G37 Sedan

Shock Tower Blank Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 07:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Project done for now

Center caps showed up this afternoon. Obviously I knew they were about 50mm, but they seemed so small in my hand. Two little boxes, two in each box. The gunmetal finish on the plastic is quite nice, with a brushed concentric pattern in the middle, just like in the advertised pics.

I had to remove the FSTB in order to install them. The driver's side was simply too tight a fit to get it in place, so I intentionally broke off one of the tabs off, and problem solved. Perfect fit once in place, very snug. The passenger side, however... that was too loose. After clipping into place, it was easily rattling. The fix here was to remove it by lifting it out with a little screwdriver, and wrapping a small piece of electrical tape around each of the tabs. After that, snap it back in place, and another perfect fit. I don't think I'm going with any inserts or vinyl wrap, just keep them the way they are. I'll put the other box on the shelf in case they have to be removed, or whatever.

The downside to this little project is recognition of a creeping rust starting around the sharp edges of the FSTB brackets. Damn it. I mean, it's been 8 years since I bought the FSTB brand new, and I had the brackets powdercoated black, but nothing lasts forever. I'll probably get ambitious some day and have them re-powdercoated. Just not today.

Anyway... pics. These are keepers just they way they are.

/project

Last edited by Rochester; 06-16-2021 at 07:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zack342 (01-17-2024)
Old 06-16-2021, 08:25 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Those are a good looking addition to your engine bay. I had my hood open today and I stood pondering how to clean things up further. My coil-overs sit up above the slot a fair amount, more than just the adjuster **** itself. I’m thinking a piece similar to yours with a hole cut through the center and a grommet neatly placed to allow the adjuster to pass through might be a nice look.

Now that you solved that issue... do you have any thoughts on an elegant solution to the coolant overflow tank? It’s ugliness bothers me immensely. I know Bull tried to relocate it but sounds like it was unsuccessful. I was contemplating the idea of locating in front of the radiator and cutting small hole for the cap in the plastic cover. I don’t love the idea of restricting air flow to the radiator though, it would also be slightly lower which may be problematic... In a perfect world I’d have both the money to afford a nice tig welder and the time to learn how to tig weld well and then I’d build myself a nicer aluminum overflow tank. Alas dreams...
Old 06-17-2021, 08:58 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Center caps showed up this afternoon. Obviously I knew they were about 50mm, but they seemed so small in my hand. Two little boxes, two in each box. The gunmetal finish on the plastic is quite nice, with a brushed concentric pattern in the middle, just like in the advertised pics.

I had to remove the FSTB in order to install them. The driver's side was simply too tight a fit to get it in place, so I intentionally broke off one of the tabs off, and problem solved. Perfect fit once in place, very snug. The passenger side, however... that was too loose. After clipping into place, it was easily rattling. The fix here was to remove it by lifting it out with a little screwdriver, and wrapping a small piece of electrical tape around each of the tabs. After that, snap it back in place, and another perfect fit. I don't think I'm going with any inserts or vinyl wrap, just keep them the way they are. I'll put the other box on the shelf in case they have to be removed, or whatever.

The downside to this little project is recognition of a creeping rust starting around the sharp edges of the FSTB brackets. Damn it. I mean, it's been 8 years since I bought the FSTB brand new, and I had the brackets powdercoated black, but nothing lasts forever. I'll probably get ambitious some day and have them re-powdercoated. Just not today.

Anyway... pics. These are keepers just they way they are.

/project

Looks badass, once Icrap starts making blanks for the wiring you should tackle the power cables

Originally Posted by KidJai06
Those are a good looking addition to your engine bay. I had my hood open today and I stood pondering how to clean things up further. My coil-overs sit up above the slot a fair amount, more than just the adjuster **** itself. I’m thinking a piece similar to yours with a hole cut through the center and a grommet neatly placed to allow the adjuster to pass through might be a nice look.

