G37 Sedan

Door locks and window problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 10:07 PM
Beni836
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door locks and window problems

So, I'll keep it simple and brief. My 2009 G37x Sedan has a perplexing issue that frankly I'm not sure where to go from here. It was fine one day, until this finally just went kaput.

So, my car unlocks fine. I can use the button or keyfob. But under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, will it lock itself, I have to manually lean around the interior to lock every door if I should hit any unlock button within the vehicle or on the keyfob. I'm not sure why this is.

The windows of the car also do not operate under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Nothing gets them to go down, I'm not sure why, but they just decided to not work anymore. Lastly, there is no longer any functionality from interior lighting, the dome light, lights in the rears, lights in the sun visor, none of them work.

Besides these elements, the car is fine. The radio works, Nav works, music works, all the speakers work, rear cam works, even the mirror adjust and heated seats still work perfectly fine. AC/Heat still works fine as well. Starts every time. I've put it off a few days because it's a minor annoyance, but I wanna know if anyone has any ideas why because it has gotten annoying.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:22 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
re: windows and locks, it is possible that the driver-side master window switch may be going bad. The switch is a "unified" module in that it controls both the windows and the locks.

HOWEVER!

When factoring in your additional symptoms (lights/ erratic behaviours), have you checked for water intrusion near the BCM? Check the passenger-side floor area for water as it is more likely than not (given car is 14-years-old) that water is leaking onto the BCM which would account for these issues.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:36 AM
Beni836
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
re: windows and locks, it is possible that the driver-side master window switch may be going bad. The switch is a "unified" module in that it controls both the windows and the locks.

HOWEVER!

When factoring in your additional symptoms (lights/ erratic behaviours), have you checked for water intrusion near the BCM? Check the passenger-side floor area for water as it is more likely than not (given car is 14-years-old) that water is leaking onto the BCM which would account for these issues.
I had that problem not to long ago and it bricked the car. I ended up being able to salvage the bcm after drying it out. I sourced the leak to being from a bad seal with the rain cowl and the wiring harness had let water drip from above down onto the passenger floor.

it worked fine for awhile, I did buy a spare bcm module in case this one had some random issue down the line. Are you saying I may need to swap them? I just gotta get this bcm programmed
Old 04-23-2023, 10:51 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Beni836
Are you saying I may need to swap them? I just gotta get this bcm programmed
If it were me, I would check again for water. I understand you resolved the cowl/ wiring harness leak, but there is still the (potential) sunroof drain to reckon with. I "thought" I had resolved my cowl issue only for it leak yet again. While you are in there I would also suggest you check your cabin air filter for water. If everything is 100% bone dry then you proceed to the BCM itself.

Before replacing anything, remove your BCM and check for any moisture/ corrosion/ crud. Being that the BCM had gotten wet in the past, corrosion is inevitable. Be sure to check each connector "slot" for signs of issues. Sometimes just removing the connector and plugging it back in can resolve a poor connection issue. If all looks good, reinstall and go from there.