G37 Sedan

10 Years and Counting

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
@Absinthe I was thinking about doing a rear seat delete in mine. I honestly don’t ever want anyone in my back seat so deleting it at least gives me the “it’s only two seater” excuse.

I would cut the template for the pass through and tack on to a subwoofer box and have it facing in. Kinda like a reverse zenclosure box (I have that already). That would close it off and look like it has a reason to be closed off. Next I would just cut the seat template and actually go right over the butt portion. You’ll hear your fuel system crazy loud without the noise dampening the foam seat gives you. I may go all out on my car and do bags, if I do, that’s the perfect spot for the compressor and tanks.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:16 PM
dblbogey7
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought my 2011 new. 130,000. Nothing but routine maintenance and never a problem. We just spent $2000 on shocks, brakes, struts, etc. I expect to keep it now for 3 more trouble free years. It's still a beautiful car.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 10:30 AM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by sobeIPL
@Absinthe I was thinking about doing a rear seat delete in mine. I honestly don’t ever want anyone in my back seat so deleting it at least gives me the “it’s only two seater” excuse.

I would cut the template for the pass through and tack on to a subwoofer box and have it facing in. Kinda like a reverse zenclosure box (I have that already). That would close it off and look like it has a reason to be closed off. Next I would just cut the seat template and actually go right over the butt portion. You’ll hear your fuel system crazy loud without the noise dampening the foam seat gives you. I may go all out on my car and do bags, if I do, that’s the perfect spot for the compressor and tanks.
Guess I'm lucky in one respect, all my friends and family understand that most if not all the cars I've owned have a few things in common:
  1. They have two doors
  2. There black
  3. I only carry one extra person
So the excuse if already in place

I toyed with the idea of creating a rear seat delete for quite a while. As you said the rear seat does cut down on fuel system and road noise coming through the rear chassis, otherwise Id run with the rear seat folded down all the time. Alas, that was over a decade ago and my fabrication skills have slowed (and grayed) a bit since then and there are many other projects calling my name these days so I may not get around to it

.......but then again
Old 12-08-2021, 06:19 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
@Absinthe I’ll let you know if I ever tackle the project and if do, I’ll document it on my thread so you can see if you want to try and tackle it.
RA081224 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 10:19 AM
yenhsravkeviv
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up my '09 G37S coupe off lease in '12.....will be 10 years in July for me. It's still a pretty solid car, having kept up on maintenance items on it (brakes, shocks, tires) and had a waterpump go out....still driving strong with ~131k on it and no plans to replace anytime soon

Last edited by yenhsravkeviv; 12-09-2021 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:58 AM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
My '09 G37xS Platinum sedan has turned 12 years and 60K. It's modded slightly and has been easy to use and maintain over the years. Not looking forward to having to change the ATF in the 7-speed 'box, but that's the only big task ahead. As an automotive journalist, I drive some of the newer cars in this class on a regular basis and don't find that many features or design advancements that eclipse my Infiniti. I sure don't want to pay the (increasingly high) premium to purchase a new car, so the G37xS is staying for the immediate future!
Old 12-09-2021, 11:36 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
@Absinthe I’ll let you know if I ever tackle the project and if do, I’ll document it on my thread so you can see if you want to try and tackle it.
Thanks! Following is always less stressful than leading
Old 12-09-2021, 11:40 AM
RA081224
Banned

Originally Posted by yenhsravkeviv
I picked up my '09 G37S coupe off lease in '12.....will be 10 years in July for me. It's still a pretty solid car, having kept up on maintenance items on it (brakes, shocks, tires) and had a waterpump go out....still driving strong with ~131k on it and no plans to replace anytime soon
Out of curiosity, did you install the replacement water pump or did you have it installed? If you paid to have it installed, would you mind saying the ballpark price? The older my 08 gets, the more my concern over a blown oil galley gasket gets and I know I don't have the time/space to do it myself. Replacing the water pump puts you about 75% the way to the oil gallery
Old 12-09-2021, 11:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
^^^
Keep the thread on-topic, please.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:49 PM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 243 Likes on 167 Posts
I had my first car (mk3 supra) for 17 years but sadly had to part with it in 2019. I do know where to get it back though.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:21 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Have you ever let someone else drive your car while you're in the back seat? Seems almost a silly question, but for most of us I'm guessing we're the only ones who drive our car. And when someone else drives, it's pretty unlikely you'd sit in the back seat. But seriously, do it some time. It's almost a surreal experience, and gives you a perspective on the car that's a whole lot different than you're used to.

