Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Sell or mod? Hear me out

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 04:53 PM
wannabetoughguy
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Yea, Gen 2 is the best FI candidate out the box but honestly, Gen 3 is just fine if you're planning 'street' power. The 10AT will be fine under 800whp. Definitely need some wider rubber. My '16 came with the 255/275 set-up so I'm going to see what I can do with that and upgrade if the car struggles to put the power down. I also did the BMR lockout kit which really helped things out. Before that, I'd get crazy wheel hop at stock power. Personally, hoping for 600; anything more is house money.

Funny, I'm actually surprised by how much 'cheaper' the Mustang is in comparison the the G. Full 3' exhaust is 1k whereas most name brand G exhausts are a couple hundred more. Built MT is less than 4k where the 7AT is about 5k for a built unit. Not cheap by any means but even the Paxton kit is cheaper than most offerings for the G.

I've got a Paxton 2200SL that started going in today. Pre-install tear down is complete and the head unit bracket just went on. Going to install the head unit, IC and possibly the air intake unit tomorrow. Going to go with Lund for the tuning.
Yeah I need suspension mods too. The bmr performance springs didn't do much besides lowering it. I want sharper turn in and wider tires. Lighter wheels too. My g37x on just Megan springs has sharper turn in I don't know if that's because of the awd though.

Parts are well priced price. I'm tempted to get a 2016+ q50/60 I saw a YouTube video this week of someone getting 900whp with upgraded turbos, built trans, fueling, and pistons/rods. I'd be happy with fbo on 93 making 450+ wheel. I know the turbos would go sooner than later, but yeah what a platform. It does seem less reliable than the vq37hr, but not that bad and the trade off in power seems worth it. I won't be buying any more mods until this time next year.

I might get another car before further modding the mustang. I figure in two years I'll owe $12k or less on mine and will decide on whether to buy the new Z, gr86, something used, new supra, or even a Challenger, 300, or charger. Can't have them all, but it has to be different from the mustang for which I plan to keep until I'm too old. I will need an awd car, truck, or suv in the staple though. In owing $12k or less i think I can get pre approved for anything under $45k. Even more if I pay it off. I had a $63k pre approval last year with an inflated income lol. I considered jdm supras, gtrs, ls3 c6s, you name it, but chose the cheapest a10 in the country. I wanted a camaro, but Chevy wasn't going to honor their rebates. Ultimately, I'm glad I got the 5.0 it's special and so many builds already done so I can choose which direction I want to go.

Maybe a Whipple or sleeper kit one day, but I don't plan on being on 1320 video or getting serious with drag racing lol. I want it to handle better which is why I didn't get drag springs.

Last edited by wannabetoughguy; 06-19-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:10 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I think a 305 wide square set-up will give you what you're looking for. Also, K-brace and a sway bar upgrade should work wonders in the handling department.

One of the revised Toy-baru twins would be a nice balance to the Mustang. Keep the G as the AWD warrior or trade in towards a truck or SUV if they are a requirement.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:31 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 196 Posts
Focus on paying off that credit card debt vs. modifying the mustang. Keep the G as close as to stock possible OR sell it if you don't need it. I am not sure where you are located but the Mustang is a fine car to drive year round.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:33 PM
Mobius G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabetoughguy
Nice. You described the mustang forum as I saw it too. From my understanding Gen 2s are better suited for FI. If I do go FI one day I'll start with the predator block. I know very little about the platform though. Still learning and if it's FI one day it's either a Whipple or sleeper kit. The ten speed will have to be beefed up and I'll also need a daily.

Stock form is a handful with 235 tires. I have a long way to go. I might just do full exhaust, CJ, and a steeda intake. But, that's about half the cost of a blower. The car is too much for the street I will go to the track when I'm due for new tires. Modding is expensive.

Are you putting a blower on or going turbo?

I assume he still has the car. I'd probably keep it too with all the money invested. It was complete.
I have also been wondering what happen to Matt Lorentzoe. His IG account is not up. Super nice guy and very helpful!
Old 07-10-2021, 08:51 AM
VitalZ
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Without knowing what else is going on in your life it's tough to say. I'm my 20's I had the car mod bug and spent a lot of money on mods for Mustangs. It was fun but ultimately a money pit. The more your mod the more other things break on your car and the more you need to sink into it.. Since you have a very solid daily drive in the G and your fun car. I'd say to leave the G37 as is and put the money into modding the Mustang or pay down your credit card debt. Trust me, if you sell your G37 for something else you'll have a car payment again and might get bored of it in a couple years.
I'd say keep both cars, don't mod the G and focus on credit card debt and the Mustang.