G37 Sedan

Key fob won't START or ON or ACC

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 05:39 PM
PandaX
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Key fob won't START or ON or ACC

I have a weird problem with my 2013 Sedan G37x AWD.
I cannot start the car with my key fobs (both 2 keys). It cannot even switch to ON or ACC either, and the steering is locked. The key fobs can unlock and lock the doors fine.
However, I can start the car by putting the key fob in the key slot on the left side under the Trunk Release button. I've been using like that way for a month or so.
I don't think the positive battery terminal fuse is bad because I can start the car like the above method, and my Viper, a remote starter fob, can start the car too.
Googling around and searching threads in this forum, I suspect the Electronic Steering Column Lock (ESCL) is bad. Do you have any good solutions that can fix my problem? I'm thinking of pulling the Steering Lock fuse off.

Last edited by PandaX; 11-21-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:52 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
It is not the ESCL (steering lock). If it was, the car would not start, period. Whether it be iKey, remote, or key slot, if the ESCL was faulty your car would be a brick.

Seems to me the iKey system is not recognizing the fob code. Keep in mind that the door LOCK/UNLOCK operation (RKE) is a separate function from the keyless start/ iKey operation. Same fob, but it transmits two different codes. When the fobs die and you insert them into the slot, the reader decodes the physical transponder chip inside the fob which is why the car starts as normal. Think of it as a "fail safe." Either the fobs are not transmitting the right code and needs to be reprogrammed, or there is a separate issue with the iKey system.

Are you 100% the batteries in the fobs are good? Are there any idiot lights on the cluster? Trouble codes?

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 11-21-2022 at 08:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (11-22-2022)