G37 Sedan

Moving cross country in my G, options/ thoughts for more cargo space?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:10 AM
GDriveAlot
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving cross country in my G, options/ thoughts for more cargo space?

Hey all I am moving from PA to Colorado. I will be driving my G down and hopefully able to fit what I need in the car. Anyone have ideas/suggestions for more cargo space? I saw on Amazon these roof cargo bags, maybe that would be good. Also thinking about buying some roof racks and attaching a carrier up top.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
If you're genuinely thinking of installing roof racks, then as a more flexible alternative consider spending that money on a trailer hitch, then rent a small trailer. U-Haul also installs hitches, and for a pretty reasonable cost too.
The following users liked this post:
GDriveAlot (01-29-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 11:29 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Roof bag will be the best thing in my opinion. We got one for a trip of 7 people to NC and it performed wonderfully.
Afterwards it can be folded and will be the only space saving option for once you're done.
I can also picture how it will be one of the few options that will keep it's value and it will be easy to re sell once you're done.

I've never like the roof rack look on the G and the hitch option puts too much weight in the back.

Use the bag for clothes and light items and leave the inside for heavier/sharper items.
GDriveAlot (01-29-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 12:38 PM
ChefMatt
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GDriveAlot
Hey all I am moving from PA to Colorado. I will be driving my G down and hopefully able to fit what I need in the car. Anyone have ideas/suggestions for more cargo space? I saw on Amazon these roof cargo bags, maybe that would be good. Also thinking about buying some roof racks and attaching a carrier up top.
I bought an Amazon roof rack for my 1st sedan, would put my 65# kayak on top, no problems ever. Loud wind noise on the highway, but not unbearable. Rack caused no issues with deforming or marring of roof.

GDriveAlot (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 09:37 AM
GDriveAlot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
If you're genuinely thinking of installing roof racks, then as a more flexible alternative consider spending that money on a trailer hitch, then rent a small trailer. U-Haul also installs hitches, and for a pretty reasonable cost too.
I have thought about that, but from my understanding to install a hitch on the G some cutting of the rear bumper is required.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:40 AM
GDriveAlot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Roof bag will be the best thing in my opinion. We got one for a trip of 7 people to NC and it performed wonderfully.
Afterwards it can be folded and will be the only space saving option for once you're done.
I can also picture how it will be one of the few options that will keep it's value and it will be easy to re sell once you're done.

I've never like the roof rack look on the G and the hitch option puts too much weight in the back.

Use the bag for clothes and light items and leave the inside for heavier/sharper items.
How much did the bag affect mpg? On Amazon I see 15 cu ft roof top bags, I’m wondering if those are too big to fit on the small roof of our Gs?
Old 01-31-2022, 09:47 AM
PattyP
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got a Yakima roof rack I use occasionally. My jeep has a basket that I will move over if I need as well. I'll loose 1-2mpg with it empty, 3-4 with the bikes up there. I believe the rack is rated for 100 lb-ish. Can't say I would recommend a hitch, but I have seem people put them on.

BloodLine_Prez (04-11-2022)