G37 Sedan

PIcked up a G37x recently. Lots of traction control issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2022, 10:41 AM
TheRob
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
PIcked up a G37x recently. Lots of traction control issues

So I scooped up a nice G37x. The first few days of driving it, I noticed the VFD/AWD/Slip lights would come on and then go off. Now they are on constantly. I brought it to Infiniti to get it on their diag,
and they said that it's the AWD module that has stored DT codes due to failure. They also said their machine couldn't communicate with the AWD Module. They quoted me $2200 to get that fixed.

I got a recommendation from a shop here, and the guy used to work for Infiniti, so I think I will take it to him. Has anyone dealt with this before? The day I took it to Infiniti, it rained here, and I was
sliding and spinning everywhere. While it's fun, I think I'd like to have some traction control, especially since I live in Florida, and it rains all Summer.

I would appreciate any feedback on this. I can't take it to the new shop until late next week or the week after. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2022, 11:22 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Unless you're able to pull codes from it you are stuck with manual diagnostics.

Usual issues with AWD are:
Incorrect tire/wheel size
Improper tire wear in one wheel
Bad wheel speed sensor
Brake fluid sensor

Start with those and see if ANY scanner will scan for AWD codes. Failure to communicate with the module could be missing power or ground. The dealer could have thrown a new unit only for it to do the same, meaning if it was missing power to the unit or something else the unit wont communicate.

Very important that these lights come on/off which means the unit does communicate, just when it wants to. Something tells me this is Inifiniti's way of blanket diagnosis. Since codes disappearing means the unit communicates and sees that all parameters are good until they're not.
The following users liked this post:
TheRob (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 03:00 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
had the same issues but on the g35. spend weeks trying to figure out and test everything. it ended up being the ABS computer. replaced for $50 from ebay.
The following users liked this post:
TheRob (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 04:27 PM
TheRob
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Unless you're able to pull codes from it you are stuck with manual diagnostics.

Usual issues with AWD are:
Incorrect tire/wheel size
Improper tire wear in one wheel
Bad wheel speed sensor
Brake fluid sensor

Start with those and see if ANY scanner will scan for AWD codes. Failure to communicate with the module could be missing power or ground. The dealer could have thrown a new unit only for it to do the same, meaning if it was missing power to the unit or something else the unit wont communicate.

Very important that these lights come on/off which means the unit does communicate, just when it wants to. Something tells me this is Inifiniti's way of blanket diagnosis. Since codes disappearing means the unit communicates and sees that all parameters are good until they're not.
My scanner didn't pick anything up. The guy at Infiniti said the codes we stored but in the same breath, and on my $2200 estimate to replace the AWD module, said that their computer couldn't communicate with the AWD Module. Hmm.
They said they checked the power and ground, and those were good. I agree with you about the blanket codes. They were eager to put new tires, fix a loose CV, and replace the AWD module all for the low low price of $4,000, give or take. Going to take it to a shop here where the guy only works on these and worked for Infiniti before. He was recommended by the Shop Supervisor at Infiniti and a friend of mine, so that's enough to get me to let him look at it.

We'll see if the codes decide to go away like there were doing the first few days. No rain in the forecast so I shouldn't be sliding everywhere but if I do, ah well.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:31 PM
TheRob
Registered Member

Originally Posted by si_driver
had the same issues but on the g35. spend weeks trying to figure out and test everything. it ended up being the ABS computer. replaced for $50 from ebay.
By chance, were you able to scan it, or have anyone scan it, and did it communicate? That's what has me. They said there are stored codes (DT) but then said their diag couldn't communicate. Unless they put a tester one in, which wouldn't show the errors on my module...
Sounds kind of weird. Out of my depth though. This car is slammed, with custom wheels, etc, so I'm sure it's going to set off codes, but this sucks sometimes.

Anyways, how did you come up with that you needed the ABS?

Thanks.