G37 Sedan

Too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 08:47 PM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much oil?

I take my Infiniti to a Nissan dealership for the oil change as the closest Infiniti dealer is 4 hours round trip away.

Recently they ran me on non synthetic rather than mobile 1 and on my last change I find that when the car sits for 30 minutes the oil level looks like the below (super high). They are assuring me not engine damage but I find I have a 15% loss of power and I feel like my seals might have issues down the road.

2013 g37xs sedan parked in a flat garage. I feel like this is way too much oil. Nissan is telling me that the level is to be checked 5-10 minutes after running which shows a normal level. But this shows way more after 30 minutes. Maybe it’s the pooling of oil at the dipstick?

thoughts? Anyone else can check and let me know what theirs looks like 30 to 1 hour later?

thanks

Old 05-06-2022, 10:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
Pretty sure you check for accurate oil levels when cold. An hour after running should be fine.

That's way too much oil. Change it and install something like a Fumoto drain valve, so that not only is it easier to drain, but you can easily drain just a little bit in case you overfill, instead of draining it all.
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (05-09-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 12:42 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Pretty sure you check for accurate oil levels when cold. An hour after running should be fine.

That's way too much oil. Change it and install something like a Fumoto drain valve, so that not only is it easier to drain, but you can easily drain just a little bit in case you overfill, instead of draining it all.

Even on a stone cold engine the oil is that level. This Nissan dealership has been really bad. I’m going to call the Infiniti dealership and confirm this oil level as I’m assuming they do more work on vq37 series motors. Nissan here might sell 3 3.7s a year and if even that. Smh
Old 05-07-2022, 01:13 AM
Birdie
Registered Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Starbuck393
Even on a stone cold engine the oil is that level. This Nissan dealership has been really bad. I’m going to call the Infiniti dealership and confirm this oil level as I’m assuming they do more work on vq37 series motors. Nissan here might sell 3 3.7s a year and if even that. Smh
I wonder if they are trying to ruin your engine to get you into something newer.i wonder how much you are over 1 to 2 quarts possibly. I would be worried about your seals as well. I'm sure your oil pressure is really high when you are first starting the engine. Not to mention how much abuse the oil is taking from the crankshaft being soak in it.good way to make some foam.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:06 AM
Rik R.
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
There is a lot of FUD on this thread. Check your manual! You can go to https://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/de...spx?dept_id=65 and download it yourself.

For my 2009, on page 8-11, it clearly states:

Turn the engine off and wait more than 15
minutes. Check the oil level with the
dipstick. Add engine oil if necessary.

I would suggest you put it in the middle of the cross-hatched range at 15 minutes, as oil will continue to pool lower in the engine the longer it sits.. If it is mid-range at 15 minutes, it may be mid to top when it sits longer.

You haven't blown any seals if your oil level is high... just put a pan under your drain plug, loosen it, and let some oil go into the drain pan. Then thread the plug back in and re-check your dipstick again.

Good luck,

Rick
Old 05-07-2022, 10:35 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Birdie
I wonder if they are trying to ruin your engine to get you into something newer.i wonder how much you are over 1 to 2 quarts possibly. I would be worried about your seals as well. I'm sure your oil pressure is really high when you are first starting the engine. Not to mention how much abuse the oil is taking from the crankshaft being soak in it.good way to make some foam.
Well too bad for them this is the last Nissan infiniti I purchase. I wanted a good part time awd for a daily and got it. But the customer service is garbage. The local Nissan charges me more for parts and service than infiniti would. SMH Other then that my next upgrade as a daily will most likely be to an old mans LS500. Or the new sequoia damn!!!
Old 05-07-2022, 12:16 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
There is no shortage of crappy customer service at dealerships across ALL brands. Some are good, most are abhorrent. It is not the cars fault some dumbass tech was not paying attention.

I get it. You paid for a service and you expect that service to be completed properly and professionally. Could've been worse- the tech could have forgotten to put any oil in the car (BMW dealer did that once to a neighbor). Crap happens.

Either way it is not the end of the world. Thankfully you caught the issue early before any serious damage could occur. Drain some oil off and go on about your business. In the future, either do the oil change yourself (ridiculously easy) or find a more reputable shop.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-07-2022 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 01:37 PM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
There is no shortage of crappy customer service at dealerships across ALL brands. Some are good, most are abhorrent. It is not the cars fault some dumbass tech was not paying attention.

