G37 Sedan

17" stock rim tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 12:37 PM
sounderview
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17" stock rim tire sizes

Hello all, New member here. I spent several minutes searching tire thread posts before posting this question. I could not find anything for my specific rim size. I have a 2013 sedan with stock 17" rims. Has anyone put a 235s on these rims? Mine is 2wd and is slick as snot in the rain. I was thinking at least a little wider tire might provide some better wet weather traction for the year end. I am in Florida, lots of rain. Has anybody just put wider tires on just the back? Will that mess with the traction control if the rear tires a little bit taller? I do not want to go to aftermarket rims, I like the stock look.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:16 AM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes.

I ran 235/50/17 on my G. Fitment is not an issue at all.

I will give you some advice and get the best possible brand you can afford. I would stay away from Federal, Nankang, Westlake, or any other cheap tire. I have run pretty much every tire known to man and I am pretty partial to the Continental DWS line. Michelin’s are just to hard for me.

the counties should run you around $150 a tire maybe cheaper if you wait until Labor Day.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:48 PM
sounderview
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Noogie Lamont
Yes.

I ran 235/50/17 on my G. Fitment is not an issue at all.

I will give you some advice and get the best possible brand you can afford. I would stay away from Federal, Nankang, Westlake, or any other cheap tire. I have run pretty much every tire known to man and I am pretty partial to the Continental DWS line. Michelin’s are just to hard for me.

the counties should run you around $150 a tire maybe cheaper if you wait until Labor Day.
Thanks for the advice, I currently have Sailun Atrezzos with a lot of tread left, wet pavement traction is like driving on snow.
Old 08-20-2021, 11:20 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sounderview
Hello all, New member here. I spent several minutes searching tire thread posts before posting this question. I could not find anything for my specific rim size. I have a 2013 sedan with stock 17" rims. Has anyone put a 235s on these rims? Mine is 2wd and is slick as snot in the rain. I was thinking at least a little wider tire might provide some better wet weather traction for the year end. I am in Florida, lots of rain. Has anybody just put wider tires on just the back? Will that mess with the traction control if the rear tires a little bit taller? I do not want to go to aftermarket rims, I like the stock look.
I literally just had this done today. I went with 235/50/17 Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+. I'm picking the car up this afternoon, I'll let you know if there's any noticeable difference from the slightly larger tire (have had the stock Goodyear Eagle's on since I bought the car 2 years ago).
Old 08-20-2021, 03:33 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sounderview
Thanks for the advice, I currently have Sailun Atrezzos with a lot of tread left, wet pavement traction is like driving on snow.
Picked up the car and just like Noogie said, no fitment issues. The steering feel is pretty much the same, maybe a tad bit slower if anything. But I will say this, the difference in going from those old Goodyear Eagles to the Yokohama's is night and day. Now, I'm pretty sure that can be said for any new tire but these really do feel great so far. Tire noise is almost non existent and they have softened the ride quite a bit making it more comfortable on these awful NJ roads. We'll see how well they hold up with winter approaching. But as far as you're concerned, there's no problems going with the 235's. Hope this helps, good luck man!
Old 08-20-2021, 05:35 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
Ran the pilot sport A/S 3+ in 235/50/17 on the accord. This too was on a 7.5" wheel. Tires looked good on those wheels. Very comfortable and capable handling tire. Steering sufficiently responsive (not as responsive as the PSS was on the G). Great cornering (even on that car). I pushed as hard as seemed comfortable. Never heard the tire make any noise on the on/off ramps taken at speed.

Wear was on par with ratings. At 10K tires were at ~8/32nds. Square set up so rotated every 4-5K miles (once a year).

Been running michelin performance tires on bikes and cars for the last decade+. Had excellent experience with them on the bikes which is why they're on the car now.

I don't know what the stock tire/size is in the 17" offering. What I would do is check tire rack for specs on the OE tire. Specifically look at rev/mile. Then look at your tire of choice/size. is the rev/mi same/similar? Then you're in good shape to not screw up the speedometer.
Old 08-21-2021, 09:37 AM
sounderview
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Nitro15
Picked up the car and just like Noogie said, no fitment issues. The steering feel is pretty much the same, maybe a tad bit slower if anything. But I will say this, the difference in going from those old Goodyear Eagles to the Yokohama's is night and day. Now, I'm pretty sure that can be said for any new tire but these really do feel great so far. Tire noise is almost non existent and they have softened the ride quite a bit making it more comfortable on these awful NJ roads. We'll see how well they hold up with winter approaching. But as far as you're concerned, there's no problems going with the 235's. Hope this helps, good luck man!
yes, thanks!
Old 08-22-2021, 04:49 AM
Noogie Lamont
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
@Jsolo ,

Good point out on the speedo being off. I totally forgot.

in this case going from the stock 225/55/17s to 235/50/17 the car would be two miles an hour off from the speed you set the car on. So to make this easy you set the car at 70 you are really going 68 even the Speedo is showing 70.

The Revs per mile are 754.2 on the stock 225s and 768 with the 235s.

As far as fuel loss it’s fairly minor but still a loss maybe around 2 MPG or so when tires are at 10/32 of tread. But we don’t drive these cars for fuel economy. That’s like me saying I bought my Scat Pack 392 Charger as a daily driver commuter special lol..

The brand of tire on the OPs car is also a cheaper brand. The Pilot Sport AS3+ in my opinion is one of the worst tires for rain or light snow. I ran this tire for less then 250 miles before I went back to the Continental DWS series tires. And I have run every version of DWS on all my cars for the least ten years. The Yokohama’s are also OK but that’s it as far as my thoughts. No warranty or ride guarantee after purchase from Yokohama at all. The feel to me on Yokohama’s is just very unconnected and even worse in wet weather.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:05 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 590 Likes on 494 Posts
That's really surprising to hear. What size AS3+'s did you run on what size wheels?

I had the 235/50/17 on 17" on the accord. No issues in the rain. Of course I drive speed appropriate for conditions too and don't go nuts in the rain or snow. Light snow was fine too. So strange to have such differing opinions of the same tire. Suggests other factors involved.