Lower Radiator Hose Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 05:00 AM
Tashlijan
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lower Radiator Hose Leak

2013 G37S Sedan (7MT).

Another Coolant Leak Issue but from an unusual spot. The other day I noticed the smell of a coolant after parking my car and decided to trace down the coolant passage to find a quite noticeable leak underneath the car. It turned out to be the lower radiator hose where it connects to the radiator (See Attached Pictures).

Unsure whether its the clamp or the hose itself the issue. But I tried wiggling the hose around but there was no wiggle room!!! Pretty confused… Not sure how to approach this issue. Also, the leak stops once the car is shut off and dries out overnight.

Anyone ever experienced this one?
Could this be a larger issue than just the clamp or the hose?
Should I just try replacing the clamp or the hose as well?
Is replacing the Lower Radiator Hose Easy and Accessible?

I assume if the issue isn’t any more serious than it looks like, I will have to first drain the coolant, then after the repair refill and burp the coolant system, please correct me if I’m wrong. Any input helps and will be appreciated!

Last edited by Tashlijan; 11-21-2022 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-21-2022, 05:05 AM
Tashlijan
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Description of the Issue

2013 G37S Sedan (7MT).
Another Coolant Leak Issue but from an unusual spot. The other day I noticed the smell of a coolant after parking my car and decided to trace down the coolant passage to find a quite noticeable leak underneath the car. It turned out to be the lower radiator hose where it connects to the radiator(See the attached pictures).

Unsure whether its the clamp or the hose itself the issue. But I tried wiggling the hose around but there was no wiggle room!!! Pretty confused… Not sure how to approach this issue. Also, the leak stops once the car is shut off and dries out overnight.

Anyone ever experienced this one?
Could this be a larger issue than just the clamp or the hose?
Should I just try replacing the clamp or the hose as well?
Is replacing the Lower Radiator Hose Easy and Accessible?

I assume if the issue isn’t any more serious than it looks like, I will have to first drain the coolant, then after the repair refill and burp the coolant system, please correct me if I’m wrong. Any input helps and will be appreciated!
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (12-02-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 11:11 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
The outside cover of the hose is separating from the hose on the top near the clamp. That hose is game over for sure. It needs to be replaced, at some point it will give out more completely. Being a spring clamp it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the clamp too. Unfortunately it's worth looking at all your rad hoses to see if others are in bad shape
Tashlijan (11-25-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 11:52 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Looks like clamp is on its way out. The hose doesnt appear to be OEM either.

I would replace both hose and clamp. Take a wire brush/ wire wheel/ scotchbrite to that radiator neck prior to installation and monitor for other leaks.

It wouldnt hurt to look into a new radiator cap. Though you want a strong cap that holds pressure. This cap needs to also vent/burp to the reservoir and if it's not doing so properly it will keep high pressures in the system.
Tashlijan (11-25-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Rocketman37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently had the same issue on my 2012 sedan. I believe the spring clamp lost it’s tension. On a cold engine, I moved the spring clamp forward on the hose to the end. I then put another clamp on the hose where the spring clamp had been. I used a standard radiator hose clamp, one that can opened to put around hose. Sometimes they are referred to as worm clamps. 1/2 inch band width fit perfect. So far no leaks. Good luck.