Now that you solved that issue... do you have any thoughts on an elegant solution to the coolant overflow tank? It’s ugliness bothers me immensely. I know Bull tried to relocate it but sounds like it was unsuccessful. I was contemplating the idea of locating in front of the radiator and cutting small hole for the cap in the plastic cover. I don’t love the idea of restricting air flow to the radiator though, it would also be slightly lower which may be problematic... In a perfect world I’d have both the money to afford a nice tig welder and the time to learn how to tig weld well and then I’d build myself a nicer aluminum overflow tank. Alas dreams...
I think my Failure is because I have an unusual build up of coolant pressure. Its been like that for 20k miles and usually gives me a small drip here and there.
It happened when I replaced the water pump. I went and deleted the TB hoses and upgraded to silicone rad hoses along with an aftermaket cap. Had small leaks through the hoses, then the cap, then the caps I used to delete the TB coolant.
So I was never able to continue with the research of the reservoir but it's pending.

I think the best course is to use an aftermarket cylindrical reservoir, one with the barbs at the bottom so the weight of the coolant can keep some pressure on it.
From factory and for what I've seen the factory cap doesnt fully stop coolant, even on the test engine I have with an OEM cap it passes coolant in and out of the reservoir.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Those are a good looking addition to your engine bay.
Originally Posted by BULL
Looks badass
Thanks, guys. Nice to see this come together so quickly. I was half expecting to d1ck around with it all summer.

Now that you solved that issue... do you have any thoughts on an elegant solution to the coolant overflow tank? It’s ugliness bothers me immensely.
That's not on my radar. Not a problem looking for a solution, IMO.

If you want to feel better about the look of the G37 coolant overflow bin, open the hood of any Mustang and have a SMH moment.
Old 06-17-2021, 10:40 AM
BULL
Moderador

Thanks, guys. Nice to see this come together so quickly. I was half expecting to d1ck around with it all summer.

That's not on my radar. Not a problem looking for a solution, IMO.

If you want to feel better about the look of the G37 coolant overflow bin, open the hood of any Mustang and have a SMH moment.
You mind If I post your pics on FB?
Old 06-17-2021, 10:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
You mind If I post your pics on FB?
I don't mind. I don't FB.

You know what I've only recently noticed by looking at your engine bay? You cut out all the hole plugs. Actually, half the plugs aren't plugs, they're just adhesive hole covers. Anyway, they're all black. Notice all the black dots on the wheel arches.

I think I should replace them with white dots.

Search Amazon for "Adhesive Cover Caps PVC White"... all kinds of sizes and stuff. Hmm.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:14 AM
BULL
Moderador

I don't mind. I don't FB.

You know what I've only recently noticed by looking at your engine bay? You cut out all the hole plugs. Actually, half the plugs aren't plugs, they're just adhesive hole covers. Anyway, they're all black. Notice all the black dots on the wheel arches.

I think I should replace them with white dots.

Search Amazon for "Adhesive Cover Caps PVC White"... all kinds of sizes and stuff. Hmm.
You mean some of these sanded down and painted with touch up paint. Will be a nice addition.
Buy more of these for when you decide to move that wiring

Old 06-17-2021, 11:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

The larger ones are hole plugs like that. However, the smaller ones seem to simply be stickers. More later as I figure it out.

As for the wire tuck... until or unless I read up on it more thoroughly, it's just an idea, not a goal. We'll see. Never say never.
Old 06-17-2021, 01:37 PM
BULL
Moderador

The larger ones are hole plugs like that. However, the smaller ones seem to simply be stickers. More later as I figure it out.

As for the wire tuck... until or unless I read up on it more thoroughly, it's just an idea, not a goal. We'll see. Never say never.
Ah yes the stickers. So if your paint code is QX1 - Avery wraps makes an Ivory white pearl that is close to the outside color. Unsure if it'll blend with the flat paint in the bay but try ordering samples and go from there.