G37 Sedan

Dead steering wheel up/down adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 01:08 PM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dead steering wheel up/down adjustment

My daughter lives fives hours away and she informed me that the up/down adjustment of the steering wheel just stopped working. According to her there is no sound whatsoever when she moves the ****. That would probably rule out any gear issues, I think. In/out adjustment does still work, so I guess it's not just a matter of a fuse either as I'd suspect the adjustments don't have separate fuses. Her battery died a few weeks ago and had it replaced, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it and needing a reset of some kind or something like that?

I've seen people reporting failures, but really haven't seen any DIY or fixes for it, but I guess it would be safe to assume that the motor has failed and is due for replacement. Has anybody in here replaced the motor? If so, how big of a job was it? I'd assume it's a PITA due to the location on the underside of the column, but is there something else to be aware of? Guess I'll get another motor and try swapping it next time she comes to visit.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:44 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
This isn't a regular G37 failure that's ever been reported. I'd suspect another type of electrical issue before starting to replace the motor.
Old 03-25-2022, 09:03 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,328 Likes on 1,075 Posts
This issue has been reported before. Just search the web for "Nissan Tilt Telescopic Recall" and you will see that many Nissan/Infiniti models have this issue albeit for different causes. It is my belief that this issue affects the sedans more- or those models that use the "Entry/Exit" feature as these tiny motors get used each and every time the car is used. Coupes and 'Verts do not have this feature and thus failures have not been a issue. But then, what do I know...

OP, you may want to check this thread as it will provide a little info on the actual column itself. Assuming you have a multimeter, you can easily check the switch to make sure it is working properly. Should you need to replace the motor (or both), there are a few on eBay for about $35 each (used). A quick search just showed a pair of motors from a '09 Coupe for $35 w/free shipping (eBay).

The biggest challenge will be lack of space. I found this Nissan Technical Bulletin for the Murano (pdf attached to post) which is a "how-to" with several pictures. While not 100% for the G37, the procedure will be similar as Nissan, technically, uses most of the same parts across both lines.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NTB ST09-004.pdf (400.8 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 03-25-2022 at 10:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tsuintx (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 11:42 AM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Thanks, @ILM-NC G37S. I saw that thread earlier while doing searches. Good info there. Haven't seen that Nissan TSB, but that definitely gives nice overview of what needs to be disassembled in case I end up replacing the motor. Used motors do seem to be pretty cheap on Ebay.

However, it looks like I don't have to do it at least not yet as the report from the location is that it's working again. The motor isn't making any unusual noises and such, so I'm suspecting the switch might be the culprit here, but who knows. Since it is working now, we're in a "wait-and-see" mode right now before doing anything else. So far so good.
Old 03-29-2022, 10:35 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
One or both motors are shot. I had the same failure in the extending motor.

Took it out and the brushes were dead. They seem to be similar to window motor brushes. If you luck out you can replace these with other used ones?

I bought 2 used ones and ended up making 2 good motors out of 4 motors.

Good luck.

Ps. It will be a bit tough but you can remove both motors without taking out the column.
The following users liked this post:
tsuintx (03-29-2022)
Old 02-12-2023, 07:06 AM
jroptop
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any update as far as having success in fixing this issue? switch? Motors?
Old 02-13-2023, 09:46 AM
tsuintx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jroptop
Any update as far as having success in fixing this issue? switch? Motors?
Seems that the problem cleared itself out. No issues that I have been made aware of since then. It's my daughter's car and she lives 2 hours away, so I only see the car occasionally. But she also hasn't reported anything.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:34 AM
Mega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So was it any switch or motor

Originally Posted by tsuintx
Seems that the problem cleared itself out. No issues that I have been made aware of since then. It's my daughter's car and she lives 2 hours away, so I only see the car occasionally. But she also hasn't reported anything.

so it just clear itself automatically or you changed something?? Trying to understand