G37 Sedan

Restoring and Upgrading Suspension Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 04:52 PM
infiniticarplug
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Restoring and Upgrading Suspension Project

Started a different aspect of the project since I completed the tune and power modifications. I was going to continue squeezing out NA power until I had the realization that it was a never ending task and that my shocks had to be replaced lol. So I have turned my focus onto restoring components of the suspension system along with upgrading. Figured if I was going to have do the shocks all around after the swift springs accelerated their remaining lifetime.

Game plan for everything so far which is probably going to change by adding more items is...

KYB Shocks
SPC adjustable upper control arm
Z1 combo or Kinetix combo traction and and camber arms
SPL awd adjustable front midlinks
Adjustable rear midlinks
Sway bar really only Hotchkis for the AWD unless I go with just an upgrade in the rear

Have not been sold on a pair of coilovers for the AWD yet, so until then will keep the swift springs. Just waiting on the front shocks to arrive again since carid.com messed up another order for me. Rear shocks have already been installed will post pictures throughout the process. The SPC upper arms are sitting on my dining room table. If anyone has an suggestions for another area of concern that I should upgrade let me know. Will post along the project with pictures.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:13 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
You can always add a front strut bar to your car...it'll firm up things - especially now that you're adding new shocks to your Swifts...

BTW, I ordered my set of KYB's via SummitRacing and it was shipped out pretty quickly - they had a good deal at the time.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:41 AM
infiniticarplug
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CPJ LB
You can always add a front strut bar to your car...it'll firm up things - especially now that you're adding new shocks to your Swifts...

BTW, I ordered my set of KYB's via SummitRacing and it was shipped out pretty quickly - they had a good deal at the time.
I should have ordered from someone else. Carid.com was about 100 less for the whole set, but this is the 2nd issue with shipping. First package went to the otherside of nj down by Philly, when I am all the way up in Northern NJ by NYC lol. 2nd shipment only the passenger front shock came and the box was mangled. Complete cluster F*#& so far.

I actually did the Cusco Strut Tower Brace a few months back already and I love it.
Old 08-23-2021, 08:27 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by infiniticarplug
I should have ordered from someone else. Carid.com was about 100 less for the whole set, but this is the 2nd issue with shipping. First package went to the otherside of nj down by Philly, when I am all the way up in Northern NJ by NYC lol. 2nd shipment only the passenger front shock came and the box was mangled. Complete cluster F*#& so far.

I actually did the Cusco Strut Tower Brace a few months back already and I love it.
sorry to hear about the shipping issues... +1 on the Cusco STB - I have the same for my car. It pairs well with my adjustable rear sway bar (Eibach) I'm in CT and had my car down in NJ (Level 10) for the tranny upgrade. Glad to see your build is going well!!
Old 08-24-2021, 11:49 AM
infiniticarplug
Registered Member

Just got the call from customer service this morning after getting some sort of help from them yesterday. Said that I could expect the driver side strut today or latest tomorrow, hopefully it comes undamaged. I think I just have bad luck with them. I am not sure of how far down the rabbit hole to go with this suspension overhaul. First I will complete the stuff that is on my list, if I am not satisfied with end result I guess I will go into replacing other areas to see if that gives me my desired end result. I actually work not that far from Level 10, I know eventually I will be using them for the bullet proof trans too.

Did you also do just the rear sway bar on your G?

I have to post some pictures when I have the car on the lift this week. Ideally I will be doing the work on Thursday or Friday, if we are slow. Which the car business is absolutely dead right now, between end of the summer and chip shortage it is like a complete stand still. Should have more than enough time to do it this week.