G37 Sedan

Noise After Hitting Bump

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 03:25 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Noise After Hitting Bump

Okay so I have a weird and likely self-caused issue with my car, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Last night I had to make an evasive maneuver to prevent someone from hitting me, and in the process I bottomed out pulling into a business's driveway with too much speed (another driver was driving the wrong way in my lane to pass traffic, no other alternative and my kids were in the car). Have to love idiot drivers. After that, my car sounded a lot louder, but not in the way that a typical exhaust leak will have, almost as if induction noise in the cabin was louder or if a door wasn't shut all the way and you were hearing more exterior noise in the cabin. Yes, all of the doors and windows are shut completely, nothing is shifted, etc.

I got the car in the air today and confirmed with it running that there are no exhaust leaks, no cracked welds, and my intakes are all still attached and tight (Fast Intentions catback, Z1 HFC's, Takeda intakes modified with Z1 individual filters). It literally sounds as if sound deadening material was removed from the cabin, but with there being no leaks all the way from the header down, I'm a bit stumped as to what else might cause that, because the exhaust isn't leaking at any point from the manifolds down. Also, the only visible section on the car that looks like it was scraped is the bracket under the midpipe near the driveshaft. No other indications of scraping near anything mechanical. Any ideas what else could cause this?

Also, I'm getting a rattling noise now from the passenger wheel side when rolling under 20 MPH. I couldn't reproduce it with the car in the air, but all of the control arms are tight, sway bar end lights and mounts are tight, tie rods are solid and no play at the ball joints. Wheel bearings have no play in them and are quiet, brakes aren't rubbing nor is the heat shield, and the washer fluid tank is secured in the engine bay. I can't hear the noise if the car isn't moving, so it's something rotational but I'm not sure what to check next after ruling out suspension and the wheel bearings.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:40 AM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Mystery solved. Still was trying to track the noise down last night and it just sounded like it was near the Bank 1 cat. I pulled off the front portion of the X pipe and hello hollow cat. No flame map on the car, but the catalyst material said it was time to head out. Drivers side is fine, so I guess I'll be contacting Z1 to see if I can get just a passenger HFC. Otherwise I guess it's time for some art pipe alternatives. At least the Fast Intentions is fine!
Old 10-29-2021, 09:44 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
The jolt to the car dislodged the catalyst material, right? So where did it go?

Last edited by Rochester; 11-04-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:36 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Yep I'm thinking so!

It wound up being stuck just before the resonator in the midpipe almost completely intact. I was able to pull it all out and verified that none was in the resonators or mufflers with my inspection camera. That was my first worry after seeing the hollowed cat was that it was going to screw up my mufflers, but the car gods watched over those beautiful pieces of Sebring racing glory!
Old 11-04-2021, 07:24 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jfridge92
Okay so I have a weird and likely self-caused issue with my car, and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Last night I had to make an evasive maneuver to prevent someone from hitting me, and in the process I bottomed out pulling into a business's driveway with too much speed (another driver was driving the wrong way in my lane to pass traffic, no other alternative and my kids were in the car). Have to love idiot drivers. After that, my car sounded a lot louder, but not in the way that a typical exhaust leak will have, almost as if induction noise in the cabin was louder or if a door wasn't shut all the way and you were hearing more exterior noise in the cabin. Yes, all of the doors and windows are shut completely, nothing is shifted, etc.

I got the car in the air today and confirmed with it running that there are no exhaust leaks, no cracked welds, and my intakes are all still attached and tight (Fast Intentions catback, Z1 HFC's, Takeda intakes modified with Z1 individual filters). It literally sounds as if sound deadening material was removed from the cabin, but with there being no leaks all the way from the header down, I'm a bit stumped as to what else might cause that, because the exhaust isn't leaking at any point from the manifolds down. Also, the only visible section on the car that looks like it was scraped is the bracket under the midpipe near the driveshaft. No other indications of scraping near anything mechanical. Any ideas what else could cause this?

Also, I'm getting a rattling noise now from the passenger wheel side when rolling under 20 MPH. I couldn't reproduce it with the car in the air, but all of the control arms are tight, sway bar end lights and mounts are tight, tie rods are solid and no play at the ball joints. Wheel bearings have no play in them and are quiet, brakes aren't rubbing nor is the heat shield, and the washer fluid tank is secured in the engine bay. I can't hear the noise if the car isn't moving, so it's something rotational but I'm not sure what to check next after ruling out suspension and the wheel bearings.

Sorry to hear about your issue. Maybe a wheel well liner came loose and is rubbing on your wheel.

btw do you have any drone with your exhaust set up? (Z1 HFC, Fast Intentions cat-back)
Old 11-29-2021, 03:07 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Originally Posted by spoolin03
Sorry to hear about your issue. Maybe a wheel well liner came loose and is rubbing on your wheel.

btw do you have any drone with your exhaust set up? (Z1 HFC, Fast Intentions cat-back)

There is some slight drone with the car in 6th and 7th gear around 1500-2000 RPM, but once you get out of that rev range or just keep the throttle extremely light, it's quite manageable. If you have someone sitting in the back seat it's a little more bothersome, but honestly since I do mostly city driving, the car usually lives in 1st - 5th gear so it doesn't bother me. I've heard much worse drone, and for what I paid for the system, I am extremely happy with the daily driveable quality.
The following users liked this post:
spoolin03 (12-07-2021)