I get it. You paid for a service and you expect that service to be completed properly and professionally. Could've been worse- the tech could have forgotten to put any oil in the car (BMW dealer did that once to a neighbor). Crap happens.

Either way it is not the end of the world. Thankfully you caught the issue early before any serious damage could occur. Drain some oil off and go on about your business. In the future, either do the oil change yourself (ridiculously easy) or find a more reputable shop.
Oh she drove just over 5k KMs before seeing this. She needs an oil change, I was just on a road trip where It was getting redlined a lot and thought hey I will check it just to incase.... smh but I think ill be talking to the GM and taking my business elsewhere.

Last edited by Starbuck393; 05-07-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:47 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
I've always checked my oil cold --- car sitting over night. So long as the level was about 1/8" below the full mark, I was satisfied. Why not at full? Because oil expands when it heats up. Doing the check after engine fully warmed up then off for ~15 min, the level would be right at the top full mark.

What's even more shocking in the OP's pic is the color of the oil. Unless it went in that color, new oil is usually a very light yellow/honey color. Usually difficult to even see. Is that pic after an oil change?
Old 05-10-2022, 03:37 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I've always checked my oil cold --- car sitting over night. So long as the level was about 1/8" below the full mark, I was satisfied. Why not at full? Because oil expands when it heats up. Doing the check after engine fully warmed up then off for ~15 min, the level would be right at the top full mark.

What's even more shocking in the OP's pic is the color of the oil. Unless it went in that color, new oil is usually a very light yellow/honey color. Usually difficult to even see. Is that pic after an oil change?
Read above cars done over 5k kms
Old 05-10-2022, 08:47 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Best thing you could do is to take it upon yourself to drain it, collect it, do your best a measuring.
The dealer will fight it saying, filter might have drained, etc however oil is to checked cold.
It's the only way to have a baseline, as quickly as these cars heat up and with the amount of oil requiring hydraulic components they have, every second the car is on can change the oil level drastically.
You should also see if your engine consumes oils as if it does it's not a bad idea to keep a bit more in the crank case.

I'm not timid in my daily commutes either which is why I try to run a bit extra.

On another note, you should pay attention to the clarity of the oil 2 weeks post oil change. The oil looks pretty dark. If this oil looks like this after 2 weeks I suspect this engine might have some deposits (long oil change intervals in the past)
This could also be due to fuel in your oil from much acceleration, unburnt fuel mixes with oil (completely normal) upon spirited drives and turns into a cleaner removing deposits as it passes through the engine. What happens with oil dilution is that its state of cleaning vs state of sludging is close to each other.

Too much spirited driving with long intervals will turn those deposits into carbon.

When I did my gallery gaskets my engine was a bit orangey inside from this as well. I took all of the covers off and washed all of these deposits off. My oil stays clearer between intervals, I do notice quality of the oil breaks down quite a bit more on months that I'm constantly on the pedal.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally Posted by Starbuck393
Read above cars done over 5k kms
Now I'm really confused. Which car has over 5k, yours or your wife's? If your wife's what does that have to do with _your_ oil level?

Anyway, if you're at all mechanically inclined, doing an oil change on this car is child's play. Just a matter of removing the lower engine cover. Everything fully accessible. Do get new nissan crush washers are they're a strange compressing copper variety. I used to get those 5 qt jugs. Just enough.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:03 AM
Starbuck393
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Now I'm really confused. Which car has over 5k, yours or your wife's? If your wife's what does that have to do with _your_ oil level?

Anyway, if you're at all mechanically inclined, doing an oil change on this car is child's play. Just a matter of removing the lower engine cover. Everything fully accessible. Do get new nissan crush washers are they're a strange compressing copper variety. I used to get those 5 qt jugs. Just enough.
the car “she” drove just over 5 thousand kms on a spirited drives.

I know that the oil changes are super easy but don’t have the time or facilities to get those done anymore. Would think Nissan is more than capable turns out they are the complete opposite.
Old 05-12-2022, 10:02 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
And this is why I do as much as I can on my cars as I can. If I F’ it up, I can only blame myself