swap over onto the R34. The same applies for the bell housing, the GTR wont fit the VQ

Possibly custom length drive shafts

tons of tuning and quite possibly some rewiring of components

The attesa works on the differential so it doesnt need to be transferred over. Keep in mind the Getrag 6 speed looks like the only thing that will work for the AWD and they are getting pricy as the R34 became legal to import. It's possible that the 5 Speed GTR trans might work.

Be prepared to spend a good $10k on this dream.