G37 Sedan

G37x AWD Track Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 02:11 PM
Ace31220
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37x AWD Track Help

Hey guys this is my first post on the forum, Im based out of long island NY and i own an 82k mile 2012 g37x sedan, I just completed my second track day (Englishtown Raceway Park) with the G and it performed beautifully, I spent most of my time passing passing cars including miatas, civics, gti's, and minis(i got stuck behind them in the corners and passed them in the straights). I know that most people are against it, and yes i am aware i should just buy a dedicated track car, but its a well setup car with great handling and good power. My first Track event i wayyyy overcooked the brakes and ended up boiling the fluid and causing the pads to smoke really bad. After a brake upgrade my Second track day I had this issue:
On my 5th (last) session of the day (sessions run for about 20 minutes and the car cooled down for abt 40 minutes in-between) the car began to flash the AWD light under acceleration and would get stuck in 4th or 3rd gear hold me at 4kish rpm and finally shift up to the next gear after a good long pause (not how the car normally shifts). The ambient temps were around 55F (coolant/oil temps were fine) outside which is cold for a track day. Im wondering what I can do to better cool the AWD system. I dont want to "shut" off AWD the ive tried rwd (pulling the fuse/relay) and the cornering speed is just better plus ill lose ABS and full Traction control. If you have any suggestions or questions feel free to leave them, just dont say something stupid like "why would you track a g37" it actually had some of the best times of the day especially for a car that is daily driven and no crazy mods. Also if you could recommend upgrades that would help the car please lmk (I have already ordered a fluid change for the diff transferase and front dif)

MODS:
BC-BR Coilovers
Akebono Front brake Caliper upgrade
Braided steel brake lines dot 5.1 fluid
Powerstop "Track Day" Pads w/ drilled+slotted rotors
Advanti Hybriss flow formed wheels 19x8.5
Pierlli P-zero 255/40/19 (didnt really have grip issues but i do want to go wider on wheels/tires)
Nismo 370z rear swaybar (pulled from a wreck)
Berk Highflow Cats
Fast Intentions Cat Back exhaust
Custom (done myself) 2.5" to 3" long tube intakes
Power steering cooler upgrade (just a larger autozone cooler)
Transmission cooler upgrade (this is just 2 hoses and the largest trans cooler autozone sells)
(AS a side note for this one when i went to upgrade the cooler the nipple from the rad was actually leaking and broke off as soon as i touched it so the cooler is not connected to the radiator it is on its own separate loop)
(i also ordered a front track bar)
(are paddle shifters a mod or just something base owners have to shell out for ??)

Old 11-16-2022, 08:38 AM
FrogmanKouki
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
Welcome Ace,

I don't have an answer for you but I hope to tag along in this discussion because, other than mileage sounds like we have very similar setups and I too just started doing track days and Autox events this past year.

2011 X Sedan 160k miles
Full Akebono brake upgrade (Stoptech Sport pads, 5.1 fluid, stainless lines)
KYB GR2 with Swift Springs
Z1 adjustable rear arms
Hotchkis Sway bars Front and Rear
G35 Forged Rays with 255/40/19 Firehawk Indy 500
No power mods for me as with the mileage of the car I don't want to push it.

Given the similarities, I'm really curious to see what the solution maybe, once again welcome to the forum!
Old 11-16-2022, 09:50 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Was this after you installed the trans cooler and oil change or before?

Either way you should get an OBD reader and monitor your AT temps when this issue is happening and try to get a solid AWD light if possible. Reason why is for diagnostic purposes.
Most of the times tracked X's issues lie with an overheated system or over time the system sees more incorrect wheels speed as you wear one tire more than the other it will cause differences in speed thus triggering the light.
Unfortunately that's where it ends on preventative maintenance on the AT trans. Fluid quality and temp management are the only things you can do so start with this monitoring.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:02 PM
zoe infinity
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
looking great !

Last edited by zoe infinity; 11-18-2022 at 05:17 AM.