G37 Sedan

Suspicious G37 Sedan Mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 02:20 AM
Gillan
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Suspicious G37 Sedan Mod

So I was browsing around for a potential G37 daily driver on Copart and IAAI when I came across a moderately modified 2011 G37 Sedan. The mod that really caught my attention was some strange little black box either screwed or glued to the center console, which had a wire that was soldered to a logic board with multiple wires soldered to it. Some of the wires were funneled through the center console and to the back seat footwells, where they were presumably fed underneath the carpeting and grounded to bare metal. I'm not an electrical engineer though, so I have no clue what it could possibly be. Also, some of those wires went to the front passenger footwell and it just becomes even more confusing and suspicious the more I look at the pictures. The reason why I'm asking about this is because I won the car and now I'm feeling really anxious not knowing what it is. Any answers or even guesses as to what the purpose of those wires are would be much appreciated. Also, sorry for the not so clear screenshots. My tow guy is picking it up next week so I can't upload any clear close up shots yet.

UPDATE:
I just got the car and checked out the wires, they are indeed for RGB footwell lighting.
Check out this link for part 2

Last edited by Gillan; 08-31-2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:03 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Without a visual inspection or other confirmation we are all flying blind here.

If I were to venture a guess, being that the wires appear to go to each footwell area: they could be a "poor man's" ambient/ footwell LED lighting kit.

Whatever it is, that wiring job is absolute crap. Be interesting to see what those wires actually are...
The following users liked this post:
Gillan (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:18 AM
Madden_07
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess could also be that its running to the traction control module that's under the center console, the only true way to turn it off is to disable this module so maybe the previous owner was doing that.

See this thread for what I'm referring to:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-control.html
Gillan (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:38 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Yeah im gonna guess footwell LEDs. No idea though. post more pics for sure when it arrives, im curious now.
Gillan (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 11:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Worst exhaust cutoff wiring job ever.

jk jk. I've always wanted an exhaust cutoff, LOL
Gillan (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:08 PM
Gillan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Worst exhaust cutoff wiring job ever.

jk jk. I've always wanted an exhaust cutoff, LOL
I'm not sure if that could be the case since the G does seem to have an aftermarket exhaust already (can't say whether it's an axleback or catback yet). But again, I wouldn't know because the most modding I've ever done on any car is simple bolt-ons and painting stuff here and there. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-28-2021, 03:15 PM
Gillan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by iCrap
Yeah im gonna guess footwell LEDs. No idea though. post more pics for sure when it arrives, im curious now.
That was my assumption when I first saw the pictures but I have never seen this kind of wiring for footwell LED's. Specifically, I haven't seen anyone ever utilize a suspicious looking black box and circuit board to do the job. But yea, I won't be able to know for sure until I get the car on Monday. I'll make sure to take a few pictures and upload them.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:20 PM
RA081224
Banned

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillan
So I was browsing around for a potential G37 daily driver on Copart and IAAI when I came across a moderately modified 2011 G37 Sedan. The mod that really caught my attention was some strange little black box either screwed or glued to the center console, which had a wire that was soldered to a logic board with multiple wires soldered to it. Some of the wires were funneled through the center console and to the back seat footwells, where they were presumably fed underneath the carpeting and grounded to bare metal. I'm not an electrical engineer though, so I have no clue what it could possibly be. Also, some of those wires went to the front passenger footwell and it just becomes even more confusing and suspicious the more I look at the pictures. The reason why I'm asking about this is because I won the car and now I'm feeling really anxious not knowing what it is. Any answers or even guesses as to what the purpose of those wires are would be much appreciated. Also, sorry for the not so clear screenshots. My tow guy is picking it up next week so I can't upload any clear close up shots yet.

When you take possession of the vehicle, take a closeup pic of the circuit board and the "black box" Also if you can find the termination point for the wires it would help
Gillan (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Gillan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Madden_07
My guess could also be that its running to the traction control module that's under the center console, the only true way to turn it off is to disable this module so maybe the previous owner was doing that.

See this thread for what I'm referring to:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-control.html
Interesting, I always thought that you can get away with completely turning off traction control by simply pulling a fuse. But I must say that the suspicious looking black box looks similar to what I saw in the pictures of the thread that you linked. But I won't know for sure until I get up close and personal with it next week (taking pics and uploading them here in other words, lol)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:23 PM
Gillan
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Absinthe
Any chance you could take a closeup pic of the circuit board? Are there any plugs/sockets on this board? Can you open the "black box" and take a pic of the insides?
I won't be able to do any of that until the tow guy brings it Monday morning. The pics I uploaded are screenshots that I took on the auction page. I'll make sure to take some close up pics when I get it
Old 08-28-2021, 03:56 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillan
...footwell LED's. Specifically, I haven't seen anyone ever utilize a suspicious looking black box and circuit board to do the job.
The newer OEM kits utilize a central "black box" wherein all the LED lighting modules plug into.

I have the newer Q60 kit installed in my G.

I will admit I am very old to the point I would never buy a car "sight unseen." I know this is a modern trend now, but you just never fully know what you're getting.

Either way, I wish you well with the car. Time will tell what those mystery wires are...
Gillan (08-29-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 09:56 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
LEDs for sure.
Gillan (08-29-2021)