G37 Sedan

Coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 05:42 PM
KingJJT
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant issues

So I was driving when suddenly my car spiked up in temperature reaching all the way up in the gauge. I drove like that for maybe 10 minutes before coming to a stop. I checked for rips in the hoses but I didn't find any, I have to double check later because it was at night. I filled it up with water and I drove back just fine with the car staying at regular temperatures. So this leads me to belive I don't have any rips or if I do its really small since on the drive back my temperature gauge didn't move it was where it should be. So how did the coolant bust out? I'm guessing it bypassed the clamps on the hose due to the coolant being too hot? Can't be a gasket because there's no smoke coming from the exhaust and I'm not seeing any white gunk on the oil cap, well not just yet(hopefully not but that's just worst case scenario) I have the hose located just don't know what it is, might be radiator hose but it's on the top left on the passenger side. I have a 2013 G37 Automatic with 3 inch intakes, long tube headers, full exhaust, and tune. However after I got the tune I did notice that that same hose that caused all this was spewing out a little coolant due to it being too hot. I mean it's been a month after the tune so I'm not sure what caused it to get this bad. To be honest I don't know how to prevent this from happening again, E-Fans?
**UPDATE**
I found the leak its definitely here it was a pinhole leak when it gets hot enough it squirts right out. It's not the hose it's the coupling it has in side the two hoses. Anyone know the part or part number? Or any upgrades for it so it won't shoot through?

Last edited by KingJJT; 11-19-2022 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Updates that I found that I need to report
Old 11-20-2022, 08:32 AM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
It's very common issue with our cars this coupling cracked and caused coolant leaks. Just get at any hardware store 3/4 brass barbed coupling move the clamps and pull original coupling off and install the one you bought and you going to be fine for the life of your car. Don't ignore this because if you do this coupling would snap and cause all coolant to leak out.
Old 11-21-2022, 08:14 AM
Rik R.
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not sure how many miles your car has, but have you considered replacing your water pump? I don't know why it would spike and then drop again, but engine cooling is basically through the water pump and radiator, and I could see the water pump possibly sticking or starting to fail more than the radiator suddenly recovering. Any weird noises to report?

The hose leak doesn't sound like it would cause a big temperature spike, and it wouldn't heal either.

Just a thought... good luck!

Rick
Old 11-22-2022, 09:55 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 229 Posts
You will want to take a look at the coolant drain and fill process Eugene (bythebay) describes here:

Since the lower hose attaches to the thermostat with three bolts (one hidden under a connector), you should probably replace it and the upper hose as well, along with the 4 hose clamps.

Z1 Motorsports is my source for OEM parts and fluids. They are competitively priced and charge a fair price for shipping. Based on the emails I’ve received from them recently, they may also have a Black Friday sale going on now.

I need to perform the same service in the coming weeks, so keep us posted as to how everything comes along.