G37 Sedan

G37 is leaking coolant once again. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 03:53 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
G37 is leaking coolant once again. Any thoughts?

Good evening everyone. I am back once again because my 2013 G37 is leaking coolant again. I noticed it a few hours ago when I started the car. I heard a swishing sound in the engine, and while backing up I saw a puddle. I quickly parked the car, and upon further inspection I saw a puddle of coolant. The hoses and water pump was replaced barely a year ago in an Infiniti dealership, and I drove about 5000 miles after the repair. I did notice that the coolant is leaking in the passenger side and I can't really see where it is leaking from in the engine. Thank you all once again and hello to everyone who participated in my previous threads.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:51 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Heater hose connector? Passenger side rear of engine. VERY common failure for these cars.
DIY Heater Hose Connector
Easy fix but a pain to get adequate access.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (01-30-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 01:21 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Heater hose connector? Passenger side rear of engine. VERY common failure for these cars.
DIY Heater Hose Connector
Easy fix but a pain to get adequate access.
Thanks for responding. I will look into it. I am just frustrated that the coolant leak seems to be a reoccurring issue of my car considering I spent a few thousands just a few months ago. I will definitely have to bring it in a local mechanic if that is the case. The closest Infiniti dealer is a few hundred miles away lol.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:31 PM
juster
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by General Grim
Good evening everyone. I am back once again because my 2013 G37 is leaking coolant again. I noticed it a few hours ago when I started the car. I heard a swishing sound in the engine, and while backing up I saw a puddle. I quickly parked the car, and upon further inspection I saw a puddle of coolant. The hoses and water pump was replaced barely a year ago in an Infiniti dealership, and I drove about 5000 miles after the repair. I did notice that the coolant is leaking in the passenger side and I can't really see where it is leaking from in the engine. Thank you all once again and hello to everyone who participated in my previous threads.
You can use water to find the leak if you are running low on coolant. Fill up radiator, turn on vehicle, watch. My guess is the plastic connector by the firewall on the passenger side.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...upler-fix.html
abrecos (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 01:30 AM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Yup like what others have said, most likely it's the heater hose connector. The plastic connector becomes a ticking bomb once your car reaches certain miles. Mine started leaking around 75 to 80K miles. It's best to get it replaced around 60K with a metal one, so you won't have to worry about it in the future.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:32 AM
abrecos
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Coolant leak

It's very high probability that is heater core coupling,like guys mentioned broken and is located on passenger side of the firewall behind the engine. You don't need to involve the dealer in this unless you want to throw some serious money. Just get yourself hose spring clamps removal tool

OTC 4525 Drake Off Road Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers it's available on Amazon.com and get 3/4 stainless or brass barb coupler in any hardware store it's around 5-6 dollars, pull the clamps and disconnect the hoses from each side of coupler use needle nose players if coupler broken in the half then install your new coupler put the clamps on and call a day.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:41 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

I took the car in this morning and the dealer did tell me a bunch of hoses deteriorated and the main cause of the leak. Had them replace all the hoses, and I am hoping this solution will last me a good while. It does make sense because my car is already at 90k miles and is daily driven in all conditions. Thank you all once again for helping me out! Drive safe!
Old 01-31-2022, 03:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by General Grim
... the dealer did tell me a bunch of hoses deteriorated and the main cause of the leak. Had them replace all the hoses...
What hoses and did they replace the plastic hose coupling? This coupling is a known issue for these cars and if not addressed it will fail and leave you potentially stranded. If they installed new hoses but used the same old plastic connector, you may still have a ticking time bomb on your hands...

It is a shame Nissan never updated this part to a metal piece...

A little clarification may be in order...

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 01-31-2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 06:51 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree with ILM-NC G37S. When there's coolant leaks on these cars, it's usually that cheap plastic connector, or the stock tension clamps getting weak. Hoses are usually not the problem.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:36 PM
General Grim
Registered Member

My mechanic called me today and told me they had to keep the car overnight because one of the hoses did not fit right. I also called him before hand to follow up on the car and I told him to use metal for all couplings and the best materials for whatever will be replaced. He told me he would do that and would have the bill tomorrow. Hopefully this will make the car more reliable in the long run lol.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:04 AM
General Grim
Registered Member

I got the car back this afternoon and it is running like top so far. I was a bit surprised though because I had a pretty hefty bill. Total came out to about $600. The service advisor and the paperwork says that they replaced radiator hoses, heater hoses, clamps, and a few other components that I don't remember. I am a bit skeptical because my car's radiator hoses was changed 10k miles ago. I am no expert, but I am sure the hoses would last longer than that. I am hoping the car will be all good now for quite a while. I already spent a few grand on repairs and maintenance.
Birdie (02-02-2022)