G37 Sedan

Z1 Rear Subframe Collars

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:19 AM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Z1 Rear Subframe Collars

Has anyone installed this product on their car?

Do they have any inputs? I did watch some youtube videos where a guy installed them on his car and praised them, but I feel like with youtube, everyone's trying to promote things and themselves so I can't rely on their words.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,722 Likes on 3,527 Posts
I don't, but lots of members have these. I keep putting them on my list, then taking them off again. The opinions I've gathered are varied. Inexpensive, relatively easy to install, with an obvious design intent. Also, a fair amount of NVH, and mostly effective on a car that's loose for other reasons. For a car that's buttoned down pretty tight already, it's probably not worth the effort or even noticeable.

Take that for what it's worth... opinions based on reading other opinions, from a person who's not been shy about suspension bracing.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:00 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
For what I've read

Performance vs vibrations

Collars do a better job vs the diff mount which makes sense since the subframe moves less but still leaves the diff to absorb some of the vibrations.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:18 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 282 Likes on 232 Posts
I have the collars but from inspection, my bushing were in decent shape. i installed my collar with the diff bushing and diff brace so its hard for me to tell what items did what
Old 08-11-2021, 10:54 AM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't, but lots of members have these. I keep putting them on my list, then taking them off again. The opinions I've gathered are varied. Inexpensive, relatively easy to install, with an obvious design intent. Also, a fair amount of NVH, and mostly effective on a car that's loose for other reasons. For a car that's buttoned down pretty tight already, it's probably not worth the effort or even noticeable.

Take that for what it's worth... opinions based on reading other opinions, from a person who's not been shy about suspension bracing.
Yeah I'm also on the fence if I should do it. Mine is pretty new at 2017, and I'm sure the current ones are perfectly fine, but I was hoping to make the car feel more sporty since they're kind of soft from the factory.

Originally Posted by BULL
For what I've read

Performance vs vibrations

Collars do a better job vs the diff mount which makes sense since the subframe moves less but still leaves the diff to absorb some of the vibrations.
That's what I was hoping. I have the diff brace on currently, and some whiteline diff bushings waiting to go in. I would imagine with all 3 I should be able to break loose pretty easily if I wanted to.

Originally Posted by projectpanda13
I have the collars but from inspection, my bushing were in decent shape. i installed my collar with the diff bushing and diff brace so its hard for me to tell what items did what
Hey! My future twin! Jk. Do you notice more NVH with all that? Could you compare the feel with all 3 vs stock?
Old 08-11-2021, 03:12 PM
BULL
Moderador

Thought it's your car you and the forum would benefit by doing one at a time to really find out what's really the happy medium.

I theorize that the brace helps a bad bushing tremendously and the collars will have you where you want to be, lastly the bushing will firm everything up but will be the one to add a bit of vibration.

Keep us updated.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:10 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

I don't mind doing that. These collars seem attainable enough to throw in for my next order from Z1 (I just realized I need longer stud bolts, crap!). I guess I'll do the collars next and document that in a separate thread when I do. I don't want to touch my differential for a while right now
Old 08-11-2021, 04:15 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

As for the Bell Works brace that I installed, the one thing I noticed MOST was a weird one:

While the car is traveling (say at 40mph or 30mph) and I give it more gas to get it moving, the car starts picking up speed more quickly after the brace. That one is almost fact for me. Everything else seemed the same or similar.

I do have the regular brace and not the non-finned cover brace that was custom batched, which looks sturdier than mine.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:23 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin03
As for the Bell Works brace that I installed, the one thing I noticed MOST was a weird one:

While the car is traveling (say at 40mph or 30mph) and I give it more gas to get it moving, the car starts picking up speed more quickly after the brace. That one is almost fact for me. Everything else seemed the same or similar.

I do have the regular brace and not the non-finned cover brace that was custom batched, which looks sturdier than mine.
Agree'd. I felt the same sensation after installing the diff brace. Power gets to the wheels faster and more efficiently which results in a snapper throttle/acceleration experience.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:16 PM
BULL
Moderador

It should. I feel my blown bushing essentially get up from the sofa and walk to the kitchen as I give it gas. So the brace should act as the mini fridge at arms reach
Old 08-12-2021, 01:43 AM
PhatherPhish
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I installed the diff. bushings first, then a few weeks later I did the collars. The bushings alone did not change much in terms of handling or ride quality but the collars have made the car noticeably stiffer. it is not a huge difference but it’s enough that I feel more confident taking corners at higher speeds, and handling is more precise overall.

For the price and ease of installation, I think they are worth it. The only downside I have found is that NVH is pretty bad. When accelerating from a dead stop, braking, and taking low-speed turns they tend to grind against the subframe.
The following users liked this post:
BULL (08-13-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 03:23 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
It should. I feel my blown bushing essentially get up from the sofa and walk to the kitchen as I give it gas. So the brace should act as the mini fridge at arms reach
As long as she moves
Old 08-12-2021, 03:24 PM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PhatherPhish
I installed the diff. bushings first, then a few weeks later I did the collars. The bushings alone did not change much in terms of handling or ride quality but the collars have made the car noticeably stiffer. it is not a huge difference but it’s enough that I feel more confident taking corners at higher speeds, and handling is more precise overall.

For the price and ease of installation, I think they are worth it. The only downside I have found is that NVH is pretty bad. When accelerating from a dead stop, braking, and taking low-speed turns they tend to grind against the subframe.
Thanks for your input!

So it sounds like the metal bushings themselves grind against the subframe and/or frame? What if you put some sort of material between the metals?
Old 08-12-2021, 07:22 PM
PhatherPhish
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolin03
Thanks for your input!

So it sounds like the metal bushings themselves grind against the subframe and/or frame? What if you put some sort of material between the metals?
Yeah I should probably get around to putting some silicone in between. I tried reusing the rubber washers that already sit between the bushing and subframe but they do not seat properly on the collars since the inner portion of the washer is stepped down.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:35 PM
BULL
Moderador

Spoolin, I would suggest you then maybe get the white grease energy suspension uses with theirs and glob masses of it in the cavities.

I'm wondering if the collars will seal that area up or if it will create a squishing of toothpaste effect because silicone..... siliconing them in? I dont know...

Quick Reply: Z1 Rear Subframe Collars