G37 Sedan

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 07:49 PM
KingJJT
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Questions

So I have a 2013 G37 sedan and I want to run FBO and call it a day. Budget isn't a thing but I want to keep it on the low. Other than that I was going to ask for ideas on exhaust. Yes I've looked on the threads here but it's mainly set up configurations but not any feedback on how they sound. I know for sure I want ISR headers unless someone else has a recommendation on them. My main question is test pipes and cats and piping after them. I live in texas, I would love to pass inspection but if it doesn't im going to gut it and install some cams after.
Old 08-31-2022, 11:11 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by KingJJT
So I have a 2013 G37 sedan and I want to run FBO and call it a day. Budget isn't a thing but I want to keep it on the low. Other than that I was going to ask for ideas on exhaust. Yes I've looked on the threads here but it's mainly set up configurations but not any feedback on how they sound. I know for sure I want ISR headers unless someone else has a recommendation on them. My main question is test pipes and cats and piping after them. I live in texas, I would love to pass inspection but if it doesn't im going to gut it and install some cams after.
Cant do ISR longtubes and cats/test pipe. The long tubes replace the cats/test pipes which is what makes them loud. You could instal cats in the Ypipe and extend your O2 sensor wires and it should techincally work.

Almost everything will be loud and raspy. The idea is to find exhaust parts that come with multiple resonators to help quiet it down without affecting performace. Most resonators are perforated straight tubes surrounded by fiber, this is what quiets them however it is still a straight tube so dont expect much.

Since you have headers in mind the next thing will be muffler canisters. Looks and performance is always something many are after so when looking around try to look for clips of muffler installs only so you can have an idea.
I suggest you keep an open mind on your Y pipe and mid pipe, getting this wrong will take you to rasp city and many bolt on Y pipe and mid pipes do this.

In my opinion, some 6-8 inch high flow cats in the Y pipe followed by resonators in the Y or mid pipe would be your best bet. Measuring the system will let you know how many resonators you can squeeze in there. The idea is to quiet this resonance, resonators can help with this as well as thick exhaust piping. Cheap stainless is usually thin and though it can look good its another point of added resonance. Your average exhaust pipe material is actually great at helping with the noise though it doesnt come close to comparing to stainless looks.
Old 08-31-2022, 10:18 PM
KingJJT
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
Cant do ISR longtubes and cats/test pipe. The long tubes replace the cats/test pipes which is what makes them loud. You could instal cats in the Ypipe and extend your O2 sensor wires and it should techincally work.

Almost everything will be loud and raspy. The idea is to find exhaust parts that come with multiple resonators to help quiet it down without affecting performace. Most resonators are perforated straight tubes surrounded by fiber, this is what quiets them however it is still a straight tube so dont expect much.

Since you have headers in mind the next thing will be muffler canisters. Looks and performance is always something many are after so when looking around try to look for clips of muffler installs only so you can have an idea.
I suggest you keep an open mind on your Y pipe and mid pipe, getting this wrong will take you to rasp city and many bolt on Y pipe and mid pipes do this.

In my opinion, some 6-8 inch high flow cats in the Y pipe followed by resonators in the Y or mid pipe would be your best bet. Measuring the system will let you know how many resonators you can squeeze in there. The idea is to quiet this resonance, resonators can help with this as well as thick exhaust piping. Cheap stainless is usually thin and though it can look good its another point of added resonance. Your average exhaust pipe material is actually great at helping with the noise though it doesnt come close to comparing to stainless looks.
so yes with ISR headers I have already planned on getting the extended O2 sensors matching the ISR high flow cats. With that said I wanted to go with ISR HEADERS>ISR HIGH FLOW CATS>Y PIPE AND MUFFLERS. I also need to mention this car has a cat back exhaust I'm not sure from which brand. I probably won't have enough space to fit all that unless I do some cutting and welding correct? Or if I ditch the ISR cats and just run headers it'll just be bolt on right? I hate dealing with exhaust work it's so tedious but in the end it's worth it.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:42 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
I have AAM resonated high flow cats going into a 2.5" fast intentions cat-back with 18" resonators and it's the best sounding exhaust I've ever had on any of my modded cars. But if you get headers then you can't do the cat / test pipe option