G37 Sedan

bands for just a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2022, 04:35 PM
tripps6x
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bands for just a tune?

im literally so lost here because im asking around online how much a tune should cost. everyone says like 400-600$ i live in dallas texas and these companies are telling me 850-1200 just to get my car on a dyno and get a basic map? thats the "starting price" just for a tune. i know you pay for quality but i just feel like its kindof excessive considering im not driving a super or hyper car and i dont have any forced induction like just test pipes and intake does anyone know a shop or someone that street tunes that doesnt want my first born?
Old 05-20-2022, 10:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
"Just a tune" simplifies it too much. You can easily spend up to $1200 on this platform. There's the hardware (dongle and key), the software license itself, and the tuning service... which could be a series of remote maps, or an in-person dyno, which means added cost for the dynamometer.

AdminTuning is about 4 hours away from you in Houston. Get on their schedule, make a road trip.
The following users liked this post:
dkmura (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 11:02 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
OP doesn't mention why he needs a tune, but I agree with rochester on the oversimplification of pricing. Depending on what's been done with your G, there can be multiple pulls to get your tune dialed in. Dyno time takes time and money. My UpRev tune in Austin (for a Z33 racecar) took 42 pulls on both 100 octane and 92 octane fuels to get accurate fuel maps built.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:01 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tripps6x
im literally so lost here because im asking around online how much a tune should cost. everyone says like 400-600$ i live in dallas texas and these companies are telling me 850-1200 just to get my car on a dyno and get a basic map? thats the "starting price" just for a tune. i know you pay for quality but i just feel like its kindof excessive considering im not driving a super or hyper car and i dont have any forced induction like just test pipes and intake does anyone know a shop or someone that street tunes that doesnt want my first born?
Getting your car tuned from a cost effective perspective will require months if not years of research.

You need to decide between uprev basic/Up rev with ARC features or Ecutek basic/Ecutek Race Rom

You need to check these tuning places and write and compare what they offer and who will be the person actually doing the tuning.

The most cost efffective option is any of these tuning programs and a Etune on the street.

By going to a shop you skip having to buy the cable/BT dongle/Key however shops might charge you for the uses of these tool if they have them. A shop has the ability of charging you a one time tool use that only they will use (price hike to pay for tool)

Most of these shops use a selected Uprev/Ecutek tuner who they would send the info to and get the car tuned. This is something you can do yourself depending on your skills and tools you have.

The research comes in by determining which option fits you best.

A tuner will possibly not tune a car under $400 + equipment $400 + dyno time $200+/- Simple to rack a band just on this alone.

You could get your ECM flashed and run it with an online tune which will possibly save you $200 from the dyno ect however don't expect much savings in this department.

If you can invest in the tuning tools, this will save you tons in diagnostics in the future. By being able to log your vehicle you can send these logs to anyone and it can point you in the right direction fix wise.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2022, 12:00 PM
14Q60awdSPORT
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by tripps6x
A custom tune is typically around the $400-600 price yes,
but you also need a license for ecutek which is about $300
Then you need to decide between a dyno tune or E-tune.
a dyno tune will add about $300-400 for dyno time which now totals $1000-1300
an e-tune will require the dongle/bluetooth tuning kit which is about $350 which now totals $1050-1250

Z1 and Visconti are two places that offer a more off the shelf NA tuning package. For NA applications this will probably get you 80-90% of the max potential of a tune.
Visconti offers a $700-800 package
Z1's offering starts at $750 for a full OTS tuning package but has additonal options you can add on to further enhance the effective of the tune.

There are also other tuners/companies offering packages just need to search around, for example Limp mode tuning offers a custom E-tune tuning package for about $850 but I have never heard of them.

You can also look into uprev or HPtuners.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (06-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Lots of reasonable advice here, OP. When you get back online, grab a few drinks and a notepad, go here on the forum and read up for a few hours. There's a ton of information.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/ecu-tuning-dyno-data-409/

Or just take your car to a shop that does in-person dyno-tuning, one and done. Whatever you do, it's going to cost you $1000 give or take a couple hundred, because that's what it is. Doesn't matter that your daily driven G37 isn't a hypercar, doesn't matter that you're not boosted. As for whether it's worth it or not... that's subjective based on the person, the car, the tuner, etc. I totally get you when you say you're lost. There's a lot to learn. However, just because you're confused, that doesn't mean the market pricing for this service is unreasonable or out to get you. It just means you're confused.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:32 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
At most the best it will get will be a Spare Flashed Uprev ECM. Expect to Pay at least $600+
In conclusion: ECM programing is not for the cheap and cannot be worked around.

This is why you see kids or adults in this area, Kids rent free have this money or takes up to adulting to be have to save this money for this.
Old 05-25-2022, 11:54 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts
Reach out to Martin (RS Enthalpy). His prices are very competitive.

His in person dyno are about $800. He does remote tunes also.