G37 Sedan

How to tell if ODO was rolled back on a pre-owned car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 08:20 PM
g37g37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How to tell if ODO was rolled back on a pre-owned car?

Hi all,

If the seller does not have service records for maintenance over the years how else can I tell if the odometer was rolled back?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:37 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Have the car examined by a professional? Look at overall condition of the car, does it match the mileage?

Buy new if you're concerned.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:05 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
It should be stored in multiple modules of the car as well, diagnostics scanners should confirm.
The following users liked this post:
jarvond (10-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:07 PM
g37g37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
It should be stored in multiple modules of the car as well, diagnostics scanners should confirm.
thanks a lot.

yes i plan on bringing it to my mechanic but wasnt sure if there was also something else for me personally to look for during the initial process.

cheers
Old 09-01-2021, 08:15 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 1,075 Posts
As you didn't provide any details about the car, ie. year, current mileage, possible Carfax history, etc. it would be next to impossible to guess if the mileage was altered.

That said, odometer mileage is stored solely on the gauge cluster. Supposedly there are gadgets, gizmos and even online services that will change the odometer (for a ridiculous fee). Any legitimacy to them I have no idea.

Unless the previous owner swapped out the gauge cluster for a different one (which many are doing due to the crappy LED flickering /burnout issue) it is safe to say that vehicle mileage is actual. Still, a thorough inspection and records check would be in order.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:40 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
This is a real thing here in S. FL. no way of knowing either, even worse when you live in a State with no inspections. Bittersweet feeling, I would not have owned my car if it wasnt for that, I dont make enough money to have brought my car back. The amount of money it would have required to what it had taken me a year to do would have been unexplainable.

You can call around local shops and ask them if they have record of the vin and wanted to know if that car had been by first. It would take you having to own the vehicle first.
Trust CarFax and tech like it.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:50 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

^^Sorry, can never trust carfax. At least wre to accident reporting. My old car sustained over $10K in damages but never got reported to CF. Granted this was 2 decades ago so hopefully things have changed.

If someone does their own maintenance, they can still keep records such as receipts for parts/fluids purchased over the years.
Old 09-01-2021, 01:49 PM
g37g37x
Registered Member

Thanks all so much.

Car is a 2012 with just under 80,000 kms on the odometer and currently on it's 2nd owner.

Old 09-07-2021, 04:36 PM
rosskuhns
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
No service records? That's a bit of a red flag.
So ask them what shop they took it to for work, service (they did do oil changes right?). Then give the place a call and see what they have to say about the car. Better yet, have the seller call the place with you and have them print out copies of all the proper service they had done...the records will have dates and mileage on them, you can see if it all adds up.

I don't buy cars without lots of records. Too many people, intelligent and not, and I know them, who just treat their cars like appliances. If it goes and stops, it's fine, no need to take it in and they've never read the manual let alone the service intervals.

My dad used to say: There will always be more cars for sale.
g37g37x (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:11 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

My car had no official service records other than warranty work. Did all my own maintenance. Kept a spreadsheet of date/mileage when what was done.

Still a red flag? I think it's worth to judge the car by its own merits. Do the visible fluids appear refreshed? Does the way car drives and overall condition align with statements seller is making?

If I was buying used, I'd pay the hour or so labor for a proper vehicle inspection if I had concerns. Just did an oil change in the new car. Cut out the filter part # from the OE box and stapled that to the oil receipt, made an entry in a new spreadsheet .
g37g37x (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM
rosskuhns
Registered Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
going points Jsolo, but you do have records at least I too keep a file on each of my cars and bikes; some have a spreadsheet with the work, but I generally just keep the receipt for the parts and handwrite the mileage, date and details on it.

Yes, let's not forget the most important bit - get a PPI done! Have a real mechanic look it over, it's sooooo worth it's price. I've never had someone do a PPI on a car and not have it pay for itself at a minimum, usually much more - the most important one 'walk away from this one'. I wrenched for years on just miatas, and I've have customers bring me miatas for an inspection; nobody ever lost $$ on that - they'd know what it needed and could negotiate or plan for the service.
g37g37x (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 07:26 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I am not aware of any scan tool that will read the mileage on a Infiniti.
On a BMW, yes as the mileage is stored in multiple modules (typically the IKE and GM)

As mentioned, go by the condition of the car, how it drives and how much ware is on the typical touch surfaces. (steering wheel, brake pedal, etc)

g37g37x (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:33 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Originally Posted by rosskuhns
going points Jsolo, but you do have records at least I too keep a file on each of my cars and bikes; some have a spreadsheet with the work, but I generally just keep the receipt for the parts and handwrite the mileage, date and details on it.
Actually, for the G, i've done so many oil changes, and other fluid refreshes. Oil filters were bought in bulk, 5 or 10 at a times (oe filters), fluids were ordered on amazon, ebay, etc, whoever had the best price (redline, pennzoil, and some others). It would take some time searching through emails and logging in to generate actual receipts. I'm glad my buyer never requested them.

Old 09-07-2021, 09:03 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by SonicVQ
I am not aware of any scan tool that will read the mileage on a Infiniti.
On a BMW, yes as the mileage is stored in multiple modules (typically the IKE and GM)

As mentioned, go by the condition of the car, how it drives and how much ware is on the typical touch surfaces. (steering wheel, brake pedal, etc)
I've seen it on the CANBUS. But, I'm not sure if it's just reading it off the cluster. Good point though.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:06 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 275 Posts
I've seen it on the CANBUS. But, I'm not sure if it's just reading it off the cluster. Good point though.
Yes it is.... at 5C5. That's how the BCM knows what to write into its EEPROM, however I know how/if it is used to verify mileage.