G37 Sedan

Complex Question about AV Radio Control Modules

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 10:20 AM
haleakalag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Complex Question about AV Radio Control Modules

Hi. Hope someone can help. Have factory Bose w Navigation in 2 Infinitis, including G37. If one buys a new or used Av Control module, should the radio play regardless of whether the module is programmed properly or not. In other words, is it pass- through type wiring where the sound will work, but more complex/model -specific things like Navigation, settings, etc would not. I’m asking because I’ve lost all sound trying to replace a bad module (partial display, no functions working x for sound and AC) with one from another vehicle, and when I put the old module back the sound works. Any chance it’s programming, or should the simple audio (radio, backup sensor sound) be plug and play?? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:33 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Before getting into all that, please be specific as to year, model, and trim:

1) What vehicle has/ what is the "issue, " and
2) What "donor" vehicle are you using parts from?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 02-12-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:12 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Before getting into all that, please be specific as to year, model, and trim:

1) What vehicle has/ what is the "issue, " and
2) What "donor" vehicle are you using parts from?
My post relates to 2017 Infiniti Q70 premium with defective Bose module- partial delayed boot, screen works but no normal display or functions- at 1 minute get AC controls and 1 radio channel which won’t change (NO AM/Fm, Navigation, Bluetooth, steering controls L don’t work) Good sound and volume control at 1 minute; replaced with next years module 259153JA2C (previous was B). Screen and functions never worked better, but no sound. Yet sound works great w original bad module. I posted on this forum to see if anyone knows if the audio/sound part of these modules is pass-thru play and plug, and not dependent on programming like most other functions. In other words, do we try another module, or reprogram the new one at dealership (did once w a mechanic w consult 3 over internet). Thanks for help on play and plug question. It makes a difference. The place that sold me the module said they had tested it, and thought it odd all non audio would be normal, favored a programming problem.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:23 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

An identical question could be- say my 2011 G37 Journey with 259151JA2A Bose AV module has lost Navigation, AM/FM display controls, etc, but still has sound (radio sound and sonar). Replace it with 2012 EX 259151JA2B. Should it be a plug and play audio, or will it require programming for audio (I know navigation and other things require reprogramming- just went thru it w other car). Thanks again, just trying to avoid another $600 trip to dealer if I’m better off sending out module for repair (vs $6000 + labor for new one). Thanks to anyone who followed this.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:07 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by haleakalag
...259153JA2C (previous was B).
First, let me point out that with Nissan's part numbering system, the last 5 digits indicate the specific vehicle the part is intended for. Any change, like "B to C" does NOT indicate that this is a revised part/ supersession.

Audio is pass through as long as you stay within the trim (ie. base to base, Bose to Bose, etc.). There is no "programming" per se, however, there is a configuration file that the dealer writes using their CONSULT tool which is likely what the dealer did for you last time:

I doubt there was any significant difference between 2016 and your 2017.

Though these headunits can fail, it does appear that you have a separate issue as iCrap alluded to in the previous thread.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:16 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

First, let me point out that with Nissan's part numbering system, the last 5 digits indicate the specific vehicle the part is intended for. Any change, like "B to C" does NOT indicate that this is a revised part/ supersession.

Audio is pass through as long as you stay within the trim (ie. base to base, Bose to Bose, etc.). There is no "programming" per se, however, there is a configuration file that the dealer writes using their CONSULT tool which is likely what the dealer did for you last time:

I doubt there was any significant difference between 2016 and your 2017.

Though these headunits can fail, it does appear that you have a separate issue as iCrap alluded to in the previous thread.
THANKS SO MUCH for the quick detailed reply. The new used module 259153JA2C replaced/supersedes the one we removed 259153JA2B (not available anymore) according to Infiniti and the parts site. That’s why we picked it. The killer is the install went great, the screen boots perfectly now and Bluetooth is even a hair quicker to connect to my phone. But now there is no sound. And sound works fine with the defective removed module, almost nothing else does. Since the place said the used module was tested and sound worked in original car, my mechanic suggested updating all programming at the dealership as possible fix, realizing it might just be another bad module. If it’s definite pass through, I probably should cancel my dealer appointment for Tues and just try to get module repaired?? So much time and money wasted, but still beats $6000+ for new one.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:20 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It is a parts supersession when buying NEW as the dealer will apply the correct configuration file at time of installation based on your specific vehicle.

Being that you have the appointment for the dealer already scheduled, I would just have them reapply the configuration file and see if that fixes the issue. It almost sounds like the amp is not turning on or something minor. I would have you check the self-diagnostics but I am not sure how far down this rabbit hole you want to travel/ how skilled you are at electronics (no offense).

Why didn't you buy a used unit off eBay?
Old 02-12-2023, 02:28 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

It is a parts supersession when buying NEW as the dealer will apply the correct configuration file at time of installation based on your specific vehicle.

Why didn't you buy a used unit off eBay?
It is a used one off eBay for $500. And spoke to the place which confirmed it worked, which I believe. He said they haven’t seen any fail with everything else working. The sound is one thing, why the steering column controls do
other functions made me think it was a configuration issue. But I was hoping sound wasn’t pass through so at least a chance of re-configuring helping. Thanks again. PS/ I can’t find another used module on EBay or anywhere, otherwise I would have just tried again.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:32 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to say. We checked the amp, and receptacles, all working. We even put the old module back in and confirmed sound was completely normal. So only 2 possibilities are bad used module (preamp out or something), or was hoping a configuration issue (which now seems very unlikely with no pass through). Bummer.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:41 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

...why the steering column controls do other functions made me think it was a configuration issue.
Elaborate, please. Was the donor vehicle the same as your car?

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the other "cheaper" Q70 modules would work just the same...
Old 02-12-2023, 02:41 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

My mechanic used a Consult 3+ and found no radio related error codes w new used module in (old one didn’t work enough to get codes). I did the self diagnosis and only error message is TCU connection error every time, which I guess has nothing to do with sound.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:46 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

No, you mentioned the steering wheel controls "do other functions." Unless there was a major change for the 2017 model, your steering wheel controls should be the same- hell they are the same going back to 2008 models...

Also, there is a self-diagnosis within the headunit itself. This is described in the factory manual.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:46 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

Elaborate, please. Was the donor vehicle the same as your car?

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the other "cheaper" Q70 modules would work just the same...
It’s from a 2018 QX80, SUV vs my sedan. The screen and controls appear similar to mine. Steering wheel controls seem a little different.
Old 02-12-2023, 02:49 PM
haleakalag
Registered Member

No, you mentioned the steering wheel controls "do other functions." Unless there was a major change for the 2017 model, your steering wheel controls should be the same- hell they are the same going back to 2008 models...

Also, there is a self-diagnosis within the headunit itself. This is described in the factory manual.
Y. The channel up button now changes channels down. The down doesn’t work at all. The up Volume brings up the Settings display. Down volume something else. But otherwise as good or better then original (speed and response, especially blue tooth).
Old 02-12-2023, 02:58 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

It’s from a 2018 QX80, SUV vs my sedan. The screen and controls appear similar to mine. Steering wheel controls seem a little different.
Then it may very well be a configuration issue. There is a vast difference between sedan and wagon.

This also explains the TCU code. The "TCU" error your mechanic found is likely the "Telematics Control Unit" throwing the error- which could have everything to do with your sound issue.

Unfortunately, there are no factory manuals available for the newer Q70's and QX80's as yet so I can not confirm is the wiring is even the same but I am leaning toward either a configuration issue or a issue with the hardware (AV unit).

Quick Reply: Complex Question about AV Radio Control Modules