And when you do, you'll be shocked to discover how spacious it is back there. Whether there's actually a whole lot of space or not, it feels like there is.

Your kids will be fine, BULL. (Humongous, huh? LOL)
This reminds me when I bought my 2012 G37S 6MT sedan with 36,000 miles from Jsolo 2.5 years ago, he told me something like "Congratulations, you'll be the first ones to have anyone sit in the back seat!" Haha. And I can still only count on one hand the times I've had a rear passenger. So pristine! It's got 44,xxx miles on it currently. But yeah, one of the things I was looking for when I bought the sedan was to have a comfortable enough backseat that I can sit back there and I'm 6'1". Future-proofing for kids / teenagers.

I have put off modding the G for nearly a year now, except for that twin-loop muffler experiment I went through. I still have an extremely annoying exhaust leak that I just don't trust any local shops to fix at this point. It's really frustrating. I'm not in a very happy place with the G just because it makes it sound so cheesy and cheap. Funny how one thing can ruin the experience. It's supposed to be the sleeper, OEM+ style look, refined, mature-ish. That farty-sounding exhaust leak just destroys that whole image.

I've said this before, but I have a crypto investment that I'm waiting on to take off. If / when that happens, I plan on taking about a $10,000-12,000 chunk to finalize the car and get everything done. The plan is to drop off the car at z1, and have the following things done:

New spark plugs
2-piece rotors with new pads
4.08 FD, possibly new bushings and a diff brace for sure
Z Speed lightweight flywheel, stage 2 clutch, CMAK
Fast Intentions 2.5" CBE with 18" resonators
Z1 headers and I'm going to pay them to adapt my current AAM RHFC flanges to work with the headers instead of getting DE HFC's
Depending on how much that's all gonna cost, possibly consider stage 2 cams
Re-tune for 93 and maybe E85 (it's finally arrived in my area)

Along with my current mods, I'm hoping to be at around 340-360whp when it's all said and done, with a much nimbler drivetrain and less tanky feel, lightfooted with the new rotors and my already lightweight 18lb wheels, refined / mature resonated exhaust note but still meaty.

A man can dream.

As far as future car plans, I do not expect to sell the G for at LEAST 5-10 years. With that much power and modifications, I expect to always find pleasure in driving it and never feel the need for anything else at this stage of my life. I'm not interested in electric vehicles nor anything with an automatic, I'll leave that for my wife's car. So the future options are very slim. The 2023 Acura Integra prototype has severely discouraged me. That's about the only thing that could have possibly interested me for a while.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:56 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I reached 5 years right around Thanksgiving. Bought the car used with 158k November 22, 2016. I had the back coolant parts replaced, had the rear diff fluid and rear diff bushings replaced (didn't need it). Car has 212k on it. I have Tein Flex Z suspension sitting in my room. I need to get to that sometime. Other than that, basic maintenance. Oil, Coolant, Gas, Tires and Front Brakes. I was looking at Z1, damn they have so many parts then they used to, even got CARB approval. If that had happened years ago, I probably would have gone for one of their cold air kits. I just have drop in filters. I have never been in hard rain with her, I tend to avoid such things.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:49 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
@backman_66

Where's the exhaust leaking from?
Old 12-09-2021, 06:56 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
@backman_66

Where's the exhaust leaking from?
Pretty sure it's the flange after the cats, I've tried unbolting and retightening everything with a new metallic gasket. And there's also a spot where I had a welder fix the transition from 2.5" cats to 2.25" piping, and that transition makes like a buzzing kinda noise. Hard to explain.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:01 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
My 2011 G37 coupe just hit 10 yrs and 112k miles. Still love driving it and I’d love a newer Q60 coupe with red interior. But the price of used Q60s is too high for my liking.

Hard to think about giving up my G for something of lesser features. Next car has to be as good or better. But I enjoy working on this car and it’s technology.
Rochester (12-10-2021)

Quick Reply: 10 Years and Counting