G37 Sedan

Looking for splash guard bolts with extra wide washers

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2022, 09:28 AM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking for splash guard bolts with extra wide washers

Doing a small list of things to my car while I have access to my neighbor's car lift. One thing is to properly secure the splash guard. Only 10 bolts were holding it in. I thought I counted that there were 19 bolts, but I just saw another thread that showed that 3 of the 19 were actually the plastic push clips? I thought I saw threads in all the holes I looked at, but maybe I need to look again.

Anyway, I also noticed that I had a few bolts that have a very wide washer, like 24mm. I am guessing that these were not the original screws, but they are perfect now that a lot of the plastic holes in the splash guard have gotten wallowed out over the years. So that is what I am looking for...the bolts that have extra wide washers. Been searching for a bit now with no luck so hoping someone here might know what I am talking about.

Oh...and the plastic oil cover flap is long gone. I am thinking that I don't really need it, but if anyone has an easy and cheap solution, let me know. I found an entire replacement splash guard on ebay for $50, but I don't think it is worth that just to get the oil cover back. Plus, the one I saw had another hole next to the oil cover that mine doesn't, so I would be trading one hole for another.

Splash guard on Ebay
Old 08-18-2022, 10:44 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
How often you change your oil? If once or twice a year, it's a good idea to remove the shield entirely to inspect engine underside for leaks.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (08-20-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 12:29 PM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

Originally Posted by JSolo
How often you change your oil? If once or twice a year, it's a good idea to remove the shield entirely to inspect engine underside for leaks.
I do have it removed now and already inspected everything I could. More surface rust than I expected, which I plan on addressing after I finish with my initial list. I think I might now be someone who gets their new car undercoated immediately.

I don't think my OCD would allow me to remove it and leave it off. I get my oil changed at least twice a year, sometimes 3. But it doesn't seem like it is difficult to remove the splash guard if you keep the bolts in good working order, which I plan on doing now.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:51 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
My apologies. I didn't mean to remove it and leave it off, but remove it for the oil change process as opposed to open/folding to access the drain/filter.

On my stinger I have to remove it to do an oil change. Haven't seen any third party covers for the 2.5T. Needless to say, discovered a front axle bearing blowing it's load at the last oil change.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:17 AM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

I think I found what I am looking for. I just measured the bolt I have and searched that way instead of trying to go through Infiniti parts. Should be here Monday. Now I just have to get two broken bolts removed in preparation for these. I did not break them. Just what I found.

Bolts on Amazon Bolts on Amazon
Old 08-19-2022, 10:48 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Just keep in mind that black phosphate finish will rust too. I'd get stainless or cad plated if you can find them - shouldn't be much more.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:56 PM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Just keep in mind that black phosphate finish will rust too. I'd get stainless or cad plated if you can find them - shouldn't be much more.
Already ordered these. Now that my neighbor is letting me use his lift. (He is out of town most every weekend) I am hoping to be able to start doing my own oil changes and I will make sure to keep these in good working order. I am also planning to do the Krown process on my car, so hoping that helps too.

But I totally agree that stainless would have been ideal.
Old 08-20-2022, 03:05 PM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Here is the direct replacement
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-21-2022, 11:53 PM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

Originally Posted by abrecos
I found that, but I wanted the bolts with the wider washers because several of the holes in the guard are wallowed out and I want to make sure that the washer is grabbing on all sides.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:30 PM
Arthur Dent
Registered Member

I had no luck with removing the broken studs. Soaked them for days in penetrating oil. Drilled a hole in them and tried to use an easy out with no luck. I was able to get a small pair of vice grips on one of them but barely had any room to do anything really one they were on it except to wiggle it back and forth a few millimeters each way. Was hoping to break it loose but didn't. Taking the car to a guy I know at a body shop this week to remove to rusted bolts in the cross member. I'll see if he can do anything with these as well. I can put the guard back on without these, but it will annoy me.