G37 Sedan

Z1 Sedan Cat-back Touring Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 01:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The dyno results shown below were captured on a 2009 G37 Sedan that was completely stock prior to the installation of a Z1 Touring Exhaust. This car gained 28whp and 13wtq after installing the exhaust, an impressive number for an otherwise stock car!
The only way a G37 gains 28 hp because of a cat-back is if it's also tuned. Period.

You know, I actually like Z1 Motorsports, and I've bought a number of their products: transmission mount, engine mounts and 2-piece rotors. And I particularly like their front man in the videos... he has this disarming but enthusiastic car nerd thing going on. But this horsepower claim is a straight-up falsehood. There's no other way to interpret it. Makes me kind of sad they're lying about this.
Old 01-12-2023, 08:31 PM
thescreensavers
Registered Member

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
What's the reasoning behind using a cast aluminum collector?
It's stainless, No need to pay a welder big money to make collectors when you can just buy 10,000 collectors that you just need to weld on a pipe too. They likely did the math and casted part was cheaper.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (01-13-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 01:02 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
The only way a G37 gains 28 hp because of a cat-back is if it's also tuned. Period.

You know, I actually like Z1 Motorsports, and I've bought a number of their products: transmission mount, engine mounts and 2-piece rotors. And I particularly like their front man in the videos... he has this disarming but enthusiastic car nerd thing going on. But this horsepower claim is a straight-up falsehood. There's no other way to interpret it. Makes me kind of sad they're lying about this.
I think most reasonable people should know a NA car is not gaining that much power from exhaust alone. Turbo cars.... that's a different story. But I do agree that I don't like they don't make it clear.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I think most reasonable people should know a NA car is not gaining that much power from exhaust alone.
Oh I don't agree with that at all. I suspect the high majority (no pun) of people buying the Z1 catback will be bragging how they added 28 hp to their car. These are the same people who take manufacturer claims about a CAI, plus manufacturer claims about exhaust mods, and simply add them together as if they're counting jellybeans.

Does that make them unreasonable? I don't think so. Maybe you can call them willfully misinformed. Pretty sure Z1 will just call them "customers".
Old 01-14-2023, 10:00 AM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Here is my 2 cents. I have an Injen full cold air intake, invidia HFC and Invidia Q300 cat back exhaust. It's completely eliminate the trombony kind of exhaust sound that all G suffered from and gives low rumble troaty sound, specially when you step on the trottle. I am very happy with it. I had this setup over 70000 miles and no leaks nor any trouble codes by now. Quality for the price, materials,welds, overall look is very legit,plus, fact that HFC and cat back build by the same company makes even better.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:17 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Oh I don't agree with that at all. I suspect the high majority (no pun) of people buying the Z1 catback will be bragging how they added 28 hp to their car. These are the same people who take manufacturer claims about a CAI, plus manufacturer claims about exhaust mods, and simply add them together as if they're counting jellybeans.

Does that make them unreasonable? I don't think so. Maybe you can call them willfully misinformed. Pretty sure Z1 will just call them "customers".
Agree with Roch, there are people out there that believe the 0-60 in 3 secs just because they are told to trust in a device/company is accurate.

Again, legitimate results + forcing the owner into a tune would bring sales numbers down. Welding a collector can take the fabricator much more time per unit and if you pay attention to the entire kit it's the most intricate part of the system.
This is how folks were able to copy the CAI design with cheaper parts. You design a collector and cast it. You can produce faster product this way and there is less issues in this area, prepping and back purging a collector might take the same time as welding 3/4 parts of the exhaust.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:29 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
I guess I just assume people are smarter than that. There are almost no NA cars that could gain that much from exhaust, if any.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:41 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by SupraOfDoom
I guess I just assume people are smarter than that. There are almost no NA cars that could gain that much from exhaust, if any.
You are getting old.
We're slowly forgetting this new generation is growing up with information thrown at them vs the ridiculous amount of obsessives research we had to do.
This is coming from companies with folks our same age that are just trying to compete but are dealing with a different public than we did.
It's impossible to resist the urge to simplify the specs of a product to get sales up.

Imagine the tricks this forum would have to pull on the marketing side if we were a paid company and we were employees.
It would force us to dial back on the help and keep things simple cycling all questions to be answered by our product.

Not easy for a small car company who wishes to grow in these times especially when knowledgeable folks start breaking or disecting these parts and documenting their finds.
rotarymike (01-18-2023)
Old 01-16-2023, 12:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Maybe they don't consider a software tune as something that isn't "stock" because it's not a physical thing.

Personally, I don't like being told up is down... feels like gaslighting to me. Particularly when their claim is right there on their website for the whole world to see:

The dyno results shown below were captured on a 2009 G37 Sedan that was completely stock prior to the installation of a Z1 Touring Exhaust. This car gained 28whp and 13wtq after installing the exhaust, an impressive number for an otherwise stock car!

Old 01-17-2023, 08:55 AM
BULL
Moderador

Maybe they don't consider a software tune as something that isn't "stock" because it's not a physical thing.

Personally, I don't like being told up is down... feels like gaslighting to me. Particularly when their claim is right there on their website for the whole world to see:
Could be grounds for a lawsuit in the future for sure. If Velveeta is being sued over their mac&cheese not being ready in the 3.5 minutes it says it's supposed to then this can fall under that as well.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
Could be grounds for a lawsuit in the future for sure. If Velveeta is being sued over their mac&cheese not being ready in the 3.5 minutes it says it's supposed to then this can fall under that as well.
Kraft makes $26 billion in annual sales, so a frivolous lawsuit is a potentially huge payout. Whereas Z1 is a tiny company, making a legal threat about marketing claims truly pointless.

It's not even apples & oranges... It's a tractor trailer full of apples vs. one sad little orange.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-17-2023 at 10:22 AM.
rotarymike (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 11:48 AM
BULL
Moderador

Kraft makes $26 billion in annual sales, so a frivolous lawsuit is a potentially huge payout. Whereas Z1 is a tiny company, making a legal threat about marketing claims truly pointless.

It's not even apples & oranges... It's a tractor trailer full of apples vs. one sad little orange.
Granted is a different scenario on this aspect but one this is a $1700 part which could fly on small claims or higher depending on how many people the plaintiff might accrue if it ever took off.
Doubt it would in reality, most realistic scenario is a viral call out from a member forces them to include it in the description. I dont have anything against Z1 however I dont like the misleading info that this and other of their parts include in their specs.
It makes it overall an issue for many, the tuner will most likely be blamed in the future because it's the biggest of variables, the car will be blamed as well and lastly it will question the knowledge for the intelligent ones when they counter Z1s claim.
At the very end it will end in the customer being at fault for simply existing, why shouldn't you believe the claims a legitimate company makes?

Sadly to wrap up my suspicions I gave them a call and part's rep stated the 28whp gain would be with tuning only.

So there's that...
Old 01-18-2023, 03:06 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
FWIW, if the standard 6MT sedan makes 285ish to the wheels, then the FI high flow cats and catback + long tube CAI got me to 299. With tuning, 315 or so? The after-tuned number also includes a G35 upper intake manifold, which does restrict top end power.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:50 PM
BULL
Moderador

This whole thing seems to be a "ask and we will tell you"