G37 Sedan

Bizarre fuel gauge / instrument cluster issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:41 AM
loganbelmont15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bizarre fuel gauge / instrument cluster issue

Hi there. I've read through hundreds of posts about fuel gauge and instrument cluster issues here but can't find anyone who has experienced my exact problem.

In my 2009 G37x, the fuel gauge is intermittently stays on empty (even with a fuel tank) when I turn the vehicle on, and the low fuel warning will come on (see picture). Over the course of a 30-minute drive or so, the warning light goes off and the fuel gauge adjusts to the proper level.

The rest of the cluster works mostly fine, but there are exceptions. When the key fob is in the car and vehicle is off, the dashboard makes an errant beeping noise and center trip computer blinks. Also, the SLIP and VDC OFF buttons occasionally light up for no apparent reason (see picture), and the light seems to be out between the 6 and the 7 on the tachometer.

I've taken it to the dealership and they were unable to diagnose, so they recommend replacing the entire cluster. I sought a second opinion from a mechanic who specializes in car electronics, and he thought it was an AC unit which is wired to the fuel gauge. The replacement didn't work.

I guess my broad questions: has anyone experienced this, and is there any type of consensus as to whether this is a fuel sending unit issue or an issue with the entire cluster? Since the cluster is mostly normal, I'm guessing it's a fuel sending unit issue and the wiring from it is impacting a few other areas of the cluster, but have no expertise here.

Thanks for the help in advance!