G37 Sedan

Neverending TPMS Saga

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 06:12 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neverending TPMS Saga

This issue has been going on for a month now, but it started one day while driving, the TPMS light started flashing, then went solid, the pressure in all four tires were fine, so I figured it was a bad sensor. The car is a 2010 G37x Sedan, and the sensors are all still original (owned the car since 2013). I took it to my mechanic, who called me and asked me how long the light was on. The reason he asked was because all four sensors were measuring dead. Given the sensors are 13 years old, I told him to just replace all four, but it was really odd that all of them were showing as dead. He uses Autel (not OEM), which I do tend to trust among aftermarket sensors, and he uses them pretty exclusively in all the cars he works on there.

He installs four new Autel sensors, they all measure great, and registers them with the BCM... no issue whatsoever. I take the car home and drive about 8 miles... TPMS light starts flashing, then solid again. I take it back to him and the error in the BCM is the same... "no data". Like he sees the sensors there, and the car likes them for 8 miles, then just says ok, I'm not getting data from these anymore and gives up... even though he still sees those sensors registered to the car. Doing some other research, I saw a similar issue that was tied to the TPMS antenna module (40740-1NC2A). I bit the bullet and bought the part (more expensive than it should be :-/) and I had my mechanic install it, clear all errors, and drove it home. Again, after 8 miles, light starts flashing, then goes solid... so after all new sensors and new TPMS antenna... no progress.

I am pretty frustrated at this point as I'm not sure what else to do... I guess my first question, do we have to run OEM sensors, could that be part of the problem? Second question, I am seeing different information on different sites that cars manufactured on 03/10 or after have different sensors than before that, does anyone know if that is actually correct? Third, does anyone familiar with TPMS on these cars know of anything else to try?

My mechanic is really good, but is more of a German car guru and not sure where to go with this either other than maybe OEM sensors or replacing the BCM (if that is even possible?), but if the car registers and keeps the sensors, doesn't that mean the BCM is ok?
Old 01-28-2023, 09:16 AM
zoe infinity
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
did you try to change the lights in the mechanic shop ?

Last edited by zoe infinity; 01-28-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:09 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

What do you mean change the lights? reset the tpms lights? yes, he reset the lights/errors each time and they come back on after 8 miles
Old 01-28-2023, 12:12 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
could it be tpms module? It's located inside the glove box.. refer to
Old 01-28-2023, 12:27 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

Thanks, that was the second thing I replaced in part because of that video, but same issue
Old 01-28-2023, 12:41 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Did your mechanic check for any codes?
Old 01-28-2023, 12:45 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

There were codes in the BCM that he cleared... I don't have the exact code, but the message with the code that he told me was essentially 'no data received from sensors'.
Old 01-28-2023, 12:57 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

The actual "C" codes would allow us to determine if the issue is with the sensors (unlikely) or the BCM.

Plenty of folks have used aftermarket sensors with no issues and being that your mechanic is able to initially sync them to the BCM- which then "forgets about them-" leads me to believe that the BCM might have a hiccup. Any chance water made its way near the BCM (common issue). Again, the codes would have helped.

To be honest, I wouldn't bother with them especially if you have to replace the BCM. The costs will outweigh the value, IMO. Yes, the idiot light is annoying but... ultimately, it is your call.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:41 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

This is really good to know and very much appreciated, I'll reach back out to him on Monday to see if he still has records of the codes. If not, I'll just stop by and have him read it again to get the codes. I guess I would be surprised if water made it into the BCM. The car is garage kept except when my wife takes it to/from work. It is only her commuter car and we use my car on the weekends, so it just sits in the garage unless she is going to work. I'm not typically one that lets lights go :-/... especially when I have so much invested trying to fix this already, I'm nearly $700 into this now. That OEM TPMS antenna alone (that goes behind the glove box) was $290 and isn't returnable :-/. With that being said, if it is indeed the BCM, how much is something like that to replace? I can't say I found that part when looking on Infiniti wholesale direct.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:19 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

While I am not one to let lights go either, the TPMS on these cars was useless from the beginning. My light has been on for years and won't be "addressed" until I get new tires (in a few years at least) and even then... maybe not.

I would never have bought a TPMS module "new" when there are tons of used modules on eBay for ≈$20-30. A new BCM will run at least $550 not including programming fees (used run ≈$150+/-).

Right now we are playing "what-if's." Once you are able to get the codes then we will know more.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:45 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

I always go to ebay as my first source of parts in a scenario like this, but the part number (40740-1NC2A) literally yielded zero results? Maybe I am missing something there, but that is one of two reasons why I went the new route. Yes, I will work on getting the codes early this coming week.
Old 01-30-2023, 05:05 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

As promised, here are the codes from the BCM; I apologize for the glare:

Old 01-30-2023, 05:48 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

According to those codes, the issue lies with the sensors. I know you went Autel (aftermarket) but did your mechanic order the correct ones? Do you know if they are specific to the G37 or did he use the "universal" type?
From the factory manual:

I have attached to this post a copy of the Wheel/Tire section of the factory manual which details how to diagnose the TPMS (pp. 26-28). I do not know if your mechanic's scan tool can read live data but he may want to check and see if he can follow the diagnostic chain outlined in the manual. Being that all four are showing a error, the issue has to be either with the sensors or the BCM.

When you first start the car, does the TPMS light blink for one minute then go solid?

Your VIN will include your cars build date and identify which specific sensor you need. Nissan did change them in 2010 (different frequency, perhaps IDK).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
WT 2011 Sdn.pdf (1.11 MB, 30 views)

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-30-2023 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:46 PM
jjquantum
Registered Member

Great Information! Thank You! The TPMS light does blink from one minute when the car is turned on, then goes solid. Does that indicate something specific?

As far as generic or car specific for the Autels, I didn't think to ask, but you bring up a really good point. I was just looking and Infiniti has different OE TPMS part numbers for G37s up to manufacture date of 03/10 vs after 03/10. Before 03/10, it was 40700JK01B, and after 03/10 it was 407001LA0E. The really odd thing is that both operate on 315Mhz frequency though, so I wonder what is different about them? Even on RockAuto, the Dorman and Denso TPMS sensors are a different part number for each of the respective OE parts listed above. Something tells me he used the generic, because his statement today was that "as long as they operate on the same frequency, they should work".

I'm looking at the troubleshooting procedure as outlined that manual, and given his comments about not wanting to touch the BCM in my car, I don't think is something he would want to pursue, meaning, I guess I would be on the hook for trying to find someone else.

He did mention however that if I wanted to try different TPMS sensors, he would do it for me at no cost (I just have to pay for the parts). I'm wondering given the Autels being a 'potential' culprit if replacing them with a known OE correct part would be a good next step?
Old 01-30-2023, 09:18 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Mine has been doing this for years. I know the sensors are dead as they are original 2008's... Based on that I am more inclined to suspect the Autel's than I am the BCM.

I am sure there is some small configuration change either in the receiver module or the BCM that makes a difference between the two sensors. If there was no difference, then it wouldn't be distinctly noted in the parts catalogs.

Being that you are this far down the rabbit hole and if it were me I would suggest you source a set of OEM sensors MATCHED TO YOUR VIN and have him install those.

Of course, this is coming from someone who "disregards" his own TPMS nonsense, lol. So take it as you will...

Good luck! And, please keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Neverending TPMS Saga